Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft flexing boots...can it be used to flex stiff skis?

Poster: A snowHead
hello
i have nordica easy move 12, and just wondering what skis would go well with it.
i shouldnt be getting something too stiff, right?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
enoch, it depends on your skiing style and ability, I have soft boots (rossignol soft 1's) but very stiff skis (Head GS), for me it works but it might not for many others
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
enoch,

Generally a softer ski is forgiving of mistakes and easier to turn at low speeds which is why they can be a intermediate or lower type ski.
The faster a skier goes then they can put more force into the turn and may require a stiffer ski, particarly on piste. If you have soft skis and soft boots you may find it harder to hold an edge at higher speeds. There comes a time when you begin to trade one desirable against the other.
So no you don't want a stiff ski as it will not be easy to turn. This is why beginners don't want Race skis, they would never be able to edge them enough to get a tight turn.
Look for skis in your skill set and try a few out so you get a reasonable perspective of what the Ski tech tells you what athe ski
should do and what you can actually get it to do. Easy to turn, hard to turn, good on ice etc
Stiffer skis take more effort/technique to turn
Softer boots/skis are more forgiving of mistakes or terrain
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I've heard softer boots tend to be easier to use in the powder - so if you want to ski on everything...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i only got those boots coz they dont have anything stiffer within my price range.
a lil about myself, im 183lbs, 5' 11", intermediate, want a twin tip that can carve, cant be too expensive.

im thinking of getting the 1080 with look/rossi bindings, will that set up be ok?

my biggest worry is that im too heavy for soft boots and skis.
and the guy at my local ski shop is a bit =S so i dont know what to believe and what not to believe, thats why i keep asking questions.

i've heard soft boots are good in the park, that true?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Soft boots can be more forgiving so therefore helpful in difficult conditions, ie deep snow or for that matter, the park, not that I do any park stuff. A stiffer boot wil be more precise and the idea is that the ski goes where the boot directs it which is a good thing for a good skier.

As regards a complimentary ski, I don't know, a 1080 is a good all-rounder, sound might say its too soft but others tour on it and rate its soft snow performance. I don't think your weight will out power the ski and unless the boots are for beginners they should be ok. If you improve fast you might find you want skis and boots with a bit more beef.
Can you rent the 1080 and demo it with ypur boots because what ever advice you get on this board the final like/dislike will be your own.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hey JT thanks, very helpful. my boots are nordica easy move 12, they're a "all round comfort" boot...so i guess beginners? i guess i can always get new boots as i get better, i doubt ill be going down double blacks drooling anytime soon, so those boots 'should' last me a good few years. ill ahve to see if i can demo them, hopefully i can.
thanks again!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
enoch,

I have looked these up and they appear suitable for intermediate to advanced skiers so should fit your needs quite well.
It doesn't sound as though you will 'outperform' these boots too quickly. You will probably want to move on from these before you have to. Sounds like you have at least 2-3 years of use in them and even then they will be a good boot for someone so you can sell these on..!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks JT! really great help Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly 1080's are not the best choice for you, as I understand they are mostly an off-piste + park ski, and it sounds like you are more of an intermediate skier. B2's, for example, are 4 cm narrower at the waist, and I believe a bit beefier. A bit pricier though, and not twin tip.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
enoch, it depends on your skiing style and ability, I have soft boots (rossignol soft 1's) but very stiff skis (Head GS), for me it works but it might not for many others
Oh, oh. I just learned more about you, D G! Softs, eh? Let's go skiing sometime, eh?! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks ponder
i want something that i can use in the park thou. is the Scratch a better choice then?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
enoch, Scratch and 1080s are targeted at the same skier...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
but i've read on this forum and on epic 1080 and scratch's ability on piste...
what would you recommand me? something that's good for park, on piste and is forgiving
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ssh, I have a preference for comfortable feet, mind you I do also have a pair of xscream boots if I have to go high performance, I just prefer cruising these days wink
snow conditions
Soft is a bit of a relative term though. I use Xwave 8's most of the time which I'd term as soft compared to my Atomic 10:50's. I'm not convinced stiff boots are required for stiff ski's though. I can easily ski with slightly softer boots at some speed but skis with a lot of flex at speed are a nightmare.

Whereas the majority of the skiing public are on a pair of soft skis and very stiff boots.
latest report
..and... I suspect Soft boots or something very likely like them will be pretty big in future. I think boots haven't evolved to the degree skis have so there my be someway to go yet.
latest report
ise, I doubt it. I expect better fit from the shell so less cushion needed for better performance. I think the "soft boot" is done (again).
ski holidays
um
how big does length play? im 5'11", 183lbs, if i go for a 181, will it be too long? im talking about candide pro 1080
ski holidays
enoch, yep, probably too long. Try 'em?
snow report
ssh wrote:
ise, I doubt it. I expect better fit from the shell so less cushion needed for better performance. I think the "soft boot" is done (again).

Unlikely, people buy blades when they've given up skiing. Demand for ski boots that aren't actually ski boots can only go up.
ski holidays
tell me more abt blades..my fd was raving abt them
snow report
enoch, my bro has just got 1080s in a touring setup with Scarpa Denali TTs - fairly stiff for touring but very soft for an on-piste boot - and absolutely raves about that combo. He's about the same height as you but a bit lighter (about 165lbs). We've just done a big tour and hit all sorts of conditions - slush, powder, ice, breakable crust, spring snow (all within about 200m in some cases) and they worked well for pretty much all that. Can't really comment on on-piste performance as he really doesn't do that much there, but he loves them in the park too. 181 will probably be too long (he got the 171s) unless you need it to carry your weight in the powder. I'm about 200lbs and I needed a similar width ski at 184 to carry my weight - 178 was definitely too short for me.
snow conditions
thanks grahamn
but im leaning towards the b1, will that be a good ski for what i've mentioned?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy