Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How science can affect ski performance - on BBC Monday 19 April 7.30 pm

Poster: A snowHead
Snoworks newsletter wrote:
APRIL 19TH - BBC BANG GOES THE THEORY - BBC 1 AT 19.30HRS Our own Snoworks instructor Emma Carrick-Anderson joins the BBC 'Bang Goes The Theory' team to look at how science can effect ski performance.

I hope inner ski tip lead is covered wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy, Nice one, I have had the sky + set to record it for me Very Happy wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cathy wrote:
I hope inner ski tip lead is covered wink

The programme would need to be a serial to cover inner ski tip lead wink

I understand there is some good skiing coverage as well as technical chat
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy, thanks, that'll go on our list, together with those stupendous programmes coming up about maps. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, ooh thanks for that, I will definitely be watching Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, When are those on?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tiffin there seem to be two related series:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s5m7w/episodes/upcoming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2w83/episodes/upcoming

I love maps and am hoping to catch them all.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Thanks, bit of a cartophile myself.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just spotted on BBC site, its about 3 different things, synopsis on sky was rather brief made it look like it was just about steam power!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off-topic, but for anyone interested in Maps there's an exhibition opening in a few weeks' time at the British Library http://www.bl.uk/magnificentmaps
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Greetings all! Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snoworks newsletter wrote:
APRIL 19TH - BBC BANG GOES THE THEORY - BBC 1 AT 19.30HRS Our own Snoworks instructor Emma Carrick-Anderson joins the BBC 'Bang Goes The Theory' team

Why did I read that as SnowNorks?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But it's a fallacy!

The design of skis as we know it & by this i mean the way they're made. Hasn't changed in over 20 years. Racers & to bring it to it's ultimate conclusion speed skiers are skiing skis made the exact same way now as they were 20 years ago. Sure there have been evolutions in shape & small additions here & there but the vast majority of these are a result of pioneering ski builders experimenting not science. Sandwich construction with a ptex base & wood cores were exactly the same then as they are now. Just ski companies glue bits on & use things like carbon fibre & titanium & various other buzz expressions & materials to attract the general public that don't know any better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Were cap skis around 20 years ago?
snow conditions
bad_roo, Race skis are built in a standard sandwich fashion not cap style. I'm sure in certain instances manufacturers cap cover their sandwich racers skis just to make them look like the mass produced versions. Contrary to what any manufacturer claims cap skis are just a way of making skis faster & cheaper in a mass production environment any other benefit the cap construction offers is purely incidental.
snow conditions
i get it - there wasn't science 20 years ago
snow report
Arno, Laughing

Sure there have been evolutions in shape & small additions here & there but the vast majority of these are a result of pioneering ski builders experimenting not science.

frank4short, what you have described is science in the same way medicines are designed by pioneering chemists, biologists or medics experimenting is science.

Anyway I'm off to ski and thank Shane McConky for experimenting with rocker and Whitedot for the Redeemer. Cool
snow conditions
Cheers for the heads up, I'll be sure to watch.
ski holidays
bad_roo wrote:
Were cap skis around 20 years ago?
First Salomon ski was made around '90 so the answer is "yes".
ski holidays
Great programme for me! An article on phreatomagmatic eruptions (did my undergraduate thesis on that) and a decent piece on how skis work with Emma who has coached me when skiing gates. Sweet Smile
ski holidays
As usual in the evenings I couldn't get BBC1. Can't watch i-player from abroad either. Sad
ski holidays
So the answer is friction and repelling water!

Sticking the emery paper to the bases and spraying them with WD40 must be the budget answer for the EOSB Madeye-Smiley
latest report
just remember not to put liquid nitrogen (or whatever that was) on them...
snow report
Although when it get's ICY not much holds you back.........
ski holidays
Quote:

just remember not to put liquid nitrogen (or whatever that was) on them...

True! Was waiting for the ski to snap in half as he clicked into the bindings. Shocked

Made some sense to me - explained why you sometimes get 'stuck' to flat bits when you've stopped for a sun cream pfaff/hat pfaff/insert name of favourite pfaff here.... snowHead
snow report
easiski, there is a way, but it's a right pain, and helps to be a Linux techno-geek.

interesting segment, especially the liquid nitrogen bit.
snow conditions
interesting to watch for someone who doesnt really know much about all the fancy preparation for ski's. Understood how they work, but never realised that there was so many different ways to prepare the skis before waxing (for which I knew there was a white mans magic thing going on)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So the answer is base preparation and choice of wax. What a revelation. I think the presenter just wanted a spot of licence fee subsidised skiing.
snow conditions
easiski, Yep using linux helps (but you dont need to be a guru) A simple SSH or VPN tunnel to a fast UK proxy.

http://www.anonymous-proxies.org/2009/02/using-iplayer-abroad-viewing-bbc-via.html

Many of the free proxies are too slow for iplayer streaming but you can always download a programme via one of these and view offline later.

You can pay for high speed proxies like
http://www.identitycloaker.com/cms/home

A google search for "how to view bbc iplayer from abroad" will give you other options.

I simply VPN or ssh-NX-server to my home machine in Glasgow. Happy

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
easiski, glasgowcyclops, Tor + FoxyProxy. Surfing the iPlayer bit is slower than slow and may need numerous page refreshes, but the video itself is P2P so not proxied or anything, and works just like in UK. Faff to setup but it does work. No idea how to do that on anything other than Linux though.
snow report
Was interesting (ish) - I never realised that you could have different tread patterns on ski bases
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy