Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarding only resort

Poster: A snowHead
yeah see thats what i thought, alot of American resorts have a huge amount of snowboarders, so it is possible.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"In 2007, there were 5.5 million skiers and 5.1 million snowboarders, according to the National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA). Because about 14 percent of snowboarders also ski, and 13 percent of skiers snowboard, that amounts to a total of 9.2 million people hitting the slopes."

If this stat is true I don't see why a snowboard only resort couldn't survive in the States if a ski only resort can...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would be a nuisance, just like a skiing-only resort would be, since I've never ever been on a ski holiday that wasn't a mixed group. I quite like having my snowboarding mates with me, even if they are constantly moaning about drag lifts and have their arses hanging out of their stupid enormous trousers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's a drag lift?

It sounds like some strange cosmetic procedure for right wing politicians.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you serious Hang11? what resorts do you go to lol i wanna go there. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
New Zealand. We've got funny names for stuff, never heard of drag lifts here.

Do you mean rope tows? - the tortuous things where there's the noisy bit of grandad's massey ferguson pulling a few hundred metres of rope, and you have to wear a climbing harness and nutcracker to get up it? I hate those things, always smack my knees into the pulleys and endure massive pain to haul my back bottom up the hill on a powder day. Roundhill is getting a 1.4km long one installed this year with about 600m of vert on it. Kind of excited and dreading having a crack at that one all at the same time snowHead

We've got a few hills with chairlifts and the odd T-Bar, but they're a doddle compared to the rope tows. It all adds to the lift ticket price and crowds though, so I reckon shite lifts are the way forward for keeping a hill uncrowded and low key.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11, drag lifts = anything that "drags" you up the hill i.e. poma (button) lifts and rope tows mainly. even though skiers "sit" on them, some snowboarders refer to t-bars as drags cos we still get dragged up the hill - we can't really sit on them.

i recently read an article about riding those nutcracker/harness lifts in nz. can't say the idea appeals tbh. i'd rather hike in that case lol.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hang 11 are you an irishman? hate drag lifts, looking forward to going to a resort with only a few t bars and you dont even need to go near them, i hear. Gondola right outside our pension, thank god for Austria. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sherlock235 wrote:

i recently read an article about riding those nutcracker/harness lifts in nz. can't say the idea appeals tbh. i'd rather hike in that case lol.

They're alright once you get the hang of them. They tend to access the decent terrain here, and it doesn't cost as much to stick one on a hill as a chairlift, so most of the little club fields have them, which is a pretty unique experience.

Eretochat - I've been in a few gondolas in Europe, and up that train thing in Tignes. Pretty impressive stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11 wrote:
...They're alright once you get the hang of them. They tend to access the decent terrain here, and it doesn't cost as much to stick one on a hill as a chairlift, so most of the little club fields have them, which is a pretty unique experience...

yeah, i can't remember which mag i read the article in, but the rest of it was about riding in the club fields and sounds pretty awesome. they spent a bit explaining the whole harness riding concept. the more they explained, the more terrified i got. and based on my history with poma lifts, i'll look like i'm trying to losing a limb in my first few attempts Laughing. i was reaaaally rubbish at pomas to start with. am absolutely fine now i know what to expect, but sheesh i hated them to start with.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hear you, i hated them also, but once you know what to expect it gets easier, still hate them though, they bloody kill my feet for some reason. Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eretochat, yeah, i see and hear a lot of that from people on holidays/riding the domes and reading forums.

there are probably many causes of that kind of foot pain, but from my experience, it'll come down to whether your bindings or boots are possibly done up too tightly (for when you're riding the lift) or whether you're unintentionally turning your upper body forward (instead of just your head) when riding, thus straining your leg and foot muscles when they try to compensate to maintain your balance. or even if your legs are too close together/far apart on your board whilst riding.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmmm ... as I'm a skier and most of my mates are snowboarders, I can't say the idea floats my boat .... but maybe some would like the idea.

I do, however, have sympathy for snowboarders who get stuck it parts of resorts that are full of drag-lifts and flat cat tracks. Admitedly, drags can usually be avoided by checking a map - but cat tracks can often look like proper runs on a map.

Maybe a more realistic idea would be to improve the design of the piste maps, so that boarders can more easily find the more suitable areas of a resort (?)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yeah not sure what the reason is for the foot pain, my friends say the same thing, i mean by the time you get to the top you are in bits, think its all down to holding yourself on the track no matter what, so alot of pressure is in the foot area all the way to the top, through the steep bits anyway. Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's something I used to get a lot when I started boarding, still do a bit on really long steep lifts, but not crippling. I think the main thing is to keep relaxed and not fight to keep your board going straight etc - doing that with one foot in puts a lot of pressure on the ball and outside of your front foot. If you can take it easy, and keep your whole body nice and relaxed and your weight evenly distributed, it helps a lot. Binding angles, tightness and stiffness of boots do make a difference as well.

I
snow report
Hey yeah thanks, i think you are right, it is all about relaxing totally with the board and the flow of the slope, easier said than done sometimes though, when you are flying over bumps and the board keeps veering off to the side, ah sure its all part of the boarding experience . lol any other amazing lifts out there for snowboarders, let me know. snowHead
snow conditions
ishay, what's the source of the numbers? The NSGA sports participation figures for 2008 has 6.4m skiing and 5.9m snowboarding, which I still don't believe to be honest. I know there is a higher % of snowboarders in the States than in Europe but I wouldn't have thought it's that high.

It would be very interesting to see how a board only resort managed to get on, but I honest don't think there is the demand for it save for the lunatic fringe who, as has been established here, are years out of date in their thinking, and the days of boarder or skiers only groups are long gone. I have no idea what the costs of building new lifts, but it 'aint going to be cheap, and no resort owners are going to wreck a season and risk bankruptcy by banning skiers purely as an experiment.
latest report
Relax Dr John, why dont you pop off to a ski forum for a while and calm down. God there is always one right!!!!!!!!!!!! rolling eyes
snow report
eretochat wrote:
God there is always one right!!!!!!!!!!!! rolling eyes

Yup, and you usually have to share a T-Bar with them Laughing
snow conditions
eretochat, well that was a rational and intelligent piece of argument wasn't it? rolling eyes

He's right:
- more and more people go out in mixed groups and thay aren't going to go to a resort which demands that they leave their friends at home
- plenty of people do both sports, and won't go somewhere which limits them to one or the other
- no resort management in its right mind is going to spend a fortune on new lifts and then ban the majority of its paying punters
ski holidays
Two of my kids are snowboarders, the rest of us ski. We wouldn't have any interest in visiting a resort that refused admission to any of us.

It's a stoopid idea proposed by an idiot. But then it's just a transparent troll like all the other posts by eretoshowwhatanidiotsheis. and since she is so fond of them, here's a couple of rolleyes for her rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
eretochat, why do you continue to throw abuse at anyone who doesn't agree entirely with your views (such as they are). You started the thread, posed the question, and people are responding. That is the point of an internet message board. I notice the thread hasn't exactly been inundated with snowboarders vehemently agreeing with you and demanding a boarder only resort, is that why you are feeling rejected and unloved? Lashing out like a lonely child craving attention?

Try a different strategy, go on, just try it once, and make a reasoned case in support of your original premise thus encouraging some debate above the level of the sandpit. You never know, you might like it.
snow report
Ok ok, now these ladies' front bottoms are following me around, people here just want to talk in a normal manner about the subject, normal people are not getting agitated here dr john only you, so for all the people who are not really here to chat about this topic, carry on and find something to suit yourself better. Just to inform others here these guys are working as some sort of sick team and like acting like stupid childish bullys, pretty sad really, anyway carry on people, lets get back to the topic at hand, hang 11 how did that work out lol, have not had the experience of sharing with one yet, Dr John nobody was disagreeing with you you knob, think you need to go and read my text again you idiot, i only said calm down as you seemed to be upset with the topic a bit to much, some people REALLY. rolling eyes Puzzled You are the one disagreeing with others, read your text again, lol the lunatic fringe, now ahem who is the one looking for reactions here????? You and your mates. Go away. Cool Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Just as the apocryphal infinite monkeys with typewriters will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare, one day you will post something that make some sense.
ski holidays
What an exceedingly deranged individual. Shocked
snow conditions
Notice how they cant resist having the last word, sad really, now go away, ok your brilliant, lets just entertain you both. Now back to the topic at last, i came across a guy on line, that tells of a snowboard only resort at Green Valley in the San Bernardino Mtns. in Southern California. Must be some kind of retaliation in what is probably the highest snowboarder to skier ratio area. He writes, GoSki.com gives the info on the only resort I know of that does not permit skiers, but caters to snowboarders. A word of caution to potential riders wanting to go to this secluded out of the way different place. A small, probably relatively low used road that is the only paved access I know of to a rare riding experience, may be a little more slicker than the state road it comes off of.
latest report
Big Air Green Valley is a snowboard park. Snowboards only - skis are not permitted.
Big Air operates under special use permit issued by the San Bernardino National Forest. Big Air is officially welcoming back skiers for the 1998/1999 season. During the 1998/1999 season their rental shop and school will cater to snowboarders, only. Skiers, please rent ahead. Lol looks like it did not survive though, probably due to the fact it was so remote. In a larger state that is more known, i am guessing it would of made it. Location! Location !
snow conditions
would HAVE
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dont know, it is not something i would totally disregard for the future, enough snowboarders out there i think, the sport is growing everyday. Who knows right! Smile
ski holidays
eretochat, i think the vast majority of people who do winter sports wouldn't want a segregated resort and/or pistes. as has been said on this thread and on others done previously, a lot of people slide in mixed groups. there's no point in saying we should only have a resort for snowboarders/skiers/snowmobilers/snowbladers/whatever. it doesn't make a lot of financial sense (probably the reason big air green valley didn't survive).

are you relatively new to snowboarding then? or have you just had a really bad experience with skiers that you come across as hating them so much?
snow report
I dont have anything against skiers as such, i was just wondering if anyone out there could add some valued points, pros and cons. Also interesting to see what the public think in general. Little Angel
snow report
So let's have a look at this. You're proposing "no tow lifts, only chairs gondolas and lifts designed for boarders in mind, which would be nice, built for boarders, run by boarders, who know what is wanted, large parks, wide runs, and no skiers"

It sounds like a resort which caters to beginners (no drags, wide runs) and park rats (large parks). That's a pretty small demographic, and two groups which don't overlap at all. It leaves out anyone past the stage of falling off the drags and needing acres of turning space (ie those who have done more than about three weeks, I'd say), nor does it offer anything to riders who are good enough for the park but like to get out of it now and then, since they're going to get bored with motorway piste in pretty short order.

It's interesting that you don't mention off-piste or powder, since that's a big pull for a lot of (I suggest most) boarders - why not?

I don't really get the 'no skiers' requirement either - I don't know any boarder for whom this is a priority or even a consideration.
snow conditions
No no no LIZZARD, i was thinking of a resort with comfort in mind for snowboarders ask any snowboarder would he rather a chair or a tow, think you know the answer to that one, obviously off-piste is a huge factor, and before you burst your blood vessel, this is just a chat about the possiblility of such a place, it is amazing how the skiers are getting so annoyed at this, grow up, rolling eyes its only a topic of conversation. Should you not be learning your animal cards or something Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
eretochat, i think you'll find most park rats don't want a chair for the park. partly cos they're used to the tows, partly cos the tow itself is a means of keeping out people who can't ride properly yet and lastly cos a fair few park rats don't unclip for the tows and ride up strapped in. using a chair in the park would slow 'em down.

i take it you don't quite mean a "snowboarder only" resort as you asked in your op? cos i think by the info you yourself have posted, you must realise that it's not likely to become a reality. that is, not unless you wanna buy a hill, fund the installation of all the chair lifts and all the other infrastructure that goes with creating a new resort. on that note, it may be worth reading the magazine linked to in this post. it seems to cover a fair bit of info on the infrastructure of a resort and all the work (and money) that goes into it.

ps. and pls play nicely. Lizzard does make some valid points.
snow report
eretochat, that was a direct quote from your original post. Or have you now changed your mind about everything apart from the drag lifts?

I don't see why you would start a topic of conversation and then get all shirty when people give you their thoughts on the issue. And I'm neither annoyed nor a skier, by the way.
snow conditions
Sherlock good points there, i have my doubts it will come to pass, but as i said you never know, it is possible, sherlock obviously you have not encountered Lizard at his most annoying yet, but give it time it is bound to happen, also quick note for Lizzard, nobody is getting shirty (lol) express away, also why are you here, if you are neither a skier or a snowboarder, hmmmmmmmm. Strange. Puzzled Stalker maybe, well lets be honest you seem to pop up everywhere. Mad
ski holidays
Quote:

why are you here, if you are neither a skier or a snowboarder, hmmmmmmmm.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You may wish to re-read a few posts, girly.
latest report
sherlock235, some resorts are more snowboard friendly than others, and in the main that means not too many drags, long flats or narrow cat tracks, which is what eretochat, I assume, is getting at. Obviously drags in a snow park are a must because the are quicker, cheaper and take up less space (just a couple of meters up one side). In reality resorts have been changing over the last twenty years or so in to a more snowboard friendly environment, but I think that has more to do with snowsports as a whole rather than specifically for snowboarders.

Lizzard, I had not interpreted "no tow lifts ....... lifts designed for boarders in mind .... wide runs... " as a beginners resort, just simply a resort that sounds good to me; if I had a choice between a drag or a chair I would (like most skiers/boarders) go for the chair, and similarly I would prefer a wide black to a narrow green any day of the week.

A firm 'no' to a boarder only resort though from me because I mainly board with skiers and I quite enjoy blasting around.
ski holidays
Also sherlock another thing mate, it does not matter if one is used to a tow lift, given a chance a boarder would rather a chair anyday, ask around you will see. How would a chair slow one down ????????? also other great lift for boarders would be more rope tows or the relaxing magic carpets like this one Little Angel
http://youtube.com/v/df1KSGiaQZQ even us adults enjoy them lol.
ski holidays
eretochat, Laughing i've been on this forum for a couple of years and since then i've learnt a few things about Lizzard.

1.) Lizzard is a woman
2.) she's snowboarded for a while, so her experience allows her to know a thing or two, both about resorts and about technique and equipment
3.) she can't be bothered to be a stalker, even less be a stalker on any thread unless she's amusing herself cos she's as bored as i am at the end of a season
4.) she lives and works in a resort and has done so for a while. this means she'll also know a bit about what goes into a successful resort

(correct me if i'm wrong here on any point pls Lizzard Laughing .)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy