Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stance width question

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry I'm being a bit "questiony" at the moment.

So I've got this flipping snowing-board right, and I've more or less banged the bindings into a configuration that I think fits my feet (by twisting screws and chopping bits off), and after doing all that I had to actually attach the damn things to the wood.

I have almost certainly made a mistake here, as I've got a directional board, despite being quite an ambidedxtrous rider (I would say 60/40 normal/switch if not actually 50/50). So - hey, this'll be a good idea, I thought, I adjusted (narrowed) the stance width so that the length of the tail is a bit nearer the length of the nose, by bringing the rear binding position toward the centre by one notch.

Good idea, or am I going to go on my arse?

I took some measurements, and end-to-centre-of-binding the board is near enough twinish - albeit my bindings are maybe an inch closer together than the textbook measurement - but the tail is a bit fat and rotund compared to the long, sleek, tapered nose.

The flex is directional as well, so the tail is quite a bit more springy than the nose.

I ride ducky wucky by the way. +15 -12.

Will I die? Obviously I will eventually, but I mean will I die sooner than that?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, um, sounds like a dumbass question i know, but do you have the board in the correct front/back config? cos most boards have a slightly broader nose and narrower tail. from your description, you sound as though you've got your bindings facing more back than front (+12/-15)?

i'm also concerned that you've needed to chop bits off...? post a pic so we can decide and then we can make a guessimate on your impending death. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, Did you chop bits off your bindings, your board or perhaps yourself???????
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The bits I chopped off were just the flappy end bits of unused rubber straps on the bindings, to get them out of the damn way.

sherlock - not a dumb question. Emabarassingly I'm probably not absolutely *100%* sure which way round the board goes. But all the visual cues from the graphics suggest I've got it right. I hold it upright and the graphic/text is the "right way up", so I assume that the top is the nose I must have got that right surely.

Nose and tail are the same width at their widest points, but the tail is more bulbous. And with the bindings in their default places, the nose is significantly longer.

I can't imagine a scenario where you'd want negative binding setback (i.e. longer tail than nose) so although not actually 100% certain, I'm at least 99.87636% sure.

But I'd still like to know about any possible consequences of a) narrowing my stance width compared to the board's intrinsic stance width. and b) is shoehorning a directional board into twin-esque dimensions the actions of a bellend?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 10-04-10 13:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, we've been doing loads of this stuff this winter, it can be hard to explain without being face to face, but let's try.
First job is to find yourself a decent length of wood, wider than the length of your feet and around 80cm long.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like the above.

Ok, this is the most important bit, now you shall stand on the wood, put it on the floor!!!! You might want a friend to help you.

You must relax, head up and walk on the spot, take around 20 paces. Do not look down, head up all the time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A protractor or something that will measure angles accurately is needed, and a pen and a strip of skirting or something similar and a ruler.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't wait for the next installment of this! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, Nope that's all there is.... but do let us know how you get on. Photos at least should be provided (video definately preferable) Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, So you got your tools????
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Schuss in Boots, Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't bi-lateral toe in the way forwards?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if you hadn't done so much of it you might have been able to flog me some board boots, been fixing mine with araldite and gaffer tape for 6 weeks now. Still holding.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AHEM

Stance WIDTH question. My angles are fine.
latest report
anarchicsaltire, Happy Birthday.
latest report
paulio wrote:
a) narrowing my stance width compared to the board's intrinsic stance width. and b) is shoehorning a directional board into twin-esque dimensions the actions of a bellend?

a) narrow stance is for losers and will make th eboard flappy

b) actions of a bellend. You're in the wrong place with regards to the sidecut, the board will ride like a sack of frogs. Get yourself a directional twin or true twin and leave the directional boards to the bearded guys.
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, I shaved when the weather got warm.
ski holidays
Swirly, Too much information Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
I ride a 67cm stance with 2.5 deg canted footbeds, +18 -18 on a true twin jib board. Most people are around 55cm from what I've seen this winter. Wider makes the board more aggresive, gives a more stable ride and makes you look steezy. You sacrifice being able to go off piste so much with a wide stance though
The only boards I ever found that go too wide are the ICS burtons. The +35 marker points are perfect. past that you cant ollie any more. If you go stupid wide like me the canted footbeds on the bindings are a knee saver plus they give you more pop in the ollie/nollie.

I had a guy last week trying exactly what you are trying, riding a directional board as a twin by moving the rear binding in. I advised him as I did you, it will ride like shite because you are in the wrong place on the sidecut, he tried it and agreed and hired a twin. Try it though, snowboarding has no rules. I love my current board, best board I ever had imo, friends tried it and hated it.
ski holidays
OK I'm going to give it an hour in a fridge and take a screwdriver with me. I've only narrowed it by a teeny bit (to about 53/54cm), so I'll see how i get on and return it to defaults if it feels crap, cheers stab.

I got fooled into buying a directional board, that's my excuse. I'd equated the description 'freestyle board' with ' it will be twin or near-twin'. Which is mostly true. Not true in all cases though, as I've found out. Burton Operator from last season btw, pre ICS. Shaun White's signature deck. Surely he occasionally rides fakie, or so I'd been led to believe Smile bah.
snow conditions
paulio, just get some skis wink
snow conditions
Quiet you.
ski holidays
OK, sorry
latest report
Hnag on a minute, paulio, I'm confused. Your question is about stance width (which at 53/54 doesn't sound rediculously narrow, but without knowing your vital statistics, I really don't know. Sounds a bit narrow for freestyle, mind, if you're all about the parkstyle jibjabs...) but it sounds like your concern is actually more to do with fore/aft position....? Confused

What are you actually likely to be doing with the thing? Would have thought that staying fairly central to the sidecut is going to make it ride better, whatever you're doing, even if you sacrifice a bit of control when riding switch.

Try what you like, though. You might like it.... Try loads of settings and see what works for you. FWIW, I'm a bit ambidextrous, and I've been fiddling around lately with a directional board, trying to make it work everywhere. I've ended up switching from a 54cm stance to 60cm, central to the manufacturer's recommendations, and i'm about 5'10". Reasonably happy that way, but please bear in mind that I am absolutely rubbish.....
snow conditions
paulio, The angles are fine? It will effect the stance width if they are a little out, also are you using a Foot bed?
snow conditions
Angles are fine as in "that's what I always do with them, and I like it". No footbeds.

harrisontherabbit - 90% on piste, 5% park, 5% off-piste. Thereabouts.

Fore-aft - well fore is staying where it is, and I'm bringing aft in by an inch to try and make the tail a similar length to the nose.

It's confusing, because I'm doing something daft, as has been pointed out Smile

Maybe I should just put everything at the defaults, and forget about it.

I'm ALSO starting to worry that a) the board is a bit narrow and b) I should have bought M bindings rather than L.

What an amateur, eh.
ski holidays
Good Luck.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, when I got my ski boots from your old place Seb told me I could use the footbeds in my board boots. I didn't bother last season but decided to give them a go this time round on the first day of the season. By the end of the first run I was in agony with blisters on both feet. Took them out and they've stayed in the ski boots ever since.

Feet have been fine since, both sets of boots feel fine Puzzled
latest report
Swirly, 1 run, blisters?? Harsh, must be a major error somewhere. Never had this problem, could be a stance issue............ Laughing
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yeah well one run after a 10 minute walk to the lifts but like I say they're fine in the ski boots.

I'll have a look for some wood Laughing
snow report
Am I being took the piss out of?

I sure hope so!
ski holidays
paulio, binding size depends on boot size, if the right size bindiings are too big for your board you have 3 options:

(1) Use them anyway, can be a problem if the catch on steep ground (has to be very steep though), more of a problem if you fall on something icy and it stops you getting an edge in to stop yourself sliding.

(2) Get a wider board.

(3) Get riser plates to move them above the board, you might lose some feel but can be more aggressive when carving.

You may as well carry on, only way you'll really know if this is a good or bad idea is to try it out on snow.
snow report
I'm borderline between 2 binding sizes. Burton Mission M is up to UK 10; L is 9+.

I'm 10. So I went L. Based on "9+". :S

The duck-ness of my preferred stance affords me a bit of breathing room width-wise I guess.

(2) looks favourite to be honest. Already looking. I got the operator for peanuts, and have no attachment to it (not even a leash!). I reckon I can sell it on and not make a loss. Fridge with a screwdriver: imminent.

I won't report back, as I'm aware I'm now being a bit tedious. Thanks everyone.
ski holidays
I WILL report back, tedious or not.

I tried the back binding on a little closer to the nose, twas alright. Could ride both ways. In the end though, I stuck it back to its default position. Normal riding seems noticeably easier. Now I must say, switch riding did feel better on the 'bellend' setting, so my experiment was a partial success, but ultimately the board as a whole feels better set up in the conventional way. And I can still ride it switch more or less.

And it looks more 'steezy'.

My beard has grown back though.
latest report
I ride the same board, with the stance set-up more or less centered. I centre the stance by moving the front binding forward though, so end up with a wider centred stance than you.

The Operator, like all(?) Burton boards has a simple radial sidecut. Since it's not tapered either, it's a twin shape board. There may be slightly different shapes to the nose & tail beyond the contact points, but pretty minimal. Basically, it's a twin - although I think you're correct in saying that the flex is directional.

No problems (other than skill limitation!) riding it either forward or switch.
ski holidays
stevomcd, I had thought about moving the front one forward. Might give that a go next time!

All the gumpf about the Operator describes it as directional shape and flex... I agree that it looks quite twinny though, and some coarse measurements I took also support that idea.
latest report
Front binding: moved forward.

Will test on Saturday.

Also, I have decided: Burton Mission bindings are, overall, cheap malfunctioning crap.
snow conditions
paulio, Having read this thread all the way through and doing extensive reseach on the net and two hoursplaying with my measuring tape and protractor, and also talking to the pimple faced boarder who lives next door I have come to the conclusion that Shimmy Alcott, was right. Get some skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I didn't know you lived next door to me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy