Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

resistance training

Poster: A snowHead
The 'personal training' I've been doing for the past 3 weeks has been resistance training. My remit was to be stronger, more flexible, stronger through the core. It has been amazing. The new exercises that I've done (for me anyway) that have almost immediately made a difference. Every exercise is a movement. My personal trainer is of the opinion that all the gym machines, where you sit down are bad for your back. Plus when you do a resistance & movement exercise your cardiovascular system improves also. I did 40 press ups the other day - albeit 'girly' press ups on my knees. To do good press ups you need strong core muscles. I've lost about 4lb in weight without altering my diet and it's been a whole lot more fun than doing 30mins on the cross trainer. I think I'm going to be a better skier for it so roll on next winter.
Has anyone else thought / being doing similar ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More info please so we can all try Very Happy
I recently gave up gym so looking for exercises I can do at home or in the park.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was planning on blowing up railway tracks as German convoys rattled past and assasinating Third Reich leaders in open topped staff cars after seeing the thread title. So should I dismantle the sten gun I built in the shed this morning? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is it that the writer Bill Bryson writes about his Dad doing... something popular in the 50's involving putting pressure on walls and things... I must look it up... I've got some walls.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa wrote:
I was planning on blowing up railway tracks as German convoys rattled past and assasinating Third Reich leaders in open topped staff cars after seeing the thread title. So should I dismantle the sten gun I built in the shed this morning? Laughing

With one bound he was free! Very Happy lol!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Resistance is useless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004 wrote:
Has anyone else thought / being doing similar ?

Yep ... over the past year nearly all my training has been been based around core-stability / resistance training - and like you, I'm pretty sure it's benifted not only my skiing, but also the other sports I get involved in (mountain biking, squash and a bit of windsurfing).

Lots of work using 'bosu balls' and balance-balls and lots of (what the pros like to call) functional exersises ... which at first can be tricky/frustrating, but it gets easier. And like you, I personally find it a lot more interesting than sitting at a weight machine / stationary bike / etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

What is it that the writer Bill Bryson writes about his Dad doing... something popular in the 50's involving putting pressure on walls and things... I must look it up... I've got some walls.

Isometric exercises, hence the (slightly later) popularity of the bullworker (promoted by Charles Atlas).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax wrote:
What is it that the writer Bill Bryson writes about his Dad doing... something popular in the 50's involving putting pressure on walls .

Did he boycott pork pies?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

flangesax wrote:
What is it that the writer Bill Bryson writes about his Dad doing... something popular in the 50's involving putting pressure on walls .

Did he boycott pork pies?

Takes a while to work that out Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abj, Ah - I was giving up on this thread. No serious discussions around anymore and you saved the day. My trainer calls it 'functional training' so it must be similar. He reckons I'll be able to do press ups from a wobbly ball eventually....good party trick eh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It obviously works for Lindsey Vonn:

http://youtube.com/v/BS1Z45JVnJw

http://youtube.com/v/tnGorzSm5Rk
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, what is resistance/functional training. I do a fair bit of weight work and CV but not at the same time.

I also do pressups with my feet on a ball while balancing on one of those half ball things.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can be trained to resist things? Shocked

Does it work with chocolate, ciggies, alcohol, expensive clothes, unsuitable blokes etc? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, I'm a huge fan of resistance training - and as you say, free weights do the job so much better - your muscles are working harder just from a balance pov. Push-ups are amazing things - I have never had the upper-body strength I have now until I started on them.

maggi, bizarrely it makes you feel "brilliant" and you eschew all the aforementioned! Puzzled
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I think it's a new buzz word but basically every exercise is a movement with or without weights. I guess nothing new but it gets away from sitting at gym machines and working isolated muscles. I do circuits of 3 exercises x 3 sets (at the moments). One of the sets I do is a dead weight lift then step ups then pull ups holding handles-straps attached to a bar on the wall. Another set would be press ups, one legged hip lifts and squats with weights. All of the exercises require a stable, and build, a strong core, along with other muscle groups. We do balance exercises too. As Alexandra, says it does make you feel 'better'. Good press ups require strong core strength.
snow report
p.s. and it gives you a cardio work out at the same time.
snow report
I'd guess that the 'functional' comes from mimicking the activities or functions you want to improve. Good to hear that it is motivating you erica2004, - have been introducing myself to running over the last year, and did my first ever interval work today - a florid increased shuffle between lamposts, but at least a start [thank the lord for heavy traffic]. Have also found that about 6 weeks of spin classes made last week's ski trip a breeze.

If you don't make time for exercise, you'll have to make time for the illness...as the saying goes.
ski holidays
erica2004, so it's like a circuit training class then???
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy