Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids skis, boots, helmets...

Poster: A snowHead
Having just driven to Austria and paid £172 for a weeks ski hire for a 7 & 10 year old, I'm wondering about buying, probably not boots, but skis and helmets...

The hire split was:

Skis 45 euro per pair
Boots 15 euro per pair
Helmets 33 euro per helmet

Just wondering what others have done in similiar situations?

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, My daughter is 14. She's had her own helmet since she was about 10 I think, 2 in total, only paid £20 or so for each. I got her first skis and boots when she was 12. The first skis (144's) lasted 2 years, 5 weeks, and I got about 50% back when I sold them. Got her some new ones, 155's, for this year. Her boots still fit her, size 5, they were probably a little big when I got them but are about right now, I suspect her feet have just about stopped growing. I got all of those items in sales.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, I have just bought my two (age 11 and 13) helmets at 50% discount in end of season sale in resort, cost 17.50 and 19.50 euros respectively as I thought even if they outgrow them within 1 or 2 seasons I will still have saved on costs of hiring (judging by how often I have needed to replace daughter's riding helmet I hope to get at least 2 seasons use, barring accidents).

Helmet hire you have quoted above seems relatively expensive, I thought I only paid about 9 euros per week per child in France (small resort)? Also prefer the idea of not having their heads inside a helmet that has had umpteen other sweaty (and possibly nitty!) heads in it...and the ones I bought had better ventilation etc than the hire equipment. Plus I was able to get a good fit and the children liked the designs of the helmets I bought, and they are quite distinctive, making them easy to spot at a distance.

The downside of having helmets is that they take up more space in luggage, but not such an issue if you are driving rather than flying.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Good age gap, same as mine. Buy the lot. No question that you save cash and its big cash!!

If necessary get the youngest 2nd hand first time round, but even if new by the time you sell in on via ebay you will still be quids in.

Buy boot, and skis slightly on the long side each time you renew, probably then get two years (in particular from the skis, before handing down).

Get one-two years out of both, then hand largest down to youngest - I find their shoe size keeps track re: the ski boots. If you don't have matching sexes then get unisex colours/graphics (N.B. Do the same with their ski outfits).

Drawbacks, you will have to keep going the 'sell it on', 'buy it again' front, and you will have a youngest who always gets the hand-me-downs. Explain its either that or no skiing 'cos you can't afford it - make it up to youngest in some other way.

Plus point - you will be on the saving side of things within one year if you take into the resale value when the stuff is finally outgrown. Second plus point is kids will feel very special on the slope if they know they have their own gear. Don't forget a lock for their skis too - good security point, and teaches them some responsibility for their own kit if they get to lock it up each time.

'Simples' said the Meercats Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My 3 all have their own kit,
Skis 6 year old some Pale twin tips that cost about £80, 10 year old Salomon Jades, about the same price, 14 year old secondhand atomic betacarv 8.18s about £50 from ebay. Guess little one will be ready for middle one's Jades by the time she grows out of the Pales.
Helmets 2 have sub 10 quid ones from Decathlon they said felt better than the much more expensive ones, the 10 year old has a £20 ish one from skiwear4less as the decathlon ones didn't fit her.
Boots, 6 year old very happy with a second hand set from here, sold her first set which she grew out of on ebay for about 1/3 more than I paid for them new on ebay. For very little feet there just isn't the range of options avilable or demand placed on the boots so I woudn't worry too much about secondhand or ebay, just take note the sizing on kids boots is best regarded as notes for guidance! Stamped on littlests first boots were mondo, EU and UK, none of which agreed with any conversion table I found or the length of the innersole when I took it out and measured it!
Middle daughter is getting a bit serious about her skiing so has some properly fitted and almost as expensive as mine Lange race boots and eldest who just likes pootling about on the slopes every now and then (the other two are at the Tamworth fridge whenever possible) found some her size she liked the look of in a charity shop and is suited with them (I know all about properly fitted boots but my charity shop finds were fine to learn in and way better than snowdome loan kit and thats the level eldest is at)
Have also sold on a couple of pairs of ebay kids skis at a profit after they didn't meet the kids performance requirements rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers all, if anyone knows any decent end of season kid stuff for sale please let me know Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiwear4less is worth a look.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
do kids skis come with adjustable bindings as default, seems like it would be a good idea if they did???
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Not in our experience (about 50/50 from what I've seen) - as you will imagine it is best if they do. We have been able to find ones that have it - for example the K2 Juvvy's bought this year had a fair amount of adjustment on them - some sort of rail system I think, and of course rental style bindings will do the job. If you buy 2nd hand certainly ask about it and if it was me I wouldn't buy them unless they do. N.B. I was looking at Ski {Billek} NOT Billek - Ski Bartlett earlier and they had some skis at around the 140cm mark (which I'm guessing will be about the right ball park) for good cash in their sale - might be worth a look see.

Hey, isn't this great, I know stuff that can help someone Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 23-04-10 20:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I did think youi'd be quick to respond on this one, cheers Smile but I thought ski bilek was no more???
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chloe's Pales (from Skiwear4less) have Rossignol Comp J bindings, some adjustment in them the toe part is fixed but the heel is on a mini rail. Emily's Jades have Salomon TZ5s which have a 2 part rail system, both the toe and heel can be moved.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Bartlett - YES, Ski Bartlett (not Billek - getting the B's muddles) I'm sure that's the company - someone posted about ski socks there earlier I think.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.skibartlett.com/atomic-lil-punx--binding---0809---130cm-140cm-was-190-2963-p.asp

Sorry for error, been and found the link for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, yes it is ridiculous.

Helmets- lidel- about £5-7 each- get there early- they get bought up and sold on ebay for £30 each

skis- ebay (but be careful people get carried away and spend a fortune) or in resort from a hire shop or in uk - ask.

boots- ditto.

the drawbacks are; cost up front. carrying it all- really 5 pairs of skis is awful at Geneva. Servicing- do it yourself- a basic edge tool a travel iron some wax and a couple of scrappers. Earlier this evening edged and waxed most of the family skis in the evening sun - a couple of cups of coffee (no beer as pick ups needed) very relaxing. Hand me downs for the younger ones- 'get over it- it's not as bad as all the third hand pants'.

Helmets- gets kids to carry their own on the back of their rucksack hand luggage - this really pisses off the 20-30 something blokes trying to look cool by having a helmet hanging off their hand luggage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I buy everything & then flog it on ebay. Often I get back almost as much as I paid originally.
ski holidays
Very helpful all this info. I have just hired for ten days for our grand-daughter and will think about trying to buy at least some kit for when she comes again in two years, also her younger brother who will be starting then. They will come over from the States so won't want to travel with more than they have to but we can store it all in the chalet. They did give the helmet an extra squirt of whatever they squirt, but I think if I can pick up helments so cheaply then I will at least do that. Thanks.
snow report
Costco were doing Bolle "carbon look" kids helmets for £18 last year (they do them every year). I picked one up for my 8 yr old son and it's been great, lots of adjustment for the money.

I'm quite a bit over 30 but I still put my helmet on my rucksack in hand luggage Smile
latest report
out of interest, those that fly with kids skis, do you still pay the full ski carriage surcharge?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
out of interest, those that fly with kids skis, do you still pay the full ski carriage surcharge?

No, we pay for 2 and put son's skis in the same huge bag. Never had a problem.
snow conditions
You won't go wrong with the Lidl B-Square helmets either - they have an adjuster on them. I've found that if I get a helmet with an adjuster I can actually get helmet to fit Minimum_2 who has an odd shaped head and is practically impossible to get a non-adjustable helmet to fit.
latest report
Quote:

kitenski wrote:

No, we pay for 2 and put son's skis in the same huge bag. Never had a problem

I pay for 1 and carry 5 sets - each ariline different but do that for ones who's max limit is 32kg per sports equipment carriage. Have never had an issue, even with easyJet

And definitely better buying. This is best time of year to buy. I have even made a profit with some of my kids ski equipment, having bought on ebay (may to sept), used a couple of years then sold just before half term. Bought a brand new pair of Head Mojos for daughter from Ski Battlett with bindings for £77. Think I will be able to get 2 years out of them and sell for similar price on ebay.
snow report
one more question, we rented 120cms for my oldest and 107cm for my youngest this year, if I am looking to buy, how much should I 'add' to that for a years growth in height......
snow report
I normally find that in Austria Helmets are free for Kids when they hire everything Else. If always found Austrian Hire equipment to be excellent (cetainnly better that the stuff i've been offered in Canada & france).
Unless your kids have specific anatomical foot problems it is likely that you'll end up buying 1 pair of boots a year, until their feed stop growing. Likewise ski length is likely to be something that you would wand to shange each year. Helmets are a good investment (and legal requirement), for peace of mind. with the adjustment range they can last several seasons. Thus it becomes quiet expensive, especially if you have to add ski carriage, and/or are flying RyanAir where they have 15kg hold baggage limit.
As An example;
My son, 11, Skiing for 6-7 seasons still hires boots & Ski's. Skis are always current season equipmenrt, longer this year than last, with free servicing in Austria. He has his own Helmet co's he's a bit of a 'Meakon head'. Worringly at this age he doesn't realise how really good he axctually is..
My Daughter, 14, skiing for 6-7 seasons, still hires Skis longer ones each year, again latest season gear. Has her own boots this year, due to slightly prognated feet (this has been a massive improvement), go a really good deal from slush & rubble on a pair of 2yr old stk Nordicas. Again has her own helmet, but she struggles now with the luggage weight limit, I think its a teenager thing (first attempt at packing this year was a massive 27kg).
Over the past couple of years I've found Alpina helmets and CP helmets to be the most versatile and comfortable, the ratchet wheel adjustment mechanisms work really well. As they use 'inmould' designs they are a little lighter than conventional 2 piece constructions, great for kids. And the ventilation systems seem pretty cool (no pun intended). THe trick with helmets is make sure they fit alround without pressure points.
snow report
kitenski, When my 2 were growing up, I bought them the end of season buy back boots from Snow & Rock, i think I only paid £20-£30 a pair. They'd only had 1 weeks use max.
ski holidays
Bob, not in Stuben, I paid 33 euro for a helmet for each kid, despite hiring everything from them...

Spyderman, yeh I am hoping to see what various places have in end of season sales, but am thinking how I allow for next years growth spurt in both boot and ski length!
snow report
kitenski, re. boots please be very careful buying kids boots in S&R, fit them yourself and be happy with them. I bought end of season sale boots for my son last summer, they might be just the right size for him next season or maybe next summer they had that much growing room in them! I ended up buying another pair this season.

My best tip re. kids boots is not to pay too much attention to the size as it varies a bit between brands. I would shell check in the normal way (S&R didn't and I didn't that's why I ended up with boots way too big for him) and to take out the insole and stand the child on the insole to see for yourself how much room around the toes there is. Head do a boot which has a window in the inner boot so you can check. Re. growing room, buying now for next season I would allow no more than 2cm length and probably more like 1-1.5cm and then I would hope for normal growing no crazy spurts Laughing

Helmets definitely worthwhile buying, son has had three seasons and would probably get longer but his helmet has pictures on it which may be too babyish for him by next year Embarassed It's an adjustable Giro Ricochet, their current model is a Slingshot, I will move him on to a G9 junior probably as we have been that pleased with it.

Ski length - how long is a piece of string? The hire shop will give you what they have in stock which is approximately right for the height of the child, this can be inconsistent e.g. this year hire shop gave 2 boys in our party who were identical heights different length skis by 10cm difference. It's hard to advise you on this, I normally check with an instructor if I think son is getting ready for the next length. As a ball park I would add 10cm to the previous years unless they were on the short side or child has a real spurt. I buy them in advance when I spot a good deal e.g. brand new Volkl Race Tigers inc bindings about £70 IIRC bought in CH last summer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy