Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report, Canazei Val di Fassa

Poster: A snowHead
Mollerski,

http://www.homesinitaly.co.uk/smx/home/buying/

Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read Mollerski as saying it was unlikely that Italian owners would want to "swap" (not rent) their places. He's probably right - he does know the area. I'd be delighted to swap with an Italian family. though that leaves the problem of the lift pass - I have a season pass for here, and a week's pass for other areas is a big cost.

When I went to Italy a few years ago (and did a few hours skiing in Cortina during what wasn't really a ski holiday) I spent some time beforehand learning some basic Italian. I was bowled over with how successful it was - I talked to people, they talked back, and I understood them! When we ended up flying to Milan instead of Venice, then found there was a national train strike (long story) my Italian, which I'd just done for a bit of fun, actually became quite necessary, as it did when we turned out to be the first Brits to stay in one of our hotels. When a woman in Milan station gave me a whole spiel in response to my innocent request for a group ticket to Venice, I only understood one word in the middle, but it was "sciopero"!

I love France, but rarely encounter much enthusiasm for my French (which is much better than my Italian). I really enjoyed the few days we spent there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mollerski wrote:
I like the central position of Selva, when based in Canazei, we were always conscious of having to get back before lifts closed.

I don't understand why you feel that either is more central" than the other.

The Sella Ronda is a circuit, and doesn't have "central" villages. And if you are heading for places off the circuit, such as the Hidden Valley, or the Marmolada, some are closer to Selva, some are closer to Canazai for returning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski wrote:
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:
Hmm. My main (indeed only) regret about having bought an apartment is not being likely to afford to explore the skiing in the Dolomites.

I wonder if it might be possible to do a "swap" with someone having an apartment at the Dolomites?

The Italians have a very strict 'locals only' policy re. property ownership. Non-local Italians can't buy in the area.

Hence, no Brits with Appts. Madeye-Smiley

Well I know a couple of Brits who have bought properties in Northern Italy. But admittedly not in the Dolomites.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
I like the central position of Selva, when based in Canazei, we were always conscious of having to get back before lifts closed.

The Sella Ronda is a circuit, and doesn't have "central" villages. And if you are heading for places off the circuit, such as the Hidden Valley, or the Marmolada, some are closer to Selva, some are closer to Canazai for returning.

There's a hell-of-alot more to Selva than the SR, but carry on, please go to Canazei. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:
Hmm. My main (indeed only) regret about having bought an apartment is not being likely to afford to explore the skiing in the Dolomites.

I wonder if it might be possible to do a "swap" with someone having an apartment at the Dolomites?

The Italians have a very strict 'locals only' policy re. property ownership. Non-local Italians can't buy in the area.

Well I know a couple of Brits who have bought properties in Northern Italy. But admittedly not in the Dolomites.

I know a couple of people who live in Bristol. It's the South West, but it's not quite Cornwall. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There's a hell-of-alot more to Selva than the SR, but carry on, please go to Canazei

Places like Cortina, Civetta and Kronplatz...will be a lot quieter if visitors to Dolomites stick to the Sella Ronda circuit. It is a good job that the Italians still have some senses not encouraging vast developmens in the Dolomites. Each large skiing area is isolated by at least a mountain pass with seriously steep and twisty hairpin bends For example Sella Ronda has 4 linked areas but each is linked by a mountain pass. The area will retain its natural charm for a very long time to come. With the exception of the section between Alta Badia and Arabba it may be possible for a good skier can travel faster in the Sella Ronda circuit than the motorists on the roads.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

There's a hell-of-alot more to Selva than the SR, but carry on, please go to Canazei. Madeye-Smiley

Of course there is. What is your point?

There is also a hell of a lot more to Val Di Fassa than just Canazei or the SR.

And I am just as likely to go to one of the other Dolomite resorts as either of them, but that is completely and utterly beside the point. (But if I do go back to Val Di Fassa, I would be more likely to stay in the Moena area, because it gives easier access to the Tre Valli and Cavalese sectors)

I was questioning why you find Selva more "central", not whether it is "better" or not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:

I know a couple of people who live in Bristol. It's the South West, but it's not quite Cornwall. Madeye-Smiley

Did you think you had a point?

You didn't say it was a strict "locals only" policy in the Dolomites specifically, you said the "Italians" have that policy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, You clearly have little knowledge of the area. I can't be bothered to argue with you. rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MollerskiDid you read the post made by Kel. Perhaps you would like to produce some evidence of your claim rather than being arrogant to other Snowheads
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
alex_heney, You clearly have little knowledge of the area. I can't be bothered to argue with you. rolling eyes

Of course you can't.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmm I post an inncocent trip report and it turns into immature squabbling over 'who knows more than who' rolling eyes whats happened to this forum? not sure I'll bother anymore, its not the same as it used to be.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, I was a bit bemused too - just said how nice it was, and I started WW III. Sorry for messing up your thread!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The idea of a forum is to offer one's experience and opinion no matter how limited they are.

Correction is in order if the offered information is misleading other SHs.

However there are ways to present the corrections without getting into a unfriendly mode.
snow report
feefee wrote:
Hmmm I post an inncocent trip report and it turns into immature squabbling over 'who knows more than who' rolling eyes whats happened to this forum? not sure I'll bother anymore.

Me neither. Sad I was purely passing on information I've gleaned from chatting with friends I've made in the Val Gardena over many years. I then get slammed by occasional visitors desperate to rubbish information given in good faith.
There are a few members of this forum, whom appear to partake of such negativity on a regular basis.
latest report
[quote="Mollerski
There are a few members of this forum, whom appear to partake of such negativity on a regular basis.[/quote]
I used to post a while back then gave up when 'something' annoyed me, as I still pop in to gather info etc I feel it only right to offer info in return, but this forum has changed a lot, just read through a few threads here and there shows just how much bitching and sniping goes on, it really isn't the same, which is very sad.
snow report
feefee, I am sorry that your very informative report on Canazei has finished up in a argument about other matters. I have been posting for most of the life of Snowheads although only 1100 posts and consider that there are not so many arguments these days that might fall under your heading of bitching and sniping
snow report
riverman, Sorry but what do you mean?
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
feefee wrote:
Hmmm I post an inncocent trip report and it turns into immature squabbling over 'who knows more than who' rolling eyes whats happened to this forum? not sure I'll bother anymore.

Me neither. Sad I was purely passing on information I've gleaned from chatting with friends I've made in the Val Gardena over many years. I then get slammed by occasional visitors desperate to rubbish information given in good faith.

You didn't get "slammed" at all.

I just asked a perfectly reasonable question regarding one of your posts, and pointed out that the other one wasn't completely accurate.

You are the one who started throwing personal insults around, and getting a huff that your word wasn't just taken as gospel.

Quote:

There are a few members of this forum, whom appear to partake of such negativity on a regular basis.

There are, but fortunately, not many.

P.S. Sorry feefee, I didn't intend hijacking your thread.
snow report
feefee, In your post you said that you had read some of the current threads and concluded that there is more bitching and sniping goes on than there used to be. I was disagreeing with the view that there is less bitching and sniping than there used to be.
ski holidays
[quote="alex_heney"]
You are the one who started throwing personal insults around, and getting a huff that your word wasn't just taken as gospel.

More tosh. I didn't insult anyone or get huffy.

If you don't believe my information, fine, I don't care. If you wish to vainly search for evidence to discredit my information, feel free.

A quick search of your post history reveals this is how you regularly 'entertain' yourself.

Perhaps when not on the 'battlefield', you should stick to polishing your helmet. Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 18-04-10 22:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mollerski, You have just got in a huff again !
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
Mollerski, You have just got in a huff again !

How are you defining 'huff'? Puzzled

I'm totally chilled thanks. wink
snow conditions
Mollerski, no sense of humour as well
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
Mollerski, no sense of humour as well

I'm sorry to here that, it may come with practise. wink

Try to avoid Alas Heney's posts, that'll help. Laughing
snow conditions
Mollerski, good try
snow conditions
riverman wrote:
Mollerski, good try

Brilliant! Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman, rolling eyes I rest my case rolling eyes
snow conditions
feefee, Sorry about this.

I won't respond to his latest posts.