Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pow ski for next year

Poster: A snowHead
barry, you've lost me a bit. What do you think a soft rockered ski is going to do when it hits 3d snow? You make it sound like the rockered parts have no bearing on how the ski performs...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC wrote:
barry, you've lost me a bit.

dude, how do you think i feel Laughing

so course correction from you good folks - Stiff auld school should translate to stiff new school, and if i'm gonna rock I rock it stiff??

I gotta try me a pair (tele an' all, proper job) Cool

so, stiff-ish rockered (proper big rocker) - Faction, ON3P, some BD's? others?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
horizon, get both eh? I like your style. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, Dynastar Big Dumps?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry, do you find on I-beam type stiff skis that the tips don't naturally seek the surface when you ski at moderate/medium or high speeds? If you do to any extent, then imagine taking the tip and starting it in a decambered position. You can keep all the stiffness, but suddenly it's shape allows it to rise up from the snow and float rather than submarine. There's your basic rocker concept, the less stiff it is the more you can influence the amount of total decamber you can create (including at the tip, which may or may not be slightly softer than the body of the ski). This reduces the running length on 2d, hard snow but usually not to much of an extent, and that's another reason why going longer with rocker isn't the same as a longer standard ski. The full running length does engage usually as you tip the ski (some exceptions), and as soon as it's in 3d snow you get the full length of the ski.

Rockered skis that aren't quite so stiff, and often tail rockered or hybridised type shapes (see the S7, Armarda JJ for examples - the 5 point side cut model), have other benefits, mainly how easily they release and pivot, and how they deal with conditions that aren't ideal for regular style skis (mank, wet, crust).

Other big development to be aware of lately is that stiff no longer has any relation to heavy, damp planks. You can have stiff and responsive with the generation of carbon fibre based skis (mainly from DPS and PM Gear, that I can think of.), or stiff damp and light with the newer constructions from most mainstreams.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, good effort mate, the clouds are parting somewhat Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian wrote:
BobinCH, no I haven't tried them, nor am I likely to get the chance too, unfortunately. The 2010 Katana was a redesign with Voelkl's ELP rocker (as for the new Gotama and the Kuro) though obviously not as pronounced as the Kuro. XXL has no rocker and in fact a considerable normal camber, Katana is basically flat underfoot with a gradual rocker starting a long way back. Whatever I buy I will still be doing a reasonable amount of family piste skiing as well as heading off so this seems like a good compromise.

Sounds good! The family will need to ski fast to keep up with you!!!

Arno, Horizon, while admittedly conditions were good this season, it wasn't a case of different ski for different day. As I suspect you do we always head off piste and I skied almost exclusively on the Kuros whatever the conditions. A mate bought 2010 Gotamas on the basis of it being a better "1 ski quiver" and I'm pretty sure he regrets not going bigger. Everyone is cynical until they try them...

I haven't skied Lhasa's or similar but DaveC has and he also suggests going full rocker for the off piste ski. While I definitely want to try your DPS 112's I reckon you boys will be impressed with some proper fatties!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH, I suggest buying a ski suitable to what you want to do with it Wink I prefer a ski I can get high edge angles with, and I like the sharknose/pintail shape best, so the Kuro isn't really for me - but I think it's a bit naive to say one's better than the other. Can't imagine anyone who went for the Katana or Gotama looking for a versatile ski wishing they were on something like a Kuro, personally... but anyway, I'd actually say these days I'd rather a carbon construction based ski as a top priority, since the swingweight to stiffness is just so much more pleasant.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH, well I wanted to try the Kuros (and the Redeemers, and the Lhasas) while I was over there...but did anyone want to prove their steeze on my Tankers?

I don't know what the answer is without demoing. Most guides ski on a midfat everywhere, but then again their technical level and stamina are way above ours. The RP has a huge rocker...

We need to do a Chinese downhill from the top on Mont Fort next year wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
barry wrote:
OK, here's one for ya (the collective ya). I like a stiff ski, i need a stiff ski (mass rather than skill rolling eyes ). Do stiffness become less of a factor on proper rockers, ie i no longer need it proper stiff cos there's feck-all touching the snow to actually be stiff (if ya get my meaning)??? therefore anyold cheap rocker shite is the way ahead?? Q.E.D.

Powder skis don't actually need to be stiff to perform well in deep snow.
Basically a powder ski is designed for to float in a 3d space.
Unlike a piste ski - which you ski on its rails on a hard piste.

What makes a really big difference to floatation is the tip stiffness, width and shape.
A softer / wide tip will tend to stay above the surface (i.e K2 Coomba).
But the ski can still be stiffer under foot (i.e Gotama).
A stiffer ski tip can submarine when snow builds up on top (i.e Dynastar XXL / Mvmt Goliath) requiring more effort to be driven through the snow.
So stiff isnt always good for a pow ski - Though some peeps do prefer this type of ski! Especially in more variable snow.

Clearly a rockered tip shape helps the tips stay above the surface.
However it has to be very subtle and not too stiff - otherwise you will loose edge length and hardpack performance.
Despite all the marketting hype!

Quote:
Most guides ski on a midfat everywhere, but then again their technical level and stamina are way above ours.

Personally I reckon about 100->105mm (ish) is the optimal width under foot for Europe all mountain ski.
Even in the mankiest euro crud or deepest powder day.
You just need to buy skis long enough (190cm and above!) and carry a little speed if it gets a little manky.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 9-06-10 10:29; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, chinese downhill is indeed the only way to resolve this, possibly in appropriate fancy dress:

BobinCH, i do have some old Lotus 120s which are gathering dust a bit TBH, although they are pretty skinny compared to the Kuros. i should resurrect them
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, you do realise that if I outrun you while you're on the RP Pures and I'm on the Hybrids you'll have spent all that extra money for nothing? wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
horizon, i will console myself that you would have outrun me by more if i was on hybrids
snow report
 brian
brian
Arno, reckon you should hold out for Chinese Uphill. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
BobinCH, i do have some old Lotus 120s which are gathering dust a bit TBH, although they are pretty skinny compared to the Kuros. i should resurrect them

Arno FTW. Most skiers attics consist of old, long straight skis. (Apart from Clarky & Dave C who were too young to have started skiing then). Arno has a pair of DPS Lotus 120s 'gathering dust'.

I've skied skis similar to the Kuro, or maybe not, perhaps they are unique? I'm not a fan of such large tips because of the amount of deflection you get when you are skiing mach II - in ANY condition. Yes, give me rocker, yes give me stiff. I like the surf feeling of the tips, my knees don't like them.

This year will be the first year that I might have to buy some skis Shocked for around 3 years. Looking for something with a Spatula shape so I can avoid the large tip but still have the fatness & rocker. Dunno whether to go for traditional sidecut, in which case I can get the Faction Royales or something like the Moment Donner Party, Armarda ARG, or if I could find them for cheap Lotus 138...
latest report
horizon, but guides have to worry about weight for the ups. So a light 100mm ski makes sense for touring/steeps but it isn't half as much fun in the lift served off piste around Verbier/Cham. It isn't about technique or stamina. It's about the feeling!

The problem in April was that you arrived during the best week of the season, not the ideal moment for us to hand over our powder tools!

However, in the interests of providing a definitive Snowheads powder plank review I propose an early season weekend at the scene of April's powderfest. Snow permitting end Nov/start Dec should be feasible. Invitation extended to the other thread contributors offerring something of interest to the test...
snow report
If the test is in Austria then I'm sure I can bring some toys to play on wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm pretty tempted to move to Chamonix in April as the Fernie season winds down this year....
ski holidays
Nice choice Dave!
latest report
Quote:
but guides have to worry about weight for the ups. So a light 100mm ski makes sense for touring/steeps but it isn't half as much fun in the lift served off piste around Verbier/Cham.

Know at least one guide who ski on S7s... And plenty of them love stiff Dynastars / Movements for lift skiing.
And of course the Coomba (which is a classic guide ski).

It a myth that guides always ski on mid fats.

Quote:
...100mm isn't half as much fun in the lift served off piste around Verbier/Cham.

Sadly every day is not a powder day - and typical dump in Europe is about 20cm - 40cm.
Especially around Verbier (Rhone valley is a wine growing region and pretty dry!)
Plus your skiing large vertical descents with variable snow due to the large change in altitude.
Spent a season in Verbier - and only once did I (personally) think that 102mm wasn't wide enough. (2008 was a very good winter)

There is no debate that skis like Pontoon / Megawatt (& probably Kuro ?) are the tools for the job in deep pow or crud.
But they also aren't so easy on moguls, harder snow, or steep slopes - which can be really fun to ski too! Smile

People get obsessed with width under foot.
But anything above 100mm is going to float.
What they should actually be discussing is ski length (i.e total surface area), tip stiffness and shape ?
snow report
Nendaz is the place where I can offer accommodation. Chassoure needs to be open so usuallly 1st weekend in Dec
latest report
Haggis_Trap, It is about width - "smile width". I saw the difference in people going from Scott Mission/LP etc to Kuro last season and the difference in their "smile width" was dramatic. You are right that it is also shape. I'm talking about going from conventional to full rocker. You are right that they suck in moguls and on ice - if you like skiing that avoid them. However they are still quite manageable in those conditions. They are fine on steeps unless it is icy. I haven't skied Coombas but I know for sure I had way more fun last season on Kuro's than in 2008/9 on LP's. Except when touring I always took the Kuros and always found snow to enjoy them on, albeit having to navigate moguls/pistes at the bottom. All I say is people who love skiing off piste should try something like the Kuro before writing them off as "skis for Alaska" which almost always cones from people who haven't tried them.

My "quiver" is now Crusair with Dynafit for touring, some rock skis for November or until there is a decent base and Kuros for everything else.

I'd like to try something in the 115mm range with rocker tip/tail but doubt I'd be willing to give up soft snow perf for crud busting ability.
ski holidays
BobinCH - Would love to try some Kuros, Have no doubts they are alot of fun and very refined.
But I am still to be (personally) convinced I need a ski that size as a daily driver for Europe.

(Total tangent - but the worst ski I ever tried out is the Line Prophet 130. Unskiable flappy cr@p. Proof that 'Phatter' is not always better).
ski holidays
Movement Super Turbo for next year anyone? the 202 length obviously Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Haggis_Trap,I'd like to try something in the 115mm range with rocker tip/tail but doubt I'd be willing to give up soft snow perf for crud busting ability.

I toured a 186 Rossi S3 last Winter which is kind of soft, and found the tip/tail rocker compensated pretty well for the lack of full-on-pow-ski width for pretty much everything but the biggest dumps and biggest lines.

I also demo-ed Dyna Big Dumps and BD Megawatts with slight tip rocker and thought they were both great point and shoot boards (Big Dumps especially made dropping cliffs soooo easy), but ended up going for slightly narrower Dyna Huge Troubles in the end - 115mm waisted and zero camber, but no rocker, as I found them stiff enough to charge and huck with confidence, plenty of float for anyone but most novice powder skier I reckon, but also that bit more manouverable than both the BDs and Megawatts (I like trees, a lot).

Shame about the slightly gay graphics, but hey ho.
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
(Total tangent - but the worst ski I ever tried out is the Line Prophet 130. Unskiable flappy cr@p. Proof that 'Phatter' is not always better).

I spent two seasons skiing on Prophet 130s. The first season it was my daily driver, it went out nearly everyday - even leaving my beloved Explosives at home. That ski was SO much fun I still smile about it. I was worried it was too floppy but not even straight lining the M25 was I worried, it's torsional stiffness (relative to being such a wide ski) was perfect. Eventually my skiing improvement led to me not skiing on it - it is a little hooky in soft snow and at warp speed the tips could get deflected. So I mounted them with telemark and they had a few outings the second season, eventually I sold them off. I'm gonna through a flag on this play - brilliant, fun ski - that rocked in the moguls!

BobinCh, demo some Faction 3.Zeros with rocker next year, then you will understand versatility and laugh at the idea of compromise.
ski holidays
what year did you guys ride the 130s, didn't they only add the titanal sheet fairly recently to stiffen them up a bit like the 90s and 100s. I quite fancy some francis bacons if only they did them up to the mid 190ish mark or even the EP pros
snow conditions
horizon, cancel that order! you need the JERANTULA!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
papasmurf, I skied the first years - green ones. I figure Haggis_Trap skied on the second year, same ski different graphics (Bamboo ones) - if they were Ben's? I haven't followed the progress but I guess that they couldn't really stiffen them until they put the tip rocker in - which I think they did too huh?

Arno, only if they make it with a swallow tip...
snow conditions
Quote:
I figure Haggis_Trap skied on the second year, same ski different graphics (Bamboo ones) - if they were Ben's?

Good detective work - that was the ones... (Charlie sold them to Ben if I remember correct).

Have seen videos of Eric Pollard do some mind blowing stuff on the Prophet 130.
And Parlor obviously loved them.
They just didn't do it for me...

I'll sell you these 'uber-phattys' for £50.
180mm under foot NehNeh

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy