Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North Face Approach Series

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick one....

Is TNF's "Approach" series/range ski wear?

I dont think it is, i just got my boy a jacket of fleabay advertsied as TNF ski/board jacket and when its turned up its more like a autumn casual outdoor jacket, its wafer thin showerproof material.

He'll freeze to death on the snow in it!

I believe it is TNF as it has white size label and carewash details, zip on right hand side and is well made. It was desribed as used, not new, and it had been used for skiing at snozone MK as it still had the tie wrap for the pass on the upper pocket.

Googled the approach range and it keeps coming back with climbing shoes etc.

Just would like some input here before contacting seller.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
approach is normally what they call glorified holiday wear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ItsSnowJoke, TNF top ski line is called the Free thinker and it is all wafer thin with now insulation.

Is it large enough that you could get a thermal and fleece under it? Then it will be allright for skiing in, allot of outdoor wear shares technology with a few diffrinces in accesories - Google pockets, wipes lift pass holders snow skirts built in etc.

Its up to yourself to be honest if it is waterproof and breathable and you can layer it up it should be fine. If you wanted a snow specific Jacket and TNF says it is not well you should be able to get a refund via flea bay
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It does not say HyVent on it.

It just has TNF logos on the chest and shoulder blade area. No snow skirt, nothing to suggest it is designed for skiing at all Sad

Just has on the inside lower front a TNF tag with the logo and word "Approach" on it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ItsSnowJoke, lots of folks wear 'shell' jackets as a wind/water proof top layer which is then layer with other clothes underneath. Such 'shells' are technically ski wear. Not all ski wear if thick and fluffy and suitable for wearing by itself, maybe you have a 'shell' type jacket. See here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63904 for a short thread (current at the moment) that might help to explain what I mean.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ItsSnowJoke, HyVent just part of TNF material technologies.

It appears it is not snow specific but would probably be more than acceptable and very usable as a snow jacket. As above the Freethinker is purly a wafer thin shell and probably the same jackets as you have bought but with a few additions to make it more suited to skiers.

The jacket if it has good waterproofing 10,000 or greater and is breathable will be fine for snow just stick a fleece or a midlayer underneath,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ItsSnowJoke, Real (new) North Face gear has a tiny hologram label underneath all of the size and care labels in the neck. I was nearly tricked by an ebay purchase carrying US tags (including the right US price and everything). The thing that gave it away was the lack of hologram label and the fact that it was an entirely different size to the 'same' jacket that I tried on in the North Face shop. I know it isn't a difference between the US and UK S/M/L/XL sizings as my triclimate TNF jacket was bought in the US and also fits perfectly.

Rather than try and sell on a fake, I've returned it to the seller for a refund.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyway this is the jacket...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130381616876

Maybe for under £20 delivered i expected too much.

Still i bought some gloves off them too. North Face ski gloves the ad said, strangely when they turned up these particular TNF gloves have Trespass labels in them rolling eyes and are made from Tres-Tex, nice gloves and probably ok. But not TNF!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dunno whether it's real TNF but it looks fine for skiing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ItsSnowJoke, why stress about it? The kid will outgrow it in a season, and you can then get something else if he didn't like it/it wasn't adequate. Whether or not he's warm enough in it depends entirely on how much he wears underneath.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
ItsSnowJoke, why stress about it? The kid will outgrow it in a season, and you can then get something else if he didn't like it/it wasn't adequate. Whether or not he's warm enough in it depends entirely on how much he wears underneath.

Why stress it cost £13.51 that's why Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its not the money, i wont lose sleep if it isn't up to skiing in, he can wear it as a casual jacket, thats not the issue at all.

I bought what i thought was a ski jacket, if it isn't i'll have to get him another, if it is thats great. No need to flame me Sad

Also im fairly confident its legit, i know 99% of the NEW tnf stuff on ebay is fake, but this was used and seller says she got it in EB store MK. It also has the inner and outer zips and is well made, im sure its legit tnf.

I only asked the question as i thought one of you guys was going to say "yeah that is fine for skiing" or "no that is designed for rock climbing and is not good for skiing" or better still "that jacket has breathability rating of x and waterproof rating of y"

Im new to skiing, and adopted the when i doubt ask those in the know approach Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
dunno whether it's real TNF but it looks fine for skiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I bought what i thought was a ski jacket, if it isn't i'll have to get him another

If it's wind and waterproof, he can ski in it. I frequently ski in what is alleged to be a mountaineering jacket - makes no difference.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I frequently ski in just the shell of my TNF triclimate jacket as I often find the inner lining too warm in the later months of the European season. I usually layer up with one or two thin base layers and a thin fleece jumper underneath and find that plenty warm enough when skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy