Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good riddance to a rubbish season!

Poster: A snowHead
davidof, Mmmh, where did those stats come from? I'm not paid by the Isola 2000 Prison Commercial Authority but they have had at least 2-3 metres this year ..... agreed not many large snow falls but in January they were reporting 1m+ at 2000m and it was real ....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lets hope it does not get as bad as This
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pistemeister, i cant see that messgae, its accusing me of not being registered!

maybe i dont want to see it! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I busted two vertebrae 29Jan just before my weeks holidays so beat that for a bad season rolling eyes . Oh well looking forward to next year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01, It is a link to a video on snowheads snowMedia zone. I can view it from 2 different pc's here. Are you registered on the snowMedia zone?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Newbie50 wrote:
davidof, Mmmh, where did those stats come from? I'm not paid by the Isola 2000 Prison Commercial Authority but they have had at least 2-3 metres this year ..... agreed not many large snow falls but in January they were reporting 1m+ at 2000m and it was real ....

From the French Weather service, no idea where the measurement is made but you can easily get more than 1m+ on the pistes as most resorts will make snow and will move snow from the sides of the pistes onto pistes. Resorts also tend to cheat just a little bit with their snow depth figures. My local resort was claiming 110cm last week at 2000 meters but parts of the piste where the measurement is made were bare of snow - they just happen to measure at a point where snow windblown snow tends to collect.

I'm not far from the Southern Alps and whenever I've been that way there seems to be virtually no snow except right on the border with the Savoie. Friends who live in Digne say it has been terrible. That said Isola has a micro-climate and catches snow from Italy when the rest of the area sees nothing. Recent TV pics suggest it has not been a bumper season.

This monitoring station is fairly nearby although situated at 2,500 meters :-

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/france/nivose/pics/RESTE.gif

I can well believe the 1m. total at 2000 meters based on these figures.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 31-03-05 22:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After seeing all the Scottish resorts proclaiming their seasons over do you guys reckon they may get a second wind next week?
The forecasts for Scotland next week are getting me all excited again snowHead
tomski01, <waves hello> You be up for another mad dash? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, I'd be reasonably optimistic for Thursday onwards. Hard to say how much there'll be, but the trend's there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, Thanks, will be eyeballing them snowcams next week in anticipation. snowHead
Looking at what other people are saying looks like the hoped for cold snap could last into the middle of April. Does this tie up with what your seeing?
Just trying to work myself up into a frenzy again Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rockyrobin, dunno about middle of April,...I rarely look that far ahead. It's also worth remembering that models can tend want to stick to certain patterns for a while. The new GFS will be available in a few weeks which apparently is a big improvement so could make things better for longer term next season.

[EDIT:] Just to make it clear, there may be snow before Thursday, but I'd guess that it'll be then at the earliest before you could ski on it.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 1-04-05 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Temperature is -2 in St Anton today and snow is forecast. I am off on Tuesday. Ho hum the "rubbish season" snows on and on ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An odd year for skiing in the Uk certainly, with a dissapointing end but at least there were some excellent conditions to be had during February and the beggining of March.

Had 5 good days at Raise in the Lake District (mostly bank holidays and weekends) around Christmas and early New Year followed by 2 fun days at Glenshee before the heavy falls arrived. I always enjoy my skiing at Glenshee, no nonesense and lots of laps.

The big snow arrived in the North Pennines during the last 2 weeks of February. Unfortunately I couldn't get time off work and then had to go out to the Alps for a week. Laughing Zermatt was good with everthing open but the surface conditions were better at Yad Moss on the Sunday we got back ! Shocked

The following weekend before the big thaw, was also very good.

So in total
5 days at Raise
only 2 days in Scotland before the really good conditions
3 days at Yad Moss
and 6 days in the Alps.

I'm still hopeful of at least another day this season !

Will keep an eye on events next weekend. Just possible we may get something at Raise.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Recently got back from Jackson where they were having a poor year, apparently, 270" by then compared to 400" in a normal season (I was told) and it was superb. Got very lucky as it snowed everyday/night apart from the last one.

Very slushy low down (did the Hobacks twice, once to learn our lesson and a second time to really learn our lesson) but great if you stayed up high.

Got a picture of Corbets that shows just how serious it is or at least was when I was there. They were doing an around the mtn race on one day and so had a ladder and rope in there as people had to climb up it and ski off down rendevous. I'll post it in the media zone soon. I like to think I'm quite ballsy but there was no way I was going to do it. I only saw one person try it in 11 days and they fell.

I don't know if it's snow quality or quantity but a bad season in the US seems to be so much better than a bad one in Europe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally, I've had an excellent season. No need to brag though.

What is interesting is that if you look at the PDS (French side anyway) there's heaps of snow between ~1300m and ~1900m but the tops are very bare due I understand to unusually high winds through out most of the snowstorms. So even though we've spend loads of time skiing thigh deep fluff, it''s been at quite low level.

For example, you can still ski back to Avoriaz from Linga which is normally impassable at this time of year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Yes. throughout the season there has been what I can only describe as a 20-30 km 'gap' in the snowline in the Southern Alps. I fly regularly from NCE-GVA and it has been a strange phenomenon to see this line - I guess that is what has taken out most of the Southern Alps stations.. There is NO arguing with facts BUT I 've been to Isola a couple of times this year and just after NEW Year I would swear there was naturally lying snow of about 5 feet ?? I accept it could all have blown off the peaks BUT it was very deep and compared well with many of the 'old-time' pictures knocking around. Of course I have no pictures to prove it !! They say memory-cells disintegrate with age and maybe my recollections are wrong!
ski holidays
Newbie50 wrote:
davidofBUT I 've been to Isola a couple of times this year and just after NEW Year I would swear there was naturally lying snow of about 5 feet ??

Well you have actually been there this year, I have not so that is good enough for me.
snow report
skanky, Thanks for the info. Fingers, arms and legs crossed Laughing
ski holidays
Things are maybe not as bad as they seem. My local resort is extending its opening another week until the 10th (they've already extended 5 days) and there is talk of them staying open until the 24th. The main problem they have is resort staff heading off to the south coast to prepare for the summer season. The resort is the 7 Laux near Grenoble, situated at 1350 - 2400 meters on east/west slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy