Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave recently discovered Girose Couloir route plus how to survive 50 foot cliff fall!

Poster: A snowHead
Have had a few momentous days out here in the final week of our 5 week trip, of which it looks like I won't be hitting the hill for the rest of the trip!

Wednesday was skiing with my mate Per a guide in La Grave and we scored a great day skiing fresh powder up the top and down in the trees. Was quite busy in the build up to the Derby, that was on the Friday when a 1,000 people descend all the way, taking the straighest line, on any form of downhill transport!

A mate was coming over from Courcheval for the Thursday to ski La Grave with me and Per. As we drove from Serre over the Col Du Lautaret conditions were quite gnarly but being optimists we could also see the positive side with faint signs of blue sky appearing.

First lift up was not as busy as we thought it was going to be, though by the time we arrived at the lower station after a superb powder descent to P1 it was really busy so we carried on and skied to the bottom. Coming back up in the lift with a few other locals I understood some of the conversation with Robin another guide telling Per how Les Freaux was in good condition, so that sort of gave me a clue as to where we might be heading and once at P3 we went down Chancel and then over one of Per's favourite routes above & behind the Refuge, again superb untracked.

Then as I suspected we dropped down towards the entry to Les Freaux - this is a very long couloir ending up in the small hamlet of Les Freaux a mile below La Grave. Snow was superb in it though the run out was gnarly as ever over heavy large avalanche debris from the wet snow slides of a couple of weeks ago covered with about 15cm of heavy wet powder.

Then we had to hitch a lift back, but being lunch time the road was empty. Eventually Per got a lift and then came back to get us. So a quick sandwich and we were back up. By the time we arrived at P3 (the top) the glacier was open. We then route marched quickly along to the main drag, as the old drag on the left no longer exists, so 15 minutes later we were going up the drag to the top of the glacier.

Once at the top we put harnesses on and then proceeded to rip the powder up. Few other tracks but on the whole untracked especially as where we were going, or so I thought, you could only get down by abseiling at a couple of points, so very few take the route.

As we descended some more into the rocks I commented that we were not taking the usual route(s) having done them a couple of times previously over the years. Per sort of shrugged and carried on, though very very aware it seemed of what was around us. As we went down further into a very narrow entrance and I stopped to take a photo he said no time for pics and that we had to get going because of the severity of the terrain, it was only then that he said he had never done this descent!!

This from a guide who has been in La Grave nigh on 15 years, obviously I then thought that this descent was extremley avalanche prone and hence the reason for a) not taking photos / stopping etc and b) would explain why Per had never done it!

Further down in the couloir we were able to stop in a safe palce and take a rest - Per then explained that this route had only been discovered by a guide climbing up the South side opposite and working a route out! Did think this somewhat incredulous, but as we found out later very true!

Runout was not too bad though crossing the river at the end was difficult, especially with no vibram on the soles, and with me nearly going in my mate decided on crossing in bare feet. Once on the other side, came across a couple of La Grave locals I've known for 12 years (Kami & Christina) and today too was their first decent!

So we felt quite honoured to be able, as it were sharing in the first few runs of this new route.

Anyway video of the day now up at
http://youtube.com/v/nC2-_7eafyI

Total descent was from top of drag on the glacier 3550 to the river at 1250 - not too bad!

Then the next day, (without a guide!), we were in Serre doing Montagnolle, a route I've done many a time, I was taking a high traverse round to get to some bowls I knew, I was following another track and as the snow was very deep was taking it at speed, as I turned a blind corner, I did not have time to stop and with my momentum went over the edge - it seemed to all be in slow motion and I thought I was dead.........

More words and pics on how I am at http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/serrechevalierfifthweek.html and Yes I know I was a "Cock" - but been doing this poo-poo a long time!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch! Glad to hear you came out of it in more or less one piece!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sounds very scary. Glad you survived the drop.
Quote:

heavy wet powder

How can powder be heavy and wet? Doesn't that just make it "heavy snow"?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very glad you made it!
Have you been to see a dr?, would probably be a good idea to have your injuries properly checked out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Glad you survived the unexpected drop... Looks chunky.
Can imagine how you might be feeling just now.
If you haven't then get an MRI scan for the ligaments and hamstring!

Sounds like the 'new' La Grave line was the Giriose Centre ?
Funnily enough one of my mates Bobby was one of the first people to ski it last March.
You can read it about it here (skiers lodge blog - march 22nd).
Its a line that I would love to ski - top stuff!

http://blog.news.skierslodge.com/?m=200903

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 5-04-10 9:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aka "deep throat"?

glad your'e not too badly hurt after that drop
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis Trap - yes was Girose Central - was quite a day doing Les Freaux and then that one - have done Orsierre and the two Girose where you have to rappel, plus Les Freaux back in the days when I snowboarded - so good to do on skis. I've known Pele from the old original Skiers Lodge in Ventelon above La Grave for quite a few years, in fact Kami was the cook some twelve years ago - the skierslodge blog is a good link!

Body recovering well each day, might well be able to get back on skis tomorrow Tuesday and ski with my daughter at a more sedate pace on the piste. Finally got round to telling my mate Per (guide in La Grave) what a "cock" I'd been last night, he was quite philosophical about it all!

Don't want to get into the pedantics / definitions of snow pack but powder is not just light and fluffy - through any one descent it can change dramatically - especially at this time of year!

And as for a MRI scan, didn't bring my one with me Little Angel Serioulsy there's about three or four other parts of my body that need that anyway - that's what doing silly sports etc still at my age does for your body!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
> there was no way I wanted to be helied out of there due to insurance issues as we were way way off piste and sans guide

You wouldn't have paid a penny. The CRS would have come from Briancon and picked you up and probably dropped you at Briancon hospital for a check up.

You were not "way off piste" if you were skiing la Grave. There is no piste so you cannot by definition be "off piste".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, he was skiing the Montagnole in Monetier not at La Grave. Not sure if that makes a difference.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, Good grief Shocked Shocked Glad you're in (almost) one piece. Great blog, enjoyed reading it. Although, have to say, as much fun as it was to read... a little less drama next time eh? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, Hope you are beginning to feel better. Has it put you off this off piste lark?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks HB always amusing how people never fully read / digest the detail before putting fingers to keyboard, though have to admit to being guilty of that as well!

Just back from a pleasant hike up the South side above La Salle - have the Brighton Marathon in under a couple of weeks time and I'm now optimistic that I might be able to hobble around, though not in the time I was hoping / been training for, though being out here has not exactly helped towards that goal anyway so least I have an excuse now!

But think was a tad optimistic about hoping to be back on skis by Wednesday, which is our last day out here - as we have to get back a couple of days earlier than originally planned.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam, seems like early departures are catching, we had to go back early too. Should be arriving home at around 7pm this evening, but we've been back in the UK since Friday, although we stopped off to see our youngest in Reading.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You lucky basket ! Poo poo happens.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
davidof, he was skiing the Montagnole in Monetier not at La Grave. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Depends where it is exactly but if it is within the Serre Ch. domain then it will be the piste services that organize the rescue even if they call the PGHM in Briancon it will be billable.

I'm not clear why someone is skiing around off piste without being sure if they are properly insured or not? Given the possible S&R costs in ski areas you can be facing a huge bill. Or rather I am clear, UK policies have these get out clauses so without checking the small print after an accident you can be unsure if you are insured.
ski holidays
Looks like good skiing. Glad you survived (A good story for the future)
latest report
davidof as I think you know I've been skiing off piste for yonks, so I'm not some green numpty, though have to agree my antics in Montagnolle would put me in that category!

For quite a few years my wife and I have taken out an annual DogTag all singing all dancing Extreme Sports Insurance with Winter Sports & other bells and whistles - as I just don't ski/snowboard - quite frankly as you allude to above, and I've just been reading it again (see below) I think they would attempt to use "may invalidate your cover" where ever possible in a claim - especially being stupid in going over a cliff - hence my distrust etc

Plus I do go alone, be it off piste or ski touring etc so I know then I'm invalidtaing the insurance but I take a calculated gamble etc!

I also strongly believe in that you only call the rescue services when all other attempts to self rescue have been attempted or are deemed impractical. I get involved in quite a few rescue incidents with wind/kite surfers some who will call the coastguard with out even trying to self rescue - it's almost taken as a given that one must attempt self rescue if possible - and I think the way we got off the mountain is a good example of that!

Might be worth contcating DogTag and making them aware of this "incident" to get their POV

Late Edit Anyway will be contacting DogTag to see if I can claim for the lost ski - so will let you know how I get on - the words head, knocking & brick wall spring to mind - and probably not helped by this post Sad

Do you cover Off Piste Skiing and what is the definition of Off Piste?
The generally accepted understanding of off-piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding means 'going out of bounds', i.e. outside the resort boundary (if there is a boundary) or simply off the marked pistes if within the resort area. If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the resort, we recommend you do so with a fully qualified local guide because, in our view, you will be taken to the best areas and you'll have a higher degree of comfort concerning your safety. However, we do not insist that you take a guide, you are insured for off-piste without a guide provided that you are not going alone or going against advice. And remember, even some areas within a resort may be considered out of bounds because they are hazardous. In most parts of North America, going out of bounds contravenes local law and you may, at best have your lift pass confiscated or worse, face arrest and have an overnight stay courtesy of the Sherriff's office. Normally there is a physical fence with warning signs so you shouldn't be in any doubt.

It is your responsibility to ensure that on any particular day you are aware of and obey local advice, information and instructions given by the resort authorities and that you obey any signs and information you encounter on the mountain - the source of this information will vary resort to resort and country to country and it is your responsibility to find out. If a section is marked 'closed' there will be a very good reason for it (e.g. high avalanche danger) and ignoring such signs or advice may invalidate your cover. You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover. Sad Sad
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover. Sad Sad

Yup, I think you can safely assume your little adventure would come under that one... Laughing
snow conditions
I hurt my back some years ago skiing down the back of La Grave to St Christoph. I managed to ski slowly down, in some pain, and took a long taxi ride back to La Grave, on the basis that I shouldn't claim for more rescue than I absolutely needed.
My insurance would not pay for my taxi because it was not a rescue off the hill - despite the fact I had already saved them money. It would have paid for a helicopter rescue. Doh!!!!
snow report
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover. Sad Sad

Yup, I think you can safely assume your little adventure would come under that one... Laughing

I don't think it would (apologies if you were just joking)
snow conditions
Bad luck on the cliff drop, but that descent to Les Freaux looked fantastic. We did it on Sat pm, and thought the conditions pretty good, but your conditions look even better. Unfortunately we didn't have any time to do any of the couloirs from the Girose this time (La Vaute was a possibility for a while, but there was probably also too much snow on Saturday for it to be safe), so I'm very envious of that Girose Central descent - maybe another year. We also did a couple of runs down Montagnole that Friday too, getting some nice first-tracks on the first run, but fortunately managed to avoid any major cliffs. I was staggered at how empty the place was that day though, about the only place there was really anybody else at all was on the hike up to La Cucumelle.
latest report
Weathercam, Excellent reading. I now feel completely sensible having merely slashed my shoulder open doing acrobatics on to a wine glass. Sorry about the ski - hope you are well soon.
ski holidays
Quote:

going against advice.

I'll be interested to see what dogtag have to say - when I asked (just on the phone, and hypothetically) the girl said that if there was any level of avalanche warning then skiing off piste would be regarded as going "against advice" and would therefore not be covered.

davidof would that rescue (if weathercam had needed rescuing) have been covered by carte/carré neige?
latest report
pam w wrote:
the girl said that if there was any level of avalanche warning then skiing off piste would be regarded as going "against advice"
Well she clearly didn't have a clue about skiing. As I'm sure most people on snowHead know, there is always an avalanche warning level, even if it is only 1 or 2.
snow report
Quote:

Well she clearly didn't have a clue about skiing.

Yes, well, I did realise that! She didn't pretend to have a clue about skiing. I never managed to find anyone at Dogtag who had any clue about skiing, in several phone calls. They were very pleasant and helpful, but just kept repeating stuff which really only applied to N America, read from the "terms and conditions". They promised to consult underwriters and get back to me with some more Europe-focussed guidance, but never did.
ski holidays
pam w, but surely that should only be relevant if the injured person had been caught in an avalanche, but who knows with insurers. Despite their excellent medical support team in France, we went round in circles trying to claim for all of us having to cut short our holiday when Jules was injured. N We argued successfully in the end, but not without a lot of tracing of phone calls in the data bank.
snow report
Mmmmm don't know what happened to an earlier post - anyway back on skis today at Puy - called in at the Gendarmerie in Briancon to report lost skis and will do the Piste Security tomorrow - so I can tell DogTag, plus you never know a summer walker might come across the lost ski!

Was speaking to a mate who said the BMC* insurance is really good at cover and not so vague.

Leg not too bad though snow was very soft even up top with the warm temps and not so good being on my touring combo and even the slightest bump was painful, at least got to ski with my daughter - and talk of first lifts tomorrow.

British Mountaineering Council
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam, I'll probably be over there in the summer, perhaps we might even come across it.
snow report
Awesome thread, I missed it the first time. Congrats on being alive, I hate it when you know something bad is about to happen.

No more hucking to flat huh? Wink

Unreal that you got your ski back in the end. Brilliant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy