Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schussing on sticky spring snow

Poster: A snowHead
Yes it's that time of the year again. One thing I hate is the feeling that I'm about to be toppled by invisible hands grabbing my skis when straightlining in sticky snow.

It seems to feel 'more likely' on my right leg so I'm thinking that I'm making the situation worse somehow by having my weight in the wrong place?

Any ideas experts?

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lou, Its one of the things that happens this time of year. I notice it most on tree lined cat tracks where they get sun in patches and the consistiency changes. Its less of a problem running in a straight line with equal weighting and more if I put in turns. I think learning to live with it is as much as one can do.
Zardoz notwax is good in the spring snow and will help skis glide more in the wet snow. Apply morning and lunch in these conditions. Don't bother with it in cold dry snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, it's horrible, isn't it? I had that a couple of weeks ago, when it got very warm. Schussing, skis parallel, then suddenly one would be "grabbed" and the other slide on, only to have the picture reversed a couple of yards later. I don't really have any answers. Coming down our home run, which is a gentle run (not a schuss) yesterday, I found the best way was to have all the weight on one edge of one ski - that seemed to make it cut through the stuff better and I passed lots of people who were on two flat skis. Still needed to be very careful though, as I alternated between legs, because in the patches which had been in the shade of trees the snow suddenly speeded up very briefly, thus chucking my weight back a bit before hitting the next soapy patch and being chucked forward. Not pleasant, but the only practicable way home. The soft watery slushy stuff is so much more fun. I didn't bother going out today - dull conditions, even a little drizzly rain. I cleaned the fridge, did a bit of washing, invited some neighbours in for a pre-lunch drink (French conversation practice!) and ate too many chocolates.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RPF, you should have seen me this morning trying to put turns in impossible places Laughing I think perhaps that equal weighting is what I need to concentrate on and I will look out for Zardoz. Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go for a similar technique to that you adopt for off piste (where you need to be able to adapt to changing conditions underfoot), push the feet forward.

(this makes sense in my head but may not necessarily mean anything to you Laughing )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for zardoz and there is now also a zardoz hard wax available.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. All tips accepted Very Happy I hate that this feeling makes me so nervous Toofy Grin

pam w, dreary here today though brighter now. Looks bleak tomorrow & Fri. I should have popped over for some conversation as way too much English spoken in Flaine and French classes recommence soon. I have to be quite firm in inflicting my French on the locals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I have to be quite firm in inflicting my French on the locals.

well of the three people we asked in today, one speaks very little English, so that made it easier as we couldn't leave him out. It is far easier with people who speak no English (not hard to find, round here). If their English is definitely better than my French then it's kinder to have the conversation in English than inflict my French on them, I think. With someone who speaks no English I feel much more confident.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had that happen to me last week, still have a sore thigh from the pulled muscle. Not getting much rest as i'm on my feet all day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv wrote:
I'd go for a similar technique to that you adopt for off piste (where you need to be able to adapt to changing conditions underfoot), push the feet forward.

(this makes sense in my head but may not necessarily mean anything to you Laughing )

Yep - anticipate resistance by moving feet forwards. That and a slightly lower athletic stance will give you the best tools to adapt to changing conditions. Waxing often, too...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC wrote:
arv wrote:

Yep - anticipate resistance by moving feet forwards. That and a slightly lower athletic stance will give you the best tools to adapt to changing conditions. Waxing often, too...

I was hoping you'd see it and do my explaining for me Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, if it makes you feel better, I understood you perfectly Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I think being on edge is the solution.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There have been several threads over the last few months regarding Schussing and IIRC lots of folks have recommended setting the skis on edge rather than running flat as they have here (above). FWIW I can see the sense in it as a suggestion to stop some of grabbing as less ski will be on the snow to be affected. I have no direct experience to base that on it just sounds 'right' when you think about it. On that basis surely it has to be worth a try?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually, I think the answer to getting around when the snow is generally very sticky is not to bother. Twisted Evil
snow report
Make sure you get both skis waxed - not just the left Smile
snow report
arv, didn't want to just type "I agree" Wink I've spent a lot of time sat in airports today so whatever passes the time...
snow report
pam w, have you tried using a bar of soap on the bases yet?
snow conditions
....Even more terrifying on Teles!!! You just dont stop when you get pitched forwards!!!
ski holidays
aye... keep on your edges as much as possible - lots of short turns with a nice low stance works well for me...
latest report
Keep your skis on a slight edge, it will stabilize them. Turning is good practice anyway. wink
snow conditions
summer, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Lean back as far as you can and lift your tips in the air water ski style, shiite technique but way more fun snowHead
snow report
Don't follow son who is on twin tips rolling eyes

Need wipers on my goggles for the spray Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, tell about it, I have x2 on twin tips Toofy Grin

More frequent waxing has helped enormously. It always comes down to lubrication Madeye-Smiley

I am also finding keeping on edge helpful. Turning more is not really an option as I was really talking about places you really can't put any more turns in, no matter how hard you try.

And arv, I have not forgotten feet forward Toofy Grin

Thanks all
snow report
Lou, Laughing Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy