Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many vertical metres in a day is a lot?

Poster: A snowHead
Skiline.cc merely logs which lifts you pass through and then assumes that you went up the lift and skied to the next one that you click through. It would (presumably, I've not tried it) therefore be possible to pass through the lift gate (thereby logging the presence of your lift pass at the bottom of the lift) but to then duck under the rope and not actually get on the lift. When you went back through the gate 5 minutes later the system would think that you had gone up and down in that 5 minutes. Do that for a few hours and you'll easily reach the big numbers that seem physically impossible.

Not the most exciting day out though!

And just to confirm what everyone else has said - my Navman A300 shows around 5 - 6,000m vertical in an average day when cruising around a resort with other people.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the only "vertical metres in a day" record worth having is the one which measures how many you climb up. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney, That's wrong I'm afraid, see here. The longest run in Zermatt/Cervinia, top down to Valtournenche, is actually 22km alone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin B, but there's no way those figures are vertical drop, even if in feet rather than metres it's more than the top of the resort to the bottom. If it's metres then we're talking about the top of Everest to the best part of 4000 m below sea level.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah yes, but those runs carry on beyond the bottom of the resort, into a giant cave full of glistening crystals, and actually finish in the fiery hell of the Earth's core.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, But if you look at the map it shows how it is made up. Yes it's more than top to bottom but it's the sum of the verticals of each lift you use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another good tip for improving your "vertical" stats is to deliberately fall flat on your face at the end of every run, thus increasing your total by your own height (typically around the 175cm mark) each time.

Over the course of a normal day, this could afford you up to an extra 80m to bleat on about in the bar afterwards, whilst sat gawping at a handheld GPS device, and slowly dying inside.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with paulio. I've never felt the need to work out how many vertical metres I've skied. I'd have to stick to the pistes to get a high number and what's the fun in that??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
the only "vertical metres in a day" record worth having is the one which measures how many you climb up. Twisted Evil

or the total size of cliffs you jump off Wink

(my record = 2.5 metres in a day Cool )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

or the total size of cliffs you jump off

Can we make that fall? 6.5 m for me rolling eyes Mind RPF's brother went 40 ft a few minutes earlier.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been on my skiline report from saalbach in march. On one day it lists my vertical as 5543m, my lift distance is 15km so am i right in thinking that would put the inclines on average as 3:1?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, was that lots of very small cliffs? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:

or the total size of cliffs you jump off Wink

(my record = 2.5 metres in a day Cool )

You did ten jumps in a day? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tiger2 wrote:
It would (presumably, I've not tried it) therefore be possible to pass through the lift gate (thereby logging the presence of your lift pass at the bottom of the lift) but to then duck under the rope and not actually get on the lift. When you went back through the gate 5 minutes later the system would think that you had gone up and down in that 5 minutes. Do that for a few hours and you'll easily reach the big numbers that seem physically impossible.

Last year, when their web was a bit different, and you could actually see top 100 on each resort, I was checking a bit top 100 list for Nassfeld (I ski there more then anywhere else). I'm normally skiing quite a lot (with kilometers, height meters and lift counts), and compared to "normal" people I have quite big numbers, but never managed to get much more then 15 to 17k (and around 130km). This was normally enough for top 20 or top 30, and everyone, except maybe top 5 were around my numbers (+/- 1000 height meters), while first 5 or so, had numbers around 30+k. I could ski another hour or maybe 2, but in 2 hours there's not much chances to get extra 15-20k in hour or two (ok in reality, there's no chance to do this, at least not in Nassfeld). On top of that, most of these rides were on same gondola (without any other lift before and after last ride, and it's not possible to ski to this particular lift without going through at least 2 other lifts, and getting back through at least 1 other lift), starting at 8:30 and finishing around 17:00 (normally this particular lift operates from around 8:45 or 8:50 and finish between 16:15 and 16:30). So I had feeling this guy was actually one of lifties who was doing exactly that what you said. Of course I have no proof, so it's just my feeling. But then again, this is something what I really don't care. I don't have anything more if I'm first, 10th or 10.000th on that list Smile Important thing is, that I enjoy on skis, and that's all that matters for me. Numbers were important when I was racing, now when I'm out of racing, numbers are fun, but they really don't matter for me Smile
latest report
pam w, horizon, that's about right
ski holidays
I remember some kind of challenge in ADH, 4 different runs from summit to base, totalling over 8,000M, completed it in time for a late lunch and then asked the question WHY Puzzled

Who cares about numbers, its all about enjoying yourself at whatever level. Well as far as I am concerned it is.
snow report
[quote="Colin B"]alex_heney, That's wrong I'm afraid,
[/quote

As in completely correct.

Quote:

see here.

I'm not bothering to look at the link, it is simply not possible for one route to be 10.5K vertical, since there is no mountain in the world that high.

Quote:

The longest run in Zermatt/Cervinia, top down to Valtournenche, is actually 22km alone.

Which is only twice the length of what you were claiming to be the vertical of a route??
snow conditions
ianbradders wrote:
I have been on my skiline report from saalbach in march. On one day it lists my vertical as 5543m, my lift distance is 15km so am i right in thinking that would put the inclines on average as 3:1?

That would be the average incline of the lifts, yes. But not of the runs. Your downhill distance will almost certainly show as much higher. Lifts tend to go in a straight line, while only a few of the runs do.

As an extremely rough guide, red runs in Austria tend to average out at around 1 in 5 to 1 in 6, blues around 1 in 7 or shallower..

Looking at my day in Saalbach from January, I did 5787 Vert, 18km lift distance, 35km downhill distance.
snow conditions
Kel wrote:

Who cares about numbers, its all about enjoying yourself at whatever level. Well as far as I am concerned it is.

Absolutely, but I do like to look back afterwards and see what I did.
latest report
Don't bother about the quantity but the quality - had a "mega" day in La Grave last week - and does not get much better than that, though yes if you get the timings right and able to hitch a lift back up you can do three of the big top of the glacier to the bottom runs = circa 7,500 and maybe with a watrm up Vallon run etc could do 10k - but like I said quality better than quantity!
http://youtube.com/v/nC2-_7eafyI & http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/serrechevalierfourthweek.html
latest report
Kel wrote:
Who cares about numbers, its all about enjoying yourself at whatever level.

So shut up and contribute to a different thread instead of sounding smugly superior. I've never skied a run to increase my vertical, but I certainly select lifts in a way that makes the most efficient use of my skiing time.

But I bet some people do set themselves targets for daily vertical. And what's wrong with that? I sense that life's tapestry is rich enough to embrace people who have aims that extend beyond unadulterated hedonism.
ski holidays
alex_heney, If you'd bothered to look at the map you'd have seen that it isn't one run, no-one claimed it is. The "route" is called the ski safari but is made up of many separate runs.
snow report
alex_heney
Quote:

Looking at my day in Saalbach from January, I did 5787 Vert, 18km lift distance, 35km downhill distance

Very similar figures to mine. 5543 vert, 15km lifts and 35km down. Cant remember exactly but i think that was the day we went from Saalbach right around the top of the valley "above" Hinterglemm and back, ending at the Schattsberg express. Was yours the same route with different lifts maybe. Or possibly the other way around? This was done with a beginner on his fourth day of skiing.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
alex_heney, If you'd bothered to look at the map you'd have seen that it isn't one run, no-one claimed it is. The "route" is called the ski safari but is made up of many separate runs.

I thought you were talking about a"route" (also often called an itinerary) as marked on a piste map, and always a single run.

If you had been a little clearer that you were talking about a set of runs - or a ski safari, or circuit, maybe I wouldn't have misunderstood.
ski holidays
ianbradders wrote:
alex_heney
Quote:

Looking at my day in Saalbach from January, I did 5787 Vert, 18km lift distance, 35km downhill distance

Very similar figures to mine. 5543 vert, 15km lifts and 35km down. Cant remember exactly but i think that was the day we went from Saalbach right around the top of the valley "above" Hinterglemm and back, ending at the Schattsberg express. Was yours the same route with different lifts maybe. Or possibly the other way around? This was done with a beginner on his fourth day of skiing.

No, we started from Leogang, and skied over to Saalbach and back, including going partway back up and down again while one of our party took a short break.
latest report
alex_heney, No worries, it was actually a previous poster called it a route, I was just the one being a PITA about it Smile
snow report
If you want a challenge on vertical drop the first route in Ansleme Baud's Mt Blanc and the Aiguille Rouges: A Guide for Skiers* is the Grand Couloir Ouest on Mt Blanc's Dome du Gouter which has been skied to Le Fayet (560 m) a total drop of 4267 m! While there are routes that surpass this (some by a distance) it's something to be getting on with.

* A great read whatever your aspirations, it covers decents from the Valle Blanche to the West face of Mt Blanc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to my Holux, our biggest day last week in Mayrhofen recorded 4730m vertical. This was in covering a total distance (including lifts) of 48.2km in 3hrs44 moving time. It was a very nice day.

snowHead
ski holidays
The "biggest" day has been finding lots of new places to jump over in Murren on my GS ski's... 16KM.
My more average days are between 6 and 10K with 12 the normal maximum.

It depends bigtime on lifts and slopes used. Also quite sure is vertical is largely unrelated to fun. My better days are usually on the lower side of my averages, because they involve runs and conditions you ski less fast in (Freshies, moguls... etc etc)
latest report
Chris Bish, Never having heard of Holux I mis-read that slightly and wondered how on earth you measured vertical with.... Embarassed
snow report
Colin B, http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=341

Nice toy Wink Can log days and Days with the right settings Wink
ski holidays
Colin B, You know I talk nothing but.....

Great little toy for £50 but no longer available I believe. It attracted the admiration of a guy we met in a mountain restaurant who had one of these super-duper "does everything badly" Banana things (or some fruit or other) who tried to emulate my lunchtime report and complained he could not get a GPS signal. Bev then phoned her Mum on a Nokia 3210 and he couldn't get a phone signal either. I also took pictures with a camera.

I know some will say it is nerdish, but sitting in my armchair with the season over, I can re-run our tracks on screen and recall the fun. Just as you would with photos.

Mine did the week on one charge, which was no more than a top-up, by the way. Holux that is...

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish,

Quote:
You know I talk nothing but.....

Nothing could be further from the truth!

I've a watch with altimeter, etc which I used. I also took my Garmin Edge bike GPS but didn't use it in the end as I wouldn't have got a signal with it in my bag. I would need to strap it to my arm or something I think. It mounts on the handlebars on my bike.
ski holidays
Colin B, I also use the Holux on my bike and Bev uses it to track her rides on the dobbins. I just start the thing up and put it in my pocket. No problems at all. It uploads to the computer and records all trips. You can see your track on Google Earth.

My main interest in using it on skis was to see how fast we actually went. The highest speed on skis is 79kph from Pila in February. Fastest last week was 67. Most days it gives more or less the same top speed, so I think it is accurate. I believe the software eliminates unlikely readings and smoothes out the results. Even people that scorned it (no names) have shown an interest in the output. Average speed is a rather embarrassing 7kph, but that might include lunch stops, which are, of course, lengthy.

snowHead
snow report
Just had a look at the skiline data from the lift pass from Mayrhofen. It records our biggest day as 5326 vertical metres in a total distance of 40km. I'm not sure if that includes the lift down!

Forgotten what we are trying to prove now....

Ah yes. This proves I have just waxed the skis and put them away for the year and can't quite get over it!

snowHead
ski holidays
Interesting thread but I can't help thinking (if you fast guys will permit me) isn't the DISTANCE skied of more significance? So someone cruising blues (for the hell of it or because they just want to) will cover more distance for a given vertical drop than those doing reds and blacks. Or is that not "ski-ing"? Regards.
latest report
I took my Garmin Forerunner with me and just kept it running in my pocket while skiing last week (I reckon you'd get a signal in your bag Colin B) , and only stopping it for lunch. We did somewhere between 4.5-7k vertical metres each day. On the day we did 7k vertical metres, we skied or went on the lift for 42 miles (not sure how much of this 42 miles was lft v skiing). This was me, the OH and 8yo boy sking in the mornings/lunch - and me in intermediate lessons for the afternoon.

We don't ski too hard, take it steady, but also don't dawdle and keep moving a lot of the time (I like to get VFM from my lift pass Laughing ). I like looking at the numbers, and looking at where we've been on a map after I've skied but don't really bother that much while out.
snow conditions
billb wrote:
So someone cruising blues (for the hell of it or because they just want to) will cover more distance for a given vertical drop than those doing reds and blacks.

If you go just one run, they sure, normally easier tracks are longer. But in reality, you are down faster on steeper course, which gives you more runs, so on the end, you have longer distance too. It's pretty simple. You can count yourself where you make more kilometers in 5 hours, when you ski 30km/h or when you ski 80km/h.
latest report
primoz, I take your point. I suppose I was thinking that a less competent skier might not be quicker on reds/ blacks depending on conditions of course.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy