Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

low cost alternative to expensive helmet cams

Poster: A snowHead
Shimmy Alcott, well said. Let them without sin cast the first stone. Everyone has had near misses, depthjunkie's main sin here is to post a video of his near misses for all to see. He seemed to be generally in control from what I saw, whereas in 6 days skiing in 3V a few weeks ago there were about 20 people per day I would confiscated their lift pass if I had the authority.

ps, apologies all for the gibberish post, it's Monday, early, and I'm hungover. So sue me.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-04-10 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Oh, FFS, here we go again - lets all stone the newbie to death rolling eyes

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK!

Or, seen from another viewpoint, let's educate the newbie so that they appreciate how to ski better and avoid potential collisions in future?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, well said. Let them without sin cast the first stone. Everyone has had near misses, depthjunkie's main sin here is to post a video of his near misses for all to see. He seemed to be generally in control from what I saw, whereas in 6 days skiing in 3V a few years ago there were about 20 people per day I would confiscated their lift pass if I had the authority.

ps, apologies all for the gibberish post, it's Monday, early, and I'm hungover. So sue me.

I sort of disagree here... (no change there then). Had depthjunkie gone, "oh blimey, didn't realise how close I'd skied to that person, my bad" then this would have been nipped in the bud early on. However, this has, once again (As always seemed to happen in these sorts of threads) degenerated into a self-justification session about how it was the other person's fault for having the temerity to deviate from the fall line.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, yep, fair point (hark at me getting all Kofi Annan), but the tone of some of the posters here suggests a saintly countenance and general perfection in manners, etiquette and technique that I'm just not buying, I'm afraid. But, as you say, depthjunkie could have short-circuited the diversion by fessing-up to a close shave and get back to the relative merits of camcorders (that I am quite interested in).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott,
You are quite right... I have stopped now.. and found something much more fun to do! depthjunkie as you are a 'newbie' to snowHead 's then please carry on skiing with little to no regard for downhill skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The go pro has a angle of view of 170 degrees, it see's more than you do.

with wearing a helemet, goggles i did not see the other guy other than starting off on my run (i.e the complete opposite side of the piste) i stared my run and the next thing he was in my peripheral vision. Thats when i avoided him. And yes i did make an emergancy turn hence why he did not get splaterd, the problem with the angle of view on the camera it has a fish eye effect and inturn flattens out things and also makes objects in the corner of view seem closer than what they really are.

The piste i was on had also just come off a black onto a red, so hardly a baby slope either. I would really like to see how any of you lot would have/could have done anything different.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
but wot do i know im just a noob to you gurus LOL
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depthjunkie stop digging holes dude!

Quote:

And yes i did make an emergancy turn hence why he did not get splaterd

No you didn't... just watch your own video...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When you were going past you were turning towards him.

Anyway, I don't think it was that bad, if it helps. I mean the first one, the second one where you nearly hit the learning girl is bad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sheesh - I'm not going to sit through that vid again but i don't recall him actually hitting anyone. he saw the traverser late and dealt with it; maybe he'll be a bit more careful next time. anyway, no harm was done

i do take issue with the idea that helmetcam footage is better than photos. i guess a lot of it is down to who is taking the footage, but i have only seen one helmetcam trip report that has come close to photo TRs in terms of aesthetic appeal - and this includes lots of TGR TRs with pretty talented camera people. the one helmetcam thing wasn't even done with a helmetcam - it was done with a proper DSLR. i'm sure the guys who had it strapped to their heads looked like dorks but the result was worth it
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erm.. helmet cameras anyone? Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
depthjunkie, think of your argument in terms of explaining a (near) miss to a traffic policeman if you'd been in a car. Your argument is, "I couldn't see him guv, he was in my blind spot, the sunglasses I'm wearing stopped me seeing him..."

So basically you're admitting that you were not in full control as your vision was limited. And you still think you weren't at fault. *sigh* well, there are those that can learn and those that won't.

As I explained already, I'd have angled my run to pass behind the "bleedingly obvious traversing skier" to be honest. Had enough of that argument. You'll never accept you did anything remotely wrong so let's put it down to experience.

On the helmet cam/quality/photo thing. You're comparing different things. Still shots are great in their place, but to appreciate a full on wipe out off a kicker ramp then some quality hd footage is a joy to behold. However, the POV thing is not always the best angle for such things... I do think there's some very engaging footage on or around the gopro site showing some snowboarders with "pole-attached" and helmet cams being used.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Moving pictures are great of things that move. And as a tour report I think they beat photos hands down.

I shoot about 5 hours of video footage every year on the boys tour and edit it down to a 15 minute "movie" which we watch at the planning meeting for the following year. It is a great reminder of a great week. I certainly wouldn't be posting it on You Tube though (indeed it is one of the Tour rules that there is only ever 1 copy of the footage) as it would definitely lead to a number of divorces and, as depthjunkie has found, leaves you open to all sorts of unwanted comment on your technique/morals/behaviour Toofy Grin

I am, however, not a big fan of headcams for the reasons demonstrated in this thread - either jerky footage or pretty stade footage if you aren't moving your head very much. I was impressed by the quality of the images in depthjunkie's footage though. However, I still love my Sony Handicam if only for it's ability to shoot footage in the darkness of late night bar trips! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

i do take issue with the idea that helmetcam footage is better than photos. i guess a lot of it is down to who is taking the footage, but i have only seen one helmetcam trip report that has come close to photo TRs in terms of aesthetic appeal

I agree that photos (good ones, of which there are some excellent examples on recent TR threads) are far better in terms of aesthetic appeal, but for a holiday record, for the family and mates, of a ski holiday, a movie has a lot to offer. I did some movies of my kids and grandchildren at Christmas, including 6 year olds first lesson, her first chairlift ride, the littler ones toboganning etc. I made them a DVD and they are thrilled with it - they've been able to show their other grandparents who have never been skiing and have no idea what it's all like. The quality is good because it's a good camera, even though I am rubbish with it - Panasonic HD, not a helmet cam, and my computers struggle mightily with the output. I wouldn't inflict my film on the world in general, though. I have actually joined a local video club to get some ideas from more experienced people - I might pluck up the courage to put a 4 minute edited film into their "holiday video" competition. I watched last year's, and they weren't too intimidating; especially the guy who did a film of his winter holiday to the arctic circle in Norway. I am the only female member of the video club and the only member of any gender under 70. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hyweljenkins wrote:
paulg, a class 6 memory card will not necessarily sort the frame-rate at all.

Yes it will.
snow conditions
I thought the picture quality from depthjunkie looked great in the small Youtube window. There were segments of straight-lining through powder and a couple of turns in powder on a very gentle slope. However, I wanted some more as the pictures always stopped when the skier got to more interesting sections of powder.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/d1E93T2dOJQ&feature=channel

Watch this anyone interested in getting a more up-market HD helmet cam.. the whole of this salomon freeski episode in Revelstoke was filmed using the Go Pro Helmet hero HD.
snow report
Personally I thought it was as dull as all the other helmet cam footage I've ever watched. Don't see the point at all. It also gives me motion sickness.
snow conditions
Lizzard, so why read a thread about helmet cams Puzzled
ski holidays
Can anyone recomend a free to use software for editing vids please, like the transitions from one vid to another in depthjunkie1 vid, captions etc

Thanks
snow conditions
One other question, if I want to share vids, what site offers a reasonable amount of free storage and the vid quality does not degrade when uploaded
ski holidays
kendub, here is a thread worth looking at: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190665

Quality always appears better on Vimeo IME.
latest report
I'm with those who criticise depthjunkie for inconsiderate cutting across the skier at 1:51. Too many people ski like they are in their own personal video, in their own world. There is no excuse. Fess up. You did wrong.

Yep, POV video can be pretty boring unless you are following someone. I have been as guilty of this as anyone since I got a helmet cam. But most of it is straight family album stuff. An alternative is to backwards mount the camera, and get someone to ski behind you which can look pretty good.
ski holidays
....ok so what camera should I buy for skiing, cycling, motocross etc Wink
snow report
kendub Movie Maker (that comes packaged with Windows OS) works fine and is really easy to learn. I'm sure there are others but for a once/twice a year holiday pics it is more than adequate.

My only tip (and I am a one/two movies a year man) is to not use too many of the flashy transitions as you start to feel rather sick when watching the movie. I particularly don't like the hyperspace fade used alot on depthjunkie's vid but each to their own.
snow report
I have been editing video for a long time, long enough to remember having to leave the computer on overnight to render a preview (Matrox vid capture card and 486 processor for half resolution PAL). Now using Macs & Final Cut with 1080p25 HD footage that takes ages to render despite '000s of times more processing power.

My lessons learnt from many a movie and many an audience feedback session are

1. Make it shorter than you think => it will get watched more often (and it is quicker to edit 3 mins than 15)
2. Make the transitions simple => almost no-one I have ever done a video for likes ripples/waves/glides/shimmers/breaks. Use quick fades or jumps unless at the end or very beginning
3. Use discrete titles so it is obvious what is going on & learn to overlay them on the video rather than going back to black every time text appears
4. Don't forget slow motion, or fast motion for that matter

And last but most important (and most relevant to this thread) - get good footage and do the same shot more than once. Get low on the piste and even small jumps look massive. Use the ski pole as a monopod to avoid zoom wobble. Strap a helmet cam to the ski as that looked really cool.
latest report
Cheers Folks will give Movie Maker and Movie Maker and Vimeo a try
latest report
I know I keep plugging this video but I think it's a great example of how to do things.

http://youtube.com/v/qjjZoU_05P8

Lots of different techniques - speeded up, slo-mo, helmet cam, ski cam, pole cam - all used to add 'punch' to what are mostly plain tripod shots. (I wish they had a spirit level though!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis It's pretty good and shows the benefit of some simple snap transitions rather than anything too clever. IMHO it also shows the limitations of head cams which I found OK in some spots but gereally bored of them quite quickly. The pole shots are really great though and not something I've ever tried (or even thought of). Now where did I put that roll of tank tape? Very Happy
ski holidays
Out of interest how on earth do you attach a cam to your ski Puzzled
ski holidays
Colin B, I quite liked those bits!

I didn't like the zoomy bits as they made me feel a bit quesy... can't and certainly won't comment on the skiing ability or otherwise... i'll save that for other threads and those who know far more than me!
snow conditions
Try this.
ski holidays
Colin B, Tape it ont your boot or the front of the binding.
snow conditions
Quote:
Colin B Posted: Wed Apr 14, 10 18:44 Post subject:

Out of interest how on earth do you attach a cam to your ski

I just attached it to mine and my wifes ski by using one of the go pro flat 3m pad mounts. Just cleaned the top of the ski with some white spirit (to make sure there was no wax or grease etc on it) and just stuck the pad on and let it over night to go off. Those things when stuck on are staying on, and also as they are pretty flat and unobtrusive they dont get in the way when not using the cam.

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=18
you can see the curved pads and flat pads here ( i used the curved pads on our helmets & as i said the flat on a ski each)
snow report
Gaffer tape a mini tripod to your helnet, then attach a decent camera like my Canon Ixus HD.
ski holidays
depthjunkie .. don't take the go pro diving. Mine leaked at 2m in the pool, sent the worthless pile of crap back
snow report
I like the idea of putting it on your pole and ski but the idea of putting it on your ski seems a bit risky if you cross your tips or pull a iron cross or something.. could easily knock it off or damage it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy