Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

goretex layering advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just bought deb a goretex shell bottoms for next years trip. what would you reccomend for wearing underneath, looking for something very warm. are people wearing baselayer and fleece pants under these??????
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My salopettes aren't technically shells, although they have next to no insulation. I've only needed to wear thermals under them once, and that was in a really really bad early jan storm in St Anton last season (and my thin Helly Hanson ones were fine). My legs don't really get cold, but with a good windproof shell like goretex, I doubt you'll need more than say the Helly ones (I'm sure you know the ones I mean, jsut the standard Hellys).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
graeme, I wear "200" weight fleece under mine from Decathlon IIRC, unless it's particularly cold in which case I add (ordinary) base layer. Don't have to do that too often. This time of year I just usually use the base layer.

Mine are "proper" shells though, with no insulation at all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Same here. I usually wear either Skins or Nike compression bottoms under mine - easier to wash than the shell trousers themselves - and have never needed anything more substantial.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just Skins for me usually, unless it's getting on for -15 or less in which case I might add a pair of merino wool leggings or something similar.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd melt if I wore thermals under my strides, but that's just me. TNF Rockafella pants sorted me out this season in temps ranging from -20 to +10, blooming marvelous things, haven't a clue how they work but they do.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use 3/4 length snow and rock thermals and have been fine. I'm using a pair of Arcteryx shell trousers which are without lining or other insulation. It needs to be very cold i.e. below minus 20 before I start needing something else. In case of really cold temps I have a pair of Mountain Equipment belay trousers http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/cirrus_pants---281/ that come out. I rarely use them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme, Under armour leggings under mine. Oh I usually have my undercrackers on as well Laughing The only problem with the under armour is NO FLY. Which I guess won't be a problem for Deb Little Angel .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
commando

proper style Cool

I've got shells which i find can be coldish, but the warmer baselayer does the trick - I think mine are the warmest helly hanson leggins
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
graeme, Polartec PowerStretch
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never needed anything beyond 200 fleece jogging style bottoms under a shell.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never actually owned a pair of true shell pants but all of my pants have always been very thin and non-insulated. I've worn long johns maybe 5 days in the last 500 or so days of skiing.

Then again, I have pretty hairy legs.

You need a ladies input, they get way colder than us and if you like them the way I like them, they don't have hairy legs...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
icebreaker underwear (no cold cotton layer)

skins or base layer Icebreaker depending on season/warmth wanted/how I feel on the day

If needed Polartec Powerstretch as comprex says - nice and stretchy = comfy

When wind chill has been -25 in Canada(I think it was around -15C) I did have 2 layers of icebreaker and the polartec pants but I was the only person in our group not frozen on chair (wicking moisture well and windproof)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy