Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Astroturf?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
well who says the summer means no skiing Wink not for me it doesn't rolling eyes

so next week I'm starting on my mini summer jib setup Laughing which will hopefully have a rail and a kicker to do small tricks.. the advantage of it all is.. the location of the setup is higher up and in the winter gets really good snow retention, so all I need to do in the winter is build some fences (Scotland style Wink ) and pile up the snow and before I know it i've got a proper little setup.

I still want to use it in the summer though and hence asking about astro turf, I just rung up Briton engineering about their snowflex, turns out they only do big orders, real shame as their only a couple of minutes from me Sad
but I think i've decided to go with astro turf, you can pick it up for decent money off ebay second hand and it provides a safe base for use in winter.

Does anyone know how well astro slides and will it have to be lubed up Wink with water or some other slidey substance?

Heres to the Gee Milner terrain parks early beginnings Wink

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milnerhome, do you have a dry slope near you? Can you turn u at the Snowflex factory and ask for off cuts or stuff that didn't come out quite right?

Newschoolers has a load of info on making your own setup.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
arv,

I've got sheffield but thats all and its still the drive, the idea is to have a little setup you can mess around on every day if you feel like it.

I asked about off cuts and he said its expensive stuff so were pretty precise in manufacture.. although I doubt they never have defects Puzzled I'll have a look at newschoolers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
milnerhome, phone up the dry slope and ask to see if they have any spare matting (I mean, not go there to ski).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milnerhome, given th eburns you can get from astroturf, I'd be surprised if it was at all suitable. Go on. surprise me...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, thats an plan, will ring up tomorrow but I would've thought they wouldn't want to give away anything which promoted skiing off their site and meant they weren't getting any income from it.

under a new name, yeah but its all there is Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(this is years ago) but sheffield had some old matting stacked up, probably worn for skiing on but could make a good inrun track

also ring round sport centers with 5-a-side - you will need to be lucky to find one just replacing the turf though.

astro turf installer companies? offcuts
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't one of the important properties of astroturf that it has a reasonable maount of 'grip' for palying football/tennis/etc. Definitely it's not designed to be sliding anyway, so I wouldn't have thought it would be the best choice...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daehwons,

Thanks, I'll make a few calls tomorrow.

clarky999, Its the nearest thing to snowflex which I can think of unless anyone else can think of any alternatives?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
milnerhome, one of those cases where there is a quantum jump between "nearest thing" and "it".

Now, Astroturf with a deeper pile than used for running-type athletics, with some sort of slidey-cushiony-infill like coral sand might be able to do the job, but by that point your cost is in snowflex range.

<shrug> play around with different infills. You might come up with something.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the bargain end of the turf market (more plastic and not for sports) may do the job.

Infills probably not needed..... just a load of washing up liquid. Used to use it to slip feet into waterski binding. WD40 maybe?

your not going to "SKI" on it are you? just slide in and jib / land?

how long is inrun?

maybe carpet for landing, wet down could be slippy enough and would stop you
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll put up a little sketch later on but its not going to be used for "skiing" on and simply a base which you can just get enough speed up to jib on, likedaehwons, has said, the cheaper "tackier" astroturf is much more sutible for sliding and with a bit of soap or something it might just work ok.

not thought about carpet but I'd have thought it would be pretty grippy, even more so than astro?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
daehwons wrote:
I think the bargain end of the turf market (more plastic and not for sports) may do the job.

Infills probably not needed..... just a load of washing up liquid. Used to use it to slip feet into waterski binding. WD40 maybe?

your not going to "SKI" on it are you? just slide in and jib / land?

At that point, a teflon or polyethylene sheet might be just as good, if not better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy