Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tele turns in powder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear Telemarking snowheads,

off to leas Arcs Saturday for a week with family.

Usually take alpine and tele skis. Tele when with family- social reasons, alpine with mates. Weight a problem and anyway alpine bindings have lost some screws- in for repairs.

Lots of new snow on and off piste in les Arcs. Only taking tele skis. Have improved on tele gear quite a bit at Christmas- fast, good turn on piste on Chamonix blues and average speed on red bashed runs in Cham. On alpine skis quite ok off piste. Never felt brave enough off piste on tele gear.

It is now- 'Tele or Die'.

Any tips?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hit it hard, let your weight sit back alittle and smile..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Enjoy - i'm not the best to give advice on teleturns offpiste. If it nice powder no probs, but if it starts getting dodgy - crusty, cut up, or heavy I tend to revert to parallel turns.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ed123, As thebrownslug, says your weight will end up a little further back or more weighted on the rear ski and point them down the mtn, and enjoy the fresh snow in your face.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Start at the top. Expect lots of snow in every part of your body for the first 1000m (vertical), link fluid turns towards the bottom of your 2000th.

You'll love it, it's WHY people telemark, you feel like you are riding a porpoise. Not sure why people are saying weight back. Personally I would recommend exaggerating EVERYTHING, get lower, bounce higher, c-bend more... yum yum yum.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thebrownslug, Dave Horsley, pinhead, parlor,

thanks for the tips.

I had a horrible feeling that the advice would be along the lines of 'ski as straight down the fall line as you dare and expect to fall over- a lot'. I also have a horrible feeling that that is what you've said.

I have just changed over my tele bindings- previously on some for me longish movement freeheels - not exactly an ideal first tele ski and frankly I found them scary, fast not very turny. Now the bindings are on some 166 salomon foils- which i used to ski on alpine bindings. Alpine they were extra easy skis off piste bit a bit flappy on - at Xmas I found them very forgiving on piste tele- I also found that I could 'walk' down transferring weight front foot- weighted- becomes backfoot- weighted as other foot swings forward- this felt quite easy and good- but is this a reasonable technique and will it work off piste- it ends up with the back foot having a fair bit of weight on it- not at all squirrelly.

If any snowheads find me in a heap on or off piste in les Arcs this week please stop and help me up.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Imagine on your lead leg pulling your toes into the roof of the ski boot. Link shallow fluid turns down the fall line. Try and make everthing as smooth as possible. Pulling the toes up a bit helps to stop the lead ski nose diving and the obvious consequences! You will love it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski 183cm Movement Climax which are similar to the freeheel - I find them great, absolutely love them. They superseeded a pair of Fisher Tstix Stingray which suppersceded a pair of Fischer Boundless nordic skis. All still get and outing now and again as my skins only fit the Fischer skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well things went OK. Sunday saw about 30cm of fresh snow. I was skiing with friends but managed to make a few fresh tracks and no falls. Ski tips stayed up- the skis were very forgiving. A bit of speed and keeping to the fall line worked well. I had no tip dive which was a surprise.

Tele'd all week- half days mostly due to young child. But my legs were in agony the night of the second days skiing- cramps and pain.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed123 wrote:

Tele'd all week- half days mostly due to young child. But my legs were in agony the night of the second days skiing- cramps and pain.

Ah now that's tele skiing although it is usually just after the 1st day or two, after that the legs work and you wont need the handicapped stall to use the plumbing. Good to hear the snow and skiing were good, and it only gets easier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pinhead, yep- things got better at the end of the week and despite my best efforts with cheese, beer and red wine I lost about 4 pounds in the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy