Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Leopard to quit competition skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Kwame Nkrumah Achampong (aka Snow Leopard), Ghana's first professional skier to participate in the Winter Olympics, has announced that he's quitting the sport. Apparently, he now wants to set up a project in Ghana to train new skiers from his country.
...Source: http://www.africanews.com/site/Ghanas_Snow_Leopard_quits_skiing/list_messages/31181?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He did hint at something like this during an interview for the Olympics. Good Luck to him Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Getting to the olympics as he did was a massive achievement and I really hope he is successful now at passing on his enthusiasm and drive to youngsters. He's a great role model for them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly, Absolutely! Good luck to him, if hard work and determination are anything to go by he'll do wonders as a role model to youngsters.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair play and good luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow Leopard, if you're reading: good luck - you're a great sport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
no comment
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perhaps people can now concentrate on the wealth of real ski racing talent that we have in the UK instead of on this 'novelty act'!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Philbo, Well said!!! Lets get it properly funded too!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Philbo, Plugboy, you have a sad outlook on life.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dwarf Vader,

I don't think so. When an 'athlete' from another country gets the publicity and sponsorship from UK companies when his ability is FAR lesser that that of the national squad athletes who are underfunded in the UK, it's a travesty.

I've been working with British athletes for many years and through all the issues with the governing bodies so, I believe I have an experienced view of the sport.

As for his qualification for the olympics, it is interesting that someone who's best FIS points results are 206, goes to a series of races in Iran and scores an 85 in order to bring his points within qualification for the Olympics. Then doesn't score anywhere near these points again!

He must have had several weetabix for breakfast that morning!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader, Not a sad outlook at all. Totally agree with Philbo. He got huge amounts of sponsorship & publicity for 1 reason alone. Not for his skiing ability! Easyjet sponsored him, that would have been so much help to the Gb team!
And his qualification for the Olympics was far far easier than the GB athletes too. It's all been said before, but he only had to get below 140 FIS points in Slalom to qualify, the GB guys had to get a top 20 in Europa cup which was anywhere between 15 - 26 FIS points (this is about 19 to 21 seconds faster)

the races in Iran were openly advertised as paying low piointed (better) skiers to compete - Why???
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anyone see this ?? http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/sport/Super-skier39s-30k-payday.6250353.jp

good to see a bit of sponsorship money coming out...

Dwarf Vader, while i applaud his efforts to train and enter the Olympics as well as going out and getting sponsorship he qualified for the Games under very questionable circumstances as the others have said. I personally wouldn't have minded too much as it is the Olympics not the world championships and emerging nations should get a look in. But I thought his defensive run avoiding coming out at all costs just to post a finish was kinda sad to watch and cynical. At least Eddie the Eagle gave it his best effort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Looks like it is a deal with Head UK for equipment. I think the £30,000 mentioned in the report maybe slightly exagerated?
Always good to see a bit sponsorship going to the younger skiers. But I wouldn't get too excited about it. Quit e alot of younger racers get discounted deals with various British suppliers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Philbo, Was wondering how long it would take for this to pop up.

I know what my times are compared to one or two of the guys that raced in the slalom are and I would have been quicker then the snow leopard but I am a long way off Olympic qualification range!

Have heard some strange stories about his qualification form guys that where at races with him,
snow report
I'm glad he was poo-poo, the whole poo-poo loser thing has been done before with Eric the eel and Eddie the eagle and I just find it Be Nice please! boring now.
ski holidays
Fattes13, Yes, I've heard rumours about the Iran races too.
The result scored there seems nothing short of incredible really. He's achieved his goal of going to the Olympics (I hesitate to use the word compete) and is now retiring. As I said above, this should be a good thing for the credibility of the sport in this country.
snow conditions
I still say the attitude in thread is sad, for a number of reason's I know I will be wasting my time typing out.

Gsyfreerider, Funny really because I think the same of you.
latest report
Dwarf Vader, when people cheat to get to the olympics (as the rumours were) then we are better off without them gleening publicity, we have plenty of talented skiers in this country, they are poorly funded and mostly don't get as far as they could for that very reason
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, I'm with you .. says lots about the psyche ...

It would feel a lot more wholesome if the back-biting was done through the authorities. If the FIS/Olympic Committee did something then fair enough.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, Agenterre, Gsyfreerider, This is not back bitting just looking at facts!

His results in the olympocs where so far off the running as to make it near impossible for him to have gleamed the qualification points either that or he was having a really bad day. If he did not qualify by ligitimit means he took the place of some one that could have and that is as bad as doping.

Rumours always have a little bit of truth to them
snow report
Plugboy, Intrigued to read what you wrote above..."Quite alot of younger racers get discounted deals with various British suppliers..

How on earth does it work ?.... Is it who you know rather than based on honest results? Sure do wish we could find a sponsor!!

http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/sport/Skier-snowed-under-by-trophies.6233401.jp

Smile
ski holidays
Gillian, WhatPlugboy, says is true. Many racers do get discounted deals. as I'm sure you are aware.

It is usually a matter of approaching them (usually importers rather than retailers alone). But most of the importers, if inclined to, will then offer the deals via the retailers.

There are several racers in your own club who have deals on equipment from various sources.

Many clubs have deals set up for their members with better deals sometimes being brokered for those with better results/national team members etc.
snow report
Hi Philbo, Yes we know what Plugboy says is true, fully aware !!!

If is just that then...'approaching the importers'... We'd love to know who the importers are then! Maybe you could pass on some of this information via the club to us Phil. Would be very much appreciated... we can but try!

Thanks!
ski holidays
Gillian, The websites for each manufacturer list their importers for each country. You could also look at the adverts in Racer Ready.
snow report
Gillian, rjs, is correct. but I would expect the club with which the athletes train on snow to do this, as these are the results which will impress the potential sponsors the most.
snow report
Gillian, with Roberts GB childrens team selection there should be deals to be had out there, we work a boots and fitting deal for the England squad, this is something we have done for the past few years, no one from BSS has been in touch about offering anything similar to the GB teams, (no one form snowsports GB when it was in existance did anything about this either) the offer was on the table but it must be instigated by the federation/coaches/managers, we do not do individual deals with the athletes
latest report
can't edit posts in here to add there are plenty of people/businesses in the UK willing to assist but if nobody asks...........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy