Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's all about balance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, would that cover you if someone sued you for their child being injured when in your lesson?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar,
Quote:

I'm sure I overheard someone at the back mutter "child killer.
Laughing Laughing
Quote:

I use the boots undone drill as and when. Almost always with good skiers, and always warn them that they will lose a lot of the control they normally have. I always ask them to ski at a slower speed.
I would like to address the use of the words 'always' and 'almost always', m'lud. wink
Quote:

So what about skiing with eyes closed? One for the lawyers...?
You asking me? No thanks, is the answer! Laughing Seriously, though, the principle of 'volenti non fit injuria' might come into play here - to one who is willing, no harm is done: I would be 'volenti' if I were foolish enough to agree to this suicidal suggestion!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, under normal circumstances (assuming no professional negligence) yes it would. In the first instance it would be whatever ski school I was working for, but then my personal liability cover would be a fallback position.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,
Quote:

assuming no professional negligence

it is precisely negligence insurance which enables solicitors to sleep at night! (Managed not to have to claim, in 17 years, for work which I did personally, or work which was done under my supervision. I kept waiting for a skeleton to fall out of the cupboard after I retired, luckily it didn't. Some of the figures involved were eye-watering, though none of this is as worrying as when it involves injury or death, of course.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy wrote:
DaveC,
Quote:
I know a couple of people that had legal stuff thrown at them after picking up a kid with an injury.

Why was that ?

Apparently - I'm not sure enough to say as fact - both cases involved kids falling and either complaining or not being able to get up, instructor tries to either pick them up or help them get up, injury is (potentially) aggravated. That doesn't sound too unreasonable until you see just how often kids fall in lessons...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy wrote:
DaveC,
Quote:
I know a couple of people that had legal stuff thrown at them after picking up a kid with an injury.

Why was that ?

Picked 'em up by their ears and their head fell off, shame but shit happens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
pam w, under normal circumstances (assuming no professional negligence) yes it would. In the first instance it would be whatever ski school I was working for, but then my personal liability cover would be a fallback position.

I think it's the Professional Negligence line that someone wishing to sue would go for on this one. Skiing with boots undone alters the release values of the safety bindings, so the same fall with boots done up would release, with them undone probably wouldn't release. In effect your instructions have caused the injury by not having the skis release.

Would you adjust someone's bindings when they normally ski with them set on 6, crank them up to 10, then tell them to go skiing? of course you wouldn't, but by skiing with the boots undone, you're effectively doing the same thing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, I understand that and will consider the use of the drill more carefully in the future. I still think it has it's place in some circumstances, with appropriate warnings and caveats.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, can't speak for other qualifications, but the BASI insurance will cover members as long as they're working within what BASI says is the remit of their licence for their level of qualification and as rob@rar, said, as a back up to the ski school's insurance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy