Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I complain about my new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Head Edge+ LTD boots recently from Ellis Brigham for £240 and christened them in Grimentz last week. The snow was plentiful (no rocks, etc), the slopes were easy and I look after my kit anyway, so they shouldn't be showing any real signs of wear and tear yet. But after only 4 days on the slopes they are, with the paintwork coming off the clips and the some of the graphics transfers peeling off the shell without any evidence of associated knocks or scratches. Perhaps I am fussing too much about the look rather than the performance, but I am rather disappointed. So should I a) forget it or b) complain to Ellis Brigham?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snobat, were they comfortable and did they enable you to be in control of your skis? If so, I'd not bother.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its always disappointing to get the first scratch on a new toy but the damage sounds cosmetic rather than a manufacturing or design flaw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snobat, I'd be tempted, if they're badly made on the outside they may be equally badly made where you can't see and may not give you long service. Depends how far you have to travel to get EB to check them out for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Option a) looks good to me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snobat, please please kick off big style and become the customer from hell - the winter is nearly over and things will quieten down here otherwise. Post up your complaint letter here (must be at least 2,000 words of maniacal ranting to qualify and contain the words "and I'm talking to BBC Watchdog") and all subsequent follow-ups. Clearly, they have already significantly upset you - you'll probably have trouble concentrating at work, get yourself fired and lose your house, car, friends etc. See, it's not just a bit of chipped paint is it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OMG - I'd given up with stressing about my complaint with Jet2. Now I can see that to be a real Snowhead I have to keep fighting until I die skint in a gutter clutching a bottle of meths Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So far it's three to option a) and two to b), but Bode's argument is so compelling that it must apply a weighting factor of at least 10 to option b). And being in the hotel business I know all about customers from hell. So I have a framework for my case almost formed; I just need to work on the bit where cigarette smokers (and greedy MPs for good measure) get the blame for the whole sorry, shocking, miserable, distressing disaster.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did the letters from the HEAD logo fall off? my g/fs are now made by E D.. the letters are now spread round a few ski resorts...so if anyone finds a wee golden H lying around on the sloes, please send it to me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
should i add i have a scratch on the headsheet of my head supermagnums and its clearly a fundamental design fault across the range. personally i try to avoild looking at my feet when Im skiing wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I just need to work on the bit where cigarette smokers (and greedy MPs for good measure) get the blame for the whole sorry, shocking, miserable, distressing disaster.

Snobat, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snobat, complain, and not just to keep us amused, that will just be a bonus factor, but because you've just bought aq brand new pair of boots, at significant cost and the materials are clearly not up to being thrown around the slopes, also you might want to sell them on when you buy your next pair, but if they look like you've been kicking rocks in them then their second hand value will plummet. Seriously, there is no reason to expect the boots ot to continue looking good for a few seasons so go back and ask them what they are going to do about it, at least get a partial refund that you can put towards your next pair.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
they are tools not jewels
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On one side I agree with everyone telling they are tools, and it shouldn't matter as long as you ski good with them. But on the other side, would anyone say same if paint on car would wash out after first rain? Afterall car is also just a tool to get you from A to B, and you can drive as good with color or without color on it. Wink
I agree graphics will sooner or later get off, but paint on clips should stay. It's not so hard to paint them good enough, that they won't lose color after day or two. My clips on all boots still look as new after quite some (ab)use.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I work for Ellis Brigham and would be happy to take a look at the boots - no need to become a 'customer from hell' unless you want to! Just let us take a look at the boots and we will advise on what can be done - pop them into your nearest store.
ski holidays
Kudos to EB for wading in - let's not let it spoil the chance of a good rant thread though wink
snow conditions
ELBRI, many thanks, you have decided me (if that makes sense). The Tamworth Snowdome is my nearest EB branch. And your positivity means that I'll ease off on the moaning for now.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 13-04-10 22:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Snobat, bear in mind also that if the conditions were anything like CHamonix, you'll have been skiing in quite a lot of slushy or "sandy" snow which is remarkably abrasive.
latest report
UANN, point taken but the conditions were very nice indeed with mainly new snow, and I didn't press very hard anyway. The boot shells are not marked or scraped at all - just the clips and the detaching transfers. But no more moaning - I did promise.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-04-10 22:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snobat, I took my boots back to the shop (in resort) when one of the clips got mangled on the 3rd day. They fixed it no questions asked*

*I didn't tell them I'd mangled the clip falling over pi$$ed while wobbling back from apres, but then that would have been silly.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Smile Glad someone else thinks like me!
snow report
Head have come up trumps! I followed ELLBRI's suggestion and took the boots back to Ellis Brigham at Tamworth. Dan was extremely helpful, photographing the damage and showing it to the Head rep a couple of days later. Head took the boots back and replaced the damaged clips with nice new ones. But they did say that I must have done something to get them like that; I did - I went skiing in very good snow conditions! Never mind, I am very happy with Head's action and am especially grateful to Dan for taking my complaint seriously. This restores my faith in....etc, etc. The new clips, by the way, have the same paint job as the old ones but you'll be pleased to hear that I won't complain if the same thing happens next January, even though Dan said I should. And many thanks to you lot for the various interesting suggestions on this thread. Very Happy
latest report
I am not the customer from hell at all, but I have taken some gear back to Ellis Brigham. In successive years I had two sets of K2 cinch snowboard bindings which didn't wear very well. The first set were completely replaced free of charge, as were the damaged components on the second pair. I also had a pair of Vans Cirro snowboard boots on which the linings started to fray after about three weeks of riding. It wasn't a big deal and I only took them in to see whether I could buy new inners (because the boots are awesome) but Vans replaced them free of charge as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

So I am very impressed with K2 and Vans - not to mention Ellis Brigham whose staff were extremely helpful and who have ensured that I will go back. So if you do have concerns about gear that you have bought then I wouldn't hesitate to show it to them, because you will get a very fair assessment and a likely replacement if the item is faulty, or even superficially just a bit dodgy.
ski holidays
I took my Head boots - with nice new clips - to Sauze d'Oulx in the spring and the only damage to them came from trying to squeeze my 6' 2" frame onto the minuscule chair lifts and clattering them against the metalwork. But I shan't be blaming Head for that!
ski holidays
Just case you are interested (and you wouldn't be reading this if you weren't) I made another trip to Sauze d'Oulx with my re-clipped Head boots and the only damage was as last year, when the miniscule chair lifts again gave them a bit of a bashing. The snow was not nearly as brill as last year, with the hot sun beating down all day long reducing it to a mush low-down, but the pistes were all covered and well-maintained. But if I go there again I shall make sure that it is just before half-term rather than any time after.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy