Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Poster: A snowHead
Just praying that husband can get on BA flight to Johannesburg tonight, dont know how criteria works for places.
At least looking as if end is in sight.
Dwarf Vader, enjoy the skiing, you really stressed hard for it!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dwarf Vader, magic!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dwarf Vader, well done! Enjoy your skiing snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well done Dwarf Vader. We all enjoy a story with a happy ending.

Apart from the delays getting all the planes and crew back in the right place and, I hope, extra engine checks there is still a little cloud on the horizon (haha).

The VAAC has started issuing two lots of maps now - the original ones plus these with a 10 x traditional threshold marked on them:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/volcano/ashconcentration/index.html

They're a bit more difficult to follow because of the extra information. There are three maps - one for each altitude band - for each of the four time predictions. The areas marked in black have the higher ash concentration and, I imagine, are the new no-fly zones.

Note how they can extend as far as the UK - well at least the Orkneys and Shetlands. Dependant on the wind, it is still possible for the ash to disrupt traffic from individual UK airports. Fortunately, the wind is predicted to be more westerly in the next few days so this may well not happen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dwarf Vader, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a great day, snow is usual for time of year, with a cool wind which is helping to keep conditions. totally bolloxed but well worth it. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, Very Happy Very Happy Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader, glad you've made it and have got some skiing in Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dwarf Vader, glad you got there in the end, nothing better than a happy ending, have a great time Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

See you soon!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Husband is on flight tonight, great news and smiles all around.
Hopefully we can keep all the volcanoes in Africa in check, if only we did not NEED to go skiing in Europe, future would be sure Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader, Yayyyyyyy - glad you made it at last!!! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader, yeeha!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lizski, Funnily enough on the same thread in the Apres Zone there's someone with their husband stuck in Johannesburg
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, Glad you got there, i enjoyed the skiing last week. Cool See you Saturday night. snowHead Everything crossed. Laughing
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, sorry for really stupid question - but what is this apres zone?
snow conditions
lizski, This bit of the forum is called "The Piste" and should really contain stuff relating to Snowsports - the "Apres Zone" section is where all of the other REALLY IMPORTANT stuff id discussed wink Find it in the Snowheads Forum Index.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, found it just after I posted- yes I am blond Blush
if this carried on any longer we could have considered a husband swop!
ski holidays
and lizski, woe betide anyoe who posts in the wrong part of the forum Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
barry, so there are wrong parts of the forum then? Twisted Evil
latest report
Dwarf Vader, nice one, see you on Sat, all being well...
snow report
Iceland has just closed it's airspace due to a volcanic eruption, Grimsvotn this time.
ski holidays
http://www.suite101.com/content/iceland-volcano-erupts-again-a372219
Quote:
Ash More Dense, Less Likely To Spread Far

The Icelandic Met Office website reported that ash is falling in the vicinity of the Vatnajokull glacier. This also includes towns of Hofn i Hornafirdi and Kirkjubaerklaustur as well as farmland nearby.

The plume is up to 12 miles (20km) high, but the basalt eruption is meant to give the ash a density that will prevent a Eyjafjallajokull-style spreading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13489944

Professional Pilot's Rumour forum here http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/452263-new-eruption-starting-iceland-merged.html
latest report
off on our hols on Thursday - might take a bottle of handwash stuff with me in case we stay longer than expected Laughing
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, Unless you're off to Keflavic you should be OK.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
off on our hols on Thursday - might take a bottle of handwash stuff with me in case we stay longer than expected Laughing

If you read that pprune thread it may be bad news by Thursday, on the other hand it may not Toofy Grin
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, hope you are OK getting away - they're saying it is due to reach the UK by Tuesday http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13498477

Quote:
A volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is expected to reach parts of the UK by the early hours of Tuesday morning, the Met Office has said.

It does not mean there will definitely be airspace closures but makes flight disruption more likely, it said.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, As long as she's not going with Ski Beat she should be OK Twisted Evil

edit: Latest update says disruption from Tuesday....maybe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13498477
snow report
f**k, I dont like flying as it is Crying or Very sad this has made me a bit nervous

Time for positive mental attitude!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, fear not. The airlines won't fly unless it's safe. Quite apart from the hassle of the paperwork if something happens to you, the airlines don't want to risk their awfully expensive aircraft. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Would it not be wise to overpack for all eventualities Very Happy given recent experiences, even your brief flit up to Cairngorm ended up being a week Toofy Grin

As long as you get out ok.
snow report
kevindonkleywood, Laughing forgot about that. When I was looking to book we could either go package or DIY and save our selves about £350. ph and I had a brief chat about the trade off and decided to take the risk and go DIY as we'd "never had any problems before" and "that ash cloud seem all over and done with" OOPS!
snow report
Hmm, flying to Helsinki/Tallinn in a couple of weeks...
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, my travel insurance now has a separate element of cover for disruption to things like volcanic ash clouds. Which of course cost more so I didn't bother with it. Is your policy similar and are you covered, just in case? Fingers crossed for you anyway. Although with the strength of the wind at present I'm sure it would all get blown away pretty quick Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy, we have travel insurance through Royalties Gold (free with our bank account) will need to check if they offer such protection.
snow report
Met office site if you want to see where its going, unlikely to be as bad as last time http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/vaacuk_vag.html
snow report
The new volcanic eruption is producing more lightning than ever seen before in an Icelandic volcanic eruption, according to this. 2198 lightning strikes in 1 hour! Shocked
latest report
I hope it doesnt happen, I'm off to Gran Canaria on 8 June.
snow report
I'm supposed to fly in from Keflavik on Thursday. Flights have been going all day today though. Also got a weird/nice light shower of ash falling on the way home from work today. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy