Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Favourite time of year to go skiing/boarding?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off skiing & boarding next week and I've realised as I get older that this has become my favourite time of year in the alps.

When I've been to the alps before at this time of year, it has always been a second or third week and I've viewed it as an extra trip, possibly slightly inferior to a main trip. But I've now grown to appreciate this time of year in the mountains and I can't wait for next week.

What's your favourite time to go skiing or boarding?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably end of Feb/beginning March time, but does depend where we're headed Smile

I also enjoy christmas away if we can afford it so long as its an additional trip Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For the whole season....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whenever there is snow worth skiing on!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2nd week in april is one of my favourite times in the mountains, and suprisingly good for snow in the last few years snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Used to love the cold of late January, but really enjoyed the warmth in Val T last April. Amazing skiing on cold snow AM and drinking cold beer on a sunny terrace PM. Looking down the valley at spring on it's way up the hill.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssnowman, early season in November (or even in some years October) always feels like a treat, especially driving up through the golden autumn leaves heading for the snow. It's earlier than you should be there so whatever you get tends to feel like a bonus and some years it can be great. And the first taste of some apres in somewhere like the Hohenhaus in Hintertux where it's really kicking off is great fun.

Early December up to Christmas, it's starting to build and real snow is hopefully falling. Maybe some Christmas markets around. Christmas is still to come!

January cold, but the whole season is still ahead of you. Once New Year has gone, slopes are nice and empty. And the racing season gets serious - Kitz and Wengen!

February, dodge half term if you can, but make sure you find somewhere with a telly so you can enjoy the Six Nations with your Apres! Hopefully some big dumps coming through by now.

March means there should be some good snow depths for off piste and the sun is warmer now.

April means long days and sunshine (and the cheeky late season dumps). Suntans, deck chairs and extra beers on the terrace.

May- shut it down with a huge party in Ischgl dancing on tables outside Nicki's Stadl!

Start thinking about New Zealand or Argentina... Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 5-04-10 22:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
January and March in France - April/May in Scotland.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I go January, February and March. January is probably my favourite time as there is no one there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it was just one week it would have to be Feb for me as, on average, you seem to get the best combination of weather and pisted powder. I've got fussier as I've got older and want that squeeky fresh pisted powder under my skis. Easter may give great weather but you usually get freeze/thaw conditions which produces very variable snow conditions. So I regard April as an "extra". However I'm not a 4/5 weeks a year skier - can't afford it, or rather can't justify it in the domestic scheme of things.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's all good. At the moment I am in Utah and it is cold and puking powder. My wife who likes spring skiing is not entirely impressed. Wink

Snow coverage and weather can vary so much that I find it difficult to generalise. As long as there are friends/family and not too many other people.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
January - like having a whole resort just for yourself! Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mid-March for me. I only get one week so it's carefully chosen to be less expensive, less busy, hopefully with decent snow cover and even more hopefully, long sunny days, without more snowfall. I nearly always win on the first two but sometimes the weather can be a bit of a mixed bag. This season in La Thuile was very cold in mid-March, far colder than I'm used to.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Early July, cold, dry snow, clear weather, no ozzies Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
January is my favourite - cold, loads of snow, no people. Second favourite would from be about now, when it's sunny & quiet...

I'd never been out at half term until this year, it made me realise how spoiled I've got. We jacked it in and went ice climbing.
snow report
Another vote for January. It's cold. I wear everything. End of. The problem with spring is that my body thermostat doesn't work well and I'll either get too cold and shivery or too hot and end up feeling sick and faint - especially standing up in crowded gondolas.

I still go in March as well though! snowHead
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, right on! Smile

But if I have to pick a "favorate" of all favorates, it'd be any time between mid-Feb to mid-April.

Or August if to the southern hemisphere! Wink
latest report
March - often the best for powder, yet by the end you get some nice spring snow and t-shirt weather apres.
snow conditions
January......................................
ski holidays
Winter preferably!
ski holidays
Spring - I love skiing spring snow - especially if its nice and hard, but not so hard that it won't take and edge. I'm hoping Thursday will be nice this week for a ski at Cairmgorm.
snow report
Just passed my favourite time for skiing Sad It was fun while it lasted Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy