Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft Shell vs Hard Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a new jacket for next season now that the sales are upon us.

Whats the craic with these soft shell jackets? Reading the write-ups/blurb on various websites, you would be forgiven for thinking that they are as good as the 'normal' jackets, but it all seems a little counter intuitive.

I hate being cold so wear a few layers which can be taken off easily enough if I am too warm.

Am I as well aiming for something like this http://www.snowandrock.com/columbia-men's-first-descent-jacket/ski-jackets/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/1367 or splashing out a little extra on a soft shell jacket which seem to be less bulky...

Am stuck with colour a little having bought some brown trousers last winter to suit my jacket, but now the jacket is knackered rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a 3 layer goretex norrona soft shell and it's totally wind/waterproof, i just see it as a top skin that lets me wear whatever layers i need.
Also not sure why you cant have different coloured jacket/trousers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
do a search, loads of discussions, main thing is to watch is that there are a myriad of jackets called soft shell, some are 100% waterproof like my Arcyterx one, others only appear to be showerproof....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geeo, More the colour coordination. Not a slave to fashion by any means, but still dont want to look like more of an as*e than normal Laughing would buy a fartbag if that was the case wink

kitenski, cheers, that's what I was worried about. Had a quick flick through last night. Will do a bit more research over lunch
snow report
 brian
brian
imull, imo, if you ski in Scotland there is no substitute for a decent quality 100% wind and waterproof hard shell. Personally, I use a non-insulated one and however many layers of fleece underneath as appropriate for the day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What Brian and kitenski said, if its likely to rain/sleet then a hardshell is better, a soft shell with a pac light as back up is a good combo. I love my soft shell its really comfortable and warm, I can/do wear it 90% of days in the Alps but Scotland is another matter. If the softshell is 100% waterproof then its probably not a softshell!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers.

Read several threads on here and was coming round to the same point of view. I hate being cold, but getting wet really really annoys me, so will be going as Brian and others have said.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I can/do wear it 90% of days in the Alps but Scotland is another matter. If the softshell is 100% waterproof then its probably not a softshell!

It's gore tex 3 layer the norrona site calls it pro shell, maybe mine isn't soft shell, all i know is it's waterproof on the Scottish hills to 28000mm, breathable and windproof.

Quote:

geeo, More the colour coordination. Not a slave to fashion by any means, but still dont want to look like more of an as*e than normal would buy a fartbag if that was the case

Yea of course but i thought brown went with more than brown myself but fashion is a funny thing Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pro shell = hard shell
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am told by she who must be obeyed that brown simply doesnt go with black rolling eyes Quite fancy lime green jacket, but they seem to be few and far between

Apparently, "I dont give a s**t, I cant see it" is not the right attitude. Sometimes it's easier to just roll with it and get my own way later on something else Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
imull, arcyterx told me their soft shell was as waterproof as their hard shell, hence I bought it, based on it being less of a crisp packet than the hard shell Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WE looked into the waterproofness as OH was thinking of getting a soft shell. Waterproofness is measured and usually quoted. However, once you achieve a certain level of wterproofness, its the seams that really count.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Salomon adrenaline 3 in 1 softshell is 10m waterproof and much more breathable than my goretex shell and has a zip in liner for cold days. The material for the jacket and salopettes actually stretches, doesnt rustle and has survived snow caves and sluchy snow without me getting wet or cold

Not going back to Goretex again
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy