Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two Skiers Spend Night on Arcs Chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
This has to be your worst nightmare come true. Two Parisians have spent the night on a Les Arcs chairlift. They were found this morning in a state of hypothermia by lifties and rushed to hospital in Bourg St Maurice. The men were aged 36 and 26 and were said to not be in danger... They took the chairlift at Arcs 1600 for one last run on Saturday evening but the lift was shut down and they were stuck hanging above the slopes at 1800 meters. Fortunately it was not too cold, temperatures were around -2 to -4C and they were well dressed.

Damien Comandon, director general of the Société des Montagnes de l'Arc (SMA) has blamed the lifties for lack of vigilance. The police have launched an inquiry.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 27-03-05 13:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beat me to it! Unbelievable, eh. What I can't understand is why they didn't manage to attract the attention of the pisteurs closing off the piste - the lift is above it all the way.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you seen Les Bronzés font du ski?

They were lucky it was not cold though... although it must have been pretty damn miserable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unusual these days not to have a phone between them - is there coverage at that spot?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OMG Shocked Now I know why I carry my mobile rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, did I really take that long to post snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, (ref Bronzés)... who was it, Jean-Claude? Laughing A classic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, Mobiles work there - no problem.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, If my distant memories are correct, then Les Arcs has achieved this once before over at Arc 2000.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG wrote:
What I can't understand is why they didn't manage to attract the attention of the pisteurs closing off the piste

Do I detect some suspicion on your part? (read: Free Holiday and interview with Paris Match). I must confess as they were supposed to be near the arrival station the thought had crossed my mind. Maybe you should hot tail it down to the hospital to find out more?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well they were "very warmly dressed" - despite the daytime temperatures! They were lucky though - it poured down last night, for some hours - I would have thought they would have been drenched.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Crikey - the extremes some will go, just to be on the morning's first chair!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assumed lift companies had a system which would prevent even deliberate "lift lingering". i.e. close gates, wait for n chairs/gondolas to go past, stop lift.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe they decided a night on the chair would be more comfortable than their accomodation? Laughing
latest report
pistemeister, presumably the other 12 people staying in their studio didn't notice they weren't there Very Happy
snow report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
I assumed lift companies had a system which would prevent even deliberate "lift lingering". i.e. close gates, wait for n chairs/gondolas to go past, stop lift.

Some updates:

Turns out it is the medieval French numbering system wots to blame. Bottom liftie radio'ed up to top liftie:

"les derniers sont sur la chaise quatre-vingt-dix" and top liftie only heard "quatre-vingt"

The two guys didn't have their mobiles because they have had enough of spending time on chairlifts with English people who have bought appartments in 1950 and spend all their time on chairlifts calling Charles in London to tell them about how much their appartment has appreciated since the last holiday. They wanted some peace and quiet.

The two guys are not going to sue les Arcs and consider the matter closed. They will continue their holiday.
snow report
Think of the advantages of a week of this though, no room bill to pay, first lift each morning and a wide choice of slopeside accommodation to boot. I'd upgrade from a chair to a bubble though, I think it might be worth the extra.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

Turns out it is the medieval French numbering system wots to blame. Bottom liftie radio'ed up to top liftie:

"les derniers sont sur la chaise quatre-vingt-dix" and top liftie only heard "quatre-vingt"
Poor radio technique is to blame - you should always echo numbers, alphabet characters and the like back to sender to prevent this sort of mix up. In any language.

Quote:
The two guys are not going to sue les Arcs and consider the matter closed. They will continue their holiday.
Remarkable. Laughing I think I'd have wanted some compensation for a wet night on the bare mountain. Maybe not suing but something - mind you an offer of a free lift pass might have gone down like a lead one. wink
Couple of very unlucky/lucky guys.
BTW this story is the top hit on Google if you search on 'skiers' - but there is far more information in this thread than currently on the international press. Well done davidof and snowHead snowHeads snowHead
snow report
The same thing happened years ago in Wengen on the Wixi chairlift, apparently. Last guy on the chairlift was wearing blue and liftie radioed this to the top. Unfortunately a guy 30 chairs in front was also wearing blue. The poor guy died of hypothermia. This happened about 15 years ago I believe.
ski holidays
beanie1, A good case for always carrying a length of rope in your rucksack I would have thought.
latest report
now forgive me if this sounds stupid, but surely all they need to do to prevent this EVER happening is to send up a Patroller or 2nd lifite on the last chair while that tow's liftie waits at the bottom and stops anyone else getting on - then the Patroller or 2nd lifite stops the tow when they get off at the top

very surprised they aint sueing - i sure as hell would!
snow report
beanie1, the only way I can see that happening on the Wixi chairlift was if it was heavy snow at the time as the Wixi is visable over the whole of its length
snow report
barry, in some modern lifts they tip the seats up, so know the lift is empty when they're all tipped up. Not sure, but don't think from memory that that's possible on the lift in question. Maybe they could just put something onto the last chair - a sort of token that indicates it's the last one?
snow report
D G Orf,

I have no idea if it's true - I was just repeating what I was told by friends who are locals. Don't see why they'd make something like that up though. Maybe it was snowing! Anyway, retelling that story always brings up the topic - how would you get off the lift if that happened to you? Personally I think I'd tie one ski pole to the foot rest, tie the other pole to the end of it and shimmy down them. Hopefully this would lead to a realistic drop!

skanky, I think in a lot of resorts they do tie a ribbon or similar to the last chair.
ski holidays
beanie1, I agree it's possible, but I could only see it happening in very poor visability, some lifts now have video cameras on them in spots where the lift cannot be seen from either end station to help prevent just this sort of thing
latest report
skanky wrote:
Maybe they could just put something onto the last chair - a sort of token that indicates it's the last one?

I've seen some lifties do this - for example they put a post or shovel on the last chair.
ski holidays
Beats radio.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky, well yes, you're right, they could put a radio on the last chair, but that might be a little small and harder to spot. wink
latest report
Ray Zorro, Very Happy
snow report
If the saftey bar had sensors on them this would never happen. When all bars are up they should touch some kind of magnetic sensor which will send a small current that lights a bulb in the controllers cabin if this light is not on then the lift should be left running until all the chairs are checked. If someone is on the lift with the bar up they deserve every thing they get.
snow report
AD wrote:
If someone is on the lift with the bar up they deserve every thing they get.

Blimey, I do that sometimes Shocked I suppose I deserve everything I get wink
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4387653.stm BBC article but doesn't add much to what we already know.
Quote:
French media reported that the ordeal left the men half-conscious and one was speechless.
Hypothermia well established. Lucky Guys.
snow conditions
Quote:
Lucky Guys.

Relatively speaking!
snow conditions
kuwait_ian wrote:
and one was speechless.

I'd be livid, never mind speechless!
latest report
This story kind of proves my fear of chairlifts.

It couldn't happen on a T Bar !

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 31-03-05 11:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Think of the advantages of a week of this though, no room bill to pay, first lift each morning and a wide choice of slopeside accommodation to boot. I'd upgrade from a chair to a bubble though, I think it might be worth the extra.

Yeah, and a truly ski-in/ski-out location.
latest report
Ah but no breakfast or dinner Shocked
snow report
Same thing happened in Verbier last week. British guy stayed for one beer too many at the Cabane Mont Fort and hopped on to the La Chaux 4 man after the liftie had gone up. Apparently he dangled there for 5 hours before calling the emergency services who came to get him. Goodness knows what he was thinking about in the meantime...
ski holidays
He waited for FIVE HOURS after the lift had closed before calling 999 on his mobile phone? He must be very patient or very stupid!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy