Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks (probably a stupid question)

Poster: A snowHead
A question about ski socks - is it necessary to wear them? (aside from the whole smelly boots side effect). The reason I ask is that I'd never dream of wearing socks with my ice hockey skates, as if your skates fit well, then socks just seem to reduce the control you have and i've found they compromise control quite alot. Was just wondering whether this transferred to skiing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question that's been answered previously...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowgirl123, good question. I suppose socks add warmth, comfort and help with hygiene.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PJSki, exactly my point as regards the comparison with hockey skates - yeah its warmer and more comfortable, but with hockey, i need the additional control to get the best performance. But I suppose I play hockey for 2 hours max, not all day.

Do racers wear socks?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on your boot fit really - I don't think you really gain *that* much by not wearing a thin sock, and it's pretty unpleasant. Heard stories of racers having to cooking oil their feet to get them into plug boots.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose its a difficult parallel to draw given I'm a much better skater than skiier, and buy skates at least 1.5 sizes smaller than my shoesize exactly for reasons of control (no matter about the pain it may cause), yet am and will always be a recreational skiier. Was just wondering about whether there are similarities or not to draw.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I play hockey quite a bit and I never thought I would go into skates without socks, even though I can imagine you get extra percent of feeling in skates when you don't wear socks. But I'm not NHL player, so I rather stay kinda warm (even though under all that equipment, it might not be bad to cool down a bit Smile) But ski boots are different. It's useless to talk about "normal" recreational boots and extra feel when you get rid of socks, but even with racing boots, things are different then with skates. Even though race boots have very thin liner, it's still much thicker and softer, then inside of skate is. So you wouldn't gain much when you wouldn't wear socks. But I do suggest to get thin socks, not those extra thick thermal ones. There is big different between those two... unfortunately also in price. And yes, racers wear socks. And no, you don't need to oil your feet to get into race boots Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's tons of similarity in the sports, teaching hockey players to ski is so easy it's ace. I've done approx 20mins on ice and figured out quickly how to skate a bit, though snowplow stopping almost killed me so I just stuck to crashing into walls Smile primoz nails it pretty well though on the differences.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

teaching hockey players to ski is so easy it's ace

Could you give me a few hints on stance?

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, canadian hockey players Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everyone living in place where snow is normal thing, understand's ice hockey, not some weird game like the one on your photo, when talking about hockey Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowgirl123, I can see where you are coming from, and I guess for fit maybe some top class racers don't use socks. I have also heard of one of two folks on here swearing by thin silk socks which I guess are some sort of compromise, but for everyday folks, I would have thought comfort is the main reason for wearing socks. I would imagine ski boots or even ice hockey boots/ice skates are horridly uncomfortable sticky and sweaty/slimey objects without socks after a small amount of hard work and wouldn't want to be without socks in them myself.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowgirl123, Definately no socks. As far as I know, there are absolutely no other reasons than that it's one less thing for you to worry about packing or remembering to finish the day still wearing... Toofy Grin Laughing

Megamum, I don't think you should judge a sock by it's thickness wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schuss in Boots, Laughing I ditched the ski tubes within weeks of finding SH's. I have proper ski socks these days, but I still think that ski boots would be a horrid sweaty environment without some form of socks!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Of course it would, but this is Batman we're talking about here. wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowgirl123, ok. A guess. Ambient temp in ice ring -4 ?? Skiing can be down to -25 or lower. Plus if you are skiing powder the cold snow is in direct contact with the toe areas. So I think the main reason may be cold and that using decent socks (I use thin smartwool socks) you generate a temperature gradient and maybe also hygiene and comfort considerations.
snow report
I once spent a warm spring day in Val Thorens without socks - simply because I forgot them. My boots were fairly close fitting, and my socks were thin, so it didn't make a huge difference. I wouldn't have wanted to be without them any longer, or on a colder day.
snow conditions
I skied in compression socks this season rather than ski socks. They are very thin tight fitting socks with no thermal qualities. My feet were absolutely freezing but they did stop my legs from swelling. I think I am going to have to invest in some compression ski socks in future, I just couldn't afford to this season, although I would normally expect warmer temperatures in March that I experienced.

So to answer your question, I would not be without socks at all. Ski boots aren't exactly comfortable footwear, give yourself a little extra padding and warmth! Smile
latest report
queen bodecia, have you tried full leg compression things?
snow conditions
pam w, I've got those but I hate them! Very Happy

I normally just wear the knee highs. It's only my lower legs that suffer anyway. I really thought they would be OK for skiing as my feet are always hot when I wear them but the ridiculous minus double figure temperatures in La Thuile had other ideas.
snow conditions
I used to do a lot of speedskating, and didn't use socks for that. But I won't ski without socks, I don't think it would provide a benefit.

The speedskate you gain 'contact' with the shoe, it has no contact above the ancle so it all depends on the foot not moving around in the shoe.
Skiboot seems a whole different thing, the lower leg is well supported and used to transfer movement to the boot and ski.

And then the hygiene issue... My skiboot gets a lot more .... "humid" then my speedskate...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy