Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Collarbone protection?

Poster: A snowHead
Having recently broke my collarbone (6 weeks ago) and with the all clear from the doctor to go skiing in 2 weeks as long as I am cautious. He also said that if I fall on it, it will probaly break. Has anyone used any kind of protection? Been looking at this http://www.4dobbin.com/product-Collarbone-Protection-System-Charles-Owen.html but i think its designed for horse riding and not sure how great it would be anyway. Any ideas?

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think "being cautious" here means skiing defensively, choosing the safest option at all times. I don't think you'll find much that offers real protection.

If you fall onto an outstretched hand that shirt is useless.

You might think about softer poles, tho, for comfort if not for protection.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

if I fall on it, it will probaly break.

Englishpowder, Shocked You're brave! Where are you going? Have you cleared with your insurance company?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, Softer poles? I've never seen poles described as 'softer' before - what do you mean please?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Englishpowder, I have no idea how long the /mending' should take or otherwise. I do have a major problem with what your doc said though .. it's either OK or it's not OK ..... the concept of 'being cautious' is ludicrous.

Over the years I've heard this from a couple of non-sporting quacks for various aches/breaks/sprains/fractured ego. As if they can not bring themselves to say ' Yep.. go for it ..you will die anyway one day'. However if he said "It will re-break if you have any kind of fall on it" then it isn't right and you would be daft to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, Ok, that came out wrong. basically if i fall on it it will break easier than before my injury. I was just looking for some sort of protection to minimize the risk of the injury repeating, even if it hadn't broken there would still be a risk of breaking it, that comes with skiing.
pam w, just going up to scotland for a long weekend. Does anybody know if these will provide protection from an impact? I think i will be staying out of the terrain park anyway....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just found this, http://www.skeletools.com/mountain_bike_chest_protector_impact_vest_p/sk001-s.htm any thoughts?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Englishpowder, I guess that's my point ... if it's 'right' it is no more likely to break than any other part of your body ... if it isn't then no amount of protection will do anything. Cue a doctor ( which I'm obviously not) but ime stringy bits seem get weaker but boney bits seem to be OK once they mend !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats the problem, although ive been given the all clear there's still a higher chance of it breaking as the newer bone is weaker. Im trying to find something that will protect me from impact, in case I go crazy and enter the terrain park....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having broken my collar bone a few years I'd say that it'll be a tricky operation getting back on your feet if you have a fall, even if you don't actually re-break it. Don't underestimate the amount of muscle wastage you'll have suffered from not doing light day-to-day tasks for several weeks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having broken my collar bone I'm not sure how any "protective equipment" could help reduce any further risk on injury.

Twice you refer to staying out of the terrain park. You are either an idiot or a masochist.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As people have said above I don't think there's anything that will stop it re-breaking if you fall hard.

So the choices are don't ski this time. For a start, if your doc has said there's a high chance of it re-breaking I doubt your insurance would cover you for that injury. Which would make it very very expensive if you have to be transported off the mountain.

If you do ski, then just be very careful. If you're not at the level of ability where you know you won't fall if you're taking it easy on easy pistes, then you probably shouldn't risk it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you're not at the level of ability where you know you won't fall if you're taking it easy on easy pistes, then you probably shouldn't risk it.

I am at that level, and am suffering from quite sore rib pain, having been taken out (on quite a quiet piste, actually) by an idiot Frenchman. I was wearing a backpack with a thermos flask (spring skiing= picnic lunches). I just heard a scraping, for a split second before he sent me flying; I never saw him (till afterwards, when he did help me up but seemed to think it was quite funny. Twisted Evil ).

I've skied quite a lot since, but have taken care not to fall over, as getting up again would be difficult. I ski in an area where collisions are very uncommon; I was unlucky. If englishpowder is going to France, it would be well worth buying Carte Neige, which will take him off the mountain no questions asked about prior injury
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:
Having broken my collar bone I'm not sure how any "protective equipment" could help reduce any further risk on injury.

Quoted For Truth.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fold your arms in if you go over............... DON'T put your arms out to break the fall. However it takes a few years of practice. Good luck,
latest report
pam w, good point re carte neige - plus the E111 and your medical costs are sorted. Then you just need to think about getting home.
snow report
And I was soooo tempted to say wear a very large helmet Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Im sure you will be fine just, hope you enjoy your trip but do let your insurance know and pay the extra just in case
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy