Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many vertical metres in a day is a lot?

Poster: A snowHead
Just returning from L2A and played with the Altimeter on my watch quite a bit. Best day was 6000 vertical metres on a really good weather day, skiing 9.30 to 17.00, party of 6, 4 very good teenagers and 2 fathers (45 -51). Not sure of the exact figure but at half term at Laax, just my daughter and me we did about 6600 metres one day I think. Is this a lot or are we mediocre?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, World record is around 64,000 vertical metres in a day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Patch,

Where was that done?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch, Shocked but I'm comparing us against similar plodders.Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Back when i was a skibum in cham a big day would be 3 laps off of the aiguille du midi to town, this is about 8.5k. However in saying that it wouldn't be unusual to do 8-10+ laps off of the Bochard in a morning which is a smidgeon short of 800m vert.

So with that in mind i'd say anything over 6k is pretty reasonable, over 8k now you're covering some ground, over 10k & you ain't stopping for anyone or anything.

World records are a bit of a joke. I knew a guy who had one for vert in the 90's. He did it on the grands montets. Lifts were held especially for him every run. I imagine if you were fit enough, had that advantage & just didn't stop even an above average skier could probably do in excess of 30k in a day in the right conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, At one time, the record was set in Argentiere, but has probably been passed since then

Colin_B Looking at about a dozen logs (from a Suunto) from a couple of seasons ago, my average looked to be around 6-7k, with a max of 9.5k. That was probably "family" skiing, but perhaps more than a typical average as we ski 50-60 days a season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frank4short, Thanks I'll take reasonable wink We did travel around the mountain a fair bit, covering the whole range off runs, mainly pisted but some not, so I guess if we'd have stuck to top to bottom laps taking the easy routes we could have done a fair bit more.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Patch, Thanks, reinforces above.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a fat middle age bloke and ski on the slow lifts in Scotland... normal for me is 1000m per hour. If i'm only there for a few hours this may rise to 1500m per hour...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm a fat middle age bloke

Me too, and I can give you 15 years and I had never skied until 46 wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If really hung over 1-2m is a lot from where ever you woke up from...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the Kitzbuheler alps this year, according to Skiline.cc, the five days it recognises (there are no entries for the day I spent in Steinplatte) were all between 4750 and 5852, although the Kitzbuhel day missed a few lifts that don't have readers.

The previous year, staying in Ellmau, varied between 4704 and 6513.

I don't ski particularly fast or hard, but even so, I think your figures are pretty decent.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would say anything over 12k is a lot. l'Alpe d'Huez have some kind of "Everest" route where you ski 8900m in a day. You can easily do over 10k in a resort with good lifts like Alpe d'Huez though.

With my 5 year old 2k is a big day but he lacks focus.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seven million.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My max in a day was 10k. Mostly trees powder and bumps. Knackered at the end.
snow report
Doing the complete "Ski Circus" circuit Leogang-Saalbach-Hinterglemm is around 10K vertical metres (according to skiline.cc). But you have to keep moving reasonably fast to manage it. Mind you, skiline has a ranking (under competitions) and my efforts come nowhere near the top 100 - top result for Saalbach-Hinterglemm is 43281 metres! I doubt I could manage that skiing night and day. There are almost 100 results of 20000 metres or more in a day.

Just how anyone manages such incredible figures isn't clear to me. Looking at the skiline chart for Saalbach, it seems that it takes about ten minutes to go up the Schattberg X-press gondola, with around 1000 vertical metres. If you assume it takes five minutes to ski down (I would take a good deal longer), then you could do the run four times in an hour. With an eight hour ski day, that is still only 32000 metres. However, maybe you could build up the vertical metres on an easier run with a fast lift.

I find around 6K a good comfortable day's skiing, with time for stops, etc., and skiing from about ten till four.
snow conditions
I'm boring enough to record my skiing into a spreadsheet each day so I can give a pretty precise answer. This year in Jackson Hole I averaged 9,137 vertical meters with the biggest day being 10,429m; last year in Zermatt the equivalent figures were 7,198 and 9,329. That was skiing as a family group of five (I'd cover much more vertical if I were skiing solo), and, like stoatsbrother, we spend most of our time on bumps, powder, steeps and trees. I figure that if you're paying a fortune for a skiing holiday, you might as well make the most of it. I guess it's also no surprise that the kids sleep well when we go skiing.

I'm baffled by some of the bigger vertical claims. The Jackson tram is pretty fast but, if you ski like a maniac and there's no queue, it's possible to beat it down the mountain and catch the same cab back up - a maximum of 26,492m in a day. I guess that the claims of 40km+ rely on fast lifts, long operating hours and a huge tolerance for boredom.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, There has been a 50k endurance race run at one of my local ski areas and it takes about 16 hours. This is using a modern detatchable lift with no waiting in line. So I also find it hard to believe some of the bigger claims.
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Seven million.

Glad someone said it!

Am I understanding vertical meters right in that they're literally just how far you've descended in meters? So lapping a fast chair that serves a steep pitch will rack them up most efficiently?
snow report
So how do people work it out. ph has a blackberry app that gives distance, but that's obviously different.
snow conditions
DaveC, Yes. Shimmy Alcott, You can get watches with altitued functions but if you know the vertical of a specific lift you just count the laps. Most I can claim was about 10,000 and that was a big day with one short break, no lift lines and easy fast snow. I was also young and fit at the time. Unlike now Confused
snow report
Sarge McSarge, Hopefully now you are less young you dont bother to count the verticle meters as it eats in to skiing and Apres (or lunch and beer) time Laughing
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, Correct. It is now all about quality and good times. Very Happy Less young is such a polite way of putting it. Remember that age and deceit will beat youth and skill every time.
I hope this is keeping your mind off the itch.
ski holidays
I have taking the dressing off - which I shouldn't as there is still a bit of an open wound, but it is feeling much better now! Thanks Very Happy I am playing 4 games of scrabble at the same time - they are very slow and I am winning all of them Laughing
ski holidays
It must be quite late/early for you to be up at this time. It is 3.50pm here in NZ so I guess it is early in the am for you. Any sign of dawn yet?
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, Still dark. 4.56am now, so you are 11 hours ahead.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Nearly time for your breakfast Very Happy I hope you have something healthy like the bacon and eggs. Well I must go, time to finish work and head home. Look after the wound, the itch is actually a very good sign.
snow report
Sarge McSarge, A sign of healing I believe. The birds have just started singing here. Have a good evening. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.skiline.cc is a great website for checking your ski data throughout most parts of Austria nd some other countries too.
alex_heney, try searching for the Steinplatte as a seperate resort. Then use the smae ski pass number to register it.

There was a world record breaking vert. thang... more info here:
http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/8334.page

I think the average holiday skier with a group will be between 5,000 - 7,000 depending on lifts really.
ski holidays
Quote:

So how do people work it out

We just added up the lift ascents from the 3V piste maps. Jonny Jones, I hope my DH doesn't see that you have a spreadsheet - it was a compulsory activity at the end of each day last week to tot up the descent.

Would agree on the get a good lift and a long run - a couple of trips up the Cime de Caron or Boismint in VT did us a day of about 7000m and we are by no means hackers or ski at the fastest rate ever.
snow report
The jungfrau pass works it out for you (well the ascents)

It can also show you a nice animation of the lifts moving in the order you took them. Useless but worth watching (once).
snow report
Remember to add a metre for every 3 times you fall down a little hole.
snow conditions
If you ski in the Dolomites it is all recorded for you - you just log into the website with the number of your liftpass and it gives you all the stats (and shows you which lifts you used).

52000m for the week - that was without particularly rushing, although there were only two of us.
ski holidays
two routes to do in a day in zermatt are listed on the piste map at about 10.5 k and 12.5k and they werent to difficult to complete
ski holidays
two routes to do in a day in zermatt are listed on the piste map at about 10.5 k and 12.5k and they werent to difficult to complete
latest report
flangesax wrote:
alex_heney, try searching for the Steinplatte as a seperate resort.

No, the only recording gates for the Steinplatte are down below at the gondola in Waidring. Up on the slopes there is no recording, so the skiline system won't work. However, I enjoy skiline when it is available and I imagine it will spread gradually (they advertise it in Fieberbrunn, for example, and that is another resort which isn't yet equipped to record every lift trip).

I guess you could get the same data anywhere from fishslice's GPS application (see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42481) but I haven't used that yet. I don't know whether it can count up the vertical metres or the distance travelled.
ski holidays
I've done 5 laps of La Grave in a day a few times which is around 10000m, reckon some of the local lads could double that though. It seems harder to do that much here without sticking to pistes although no doubt parlor will tell me I'm wrong and I should be able to do 30 million zillion m NehNeh
latest report
For normal people, I would say anything over 10k is quite a lot. My best this year was few meters less then 17k (based on skiline.cc and pocket gps) on one nice January week day in Nassfeld (whole week (8 ski days) was around 130k, but I was really lucky to have almost completely empty place just for myself, and perfect weather Smile) But normally I quit around 14:00 or 14:30 so this hardly counts as whole day Razz
Otherwise this depends a lot on ski place, and especially on lifts you take. For example in Tarvisio, if you ski World cup course, only one single ride gets you almost 1000height meters (about 20mins for "lap"), so you are up on 10k pretty fast. But personally I ski as long as I have fun, not when some counters tells me I have enough Smile
snow report
Neilski wrote:

Those are not the vertical, but rather the length of the routes.

The days where we have done 6K plus vert have usually been of the order of 30k length.
snow conditions
alex_heney, oooh Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy