Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is "powder"?

Poster: A snowHead
All this nice new white stuff is very welcome but unless our particular neck of the French Alps has done particularly badly in the last 24 hours, I wouldn't describe what has fallen as "powder". It is snow, certainly, but pretty wet - the sort of stuff which makes a lovely snowman.

For example somebody said there was 25cms of "fresh powder" at the top of the Champagny gondola. That's about the same height as our lift I think (2000m) and I certainly wouldn't describe what was up there today as "fresh powder". Maybe Champagny had much colder weather.

So, my question is - is there a kind of freshly fallen snow which should not honestly be described as "powder"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Yes - basically if you can make a snowball with it, its not powder Madeye-Smiley

As you have reported, pretty wet stuff ideal for snowmen Toofy Grin Deffinately isnt powder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I fear the Whistlerites and Fernieites will take exception Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, why? do they have lots of snowmanstuff which they describe as powder?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

pam w, Whistler generally has a maritime climate which means plenty of moisture falls from the sky Smile Unfortunately the snow has quite a high moisture content most of the time and so its able to make snowmen Toofy Grin

Utah is the exact opposite and the snow falls like feathers and the powder when hitting you in the face as you ski feels like nothing, literally Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I've skied powder. It fell when it was very cold, and could be shook through the fingers of the ski gloves and fell like fresh icing sugar does through the fingers. Does that sound like powder?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, we had powder at the top of Cornu this morning 30-35cms. Got heavy through the day though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Does that sound like powder?

Yes. You can't possibly press it into a snowball. I met someone at a wedding in Chicago a few years ago who told me abou the Utah powder. Sounds fantastic. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, we had 4 cm of that type of powder on Zauchensee yesterday, was super- aggressive snow, caught my edges more than once Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Powder in Colorado - Copper Mountain last year was amazing. Fell in as deep as my waist but didn't get wet at all! Champagne powder I believe Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAB, you mean the "wrong sort of powder"? Yes, it is aggressive - need to be careful with the edges and not leave a pole behind.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, my son was SO upset he had the twin tips on(Finally a day off from gate training)and was SO looking forward to it, but you just went nowhere. Very deceptive!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
all the snow that fell on NBT towers back in January was proper powder, it was awful as
1) Mrs NBT couldn't make a snowman
and
2) it reminded us of the Utah powder we skiiied last year, during a season where it looks like we may not get any skiing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My understanding is that it's due to temperature. The new snow we had in La Thuile this year was dry and soft, not at all sticky and the air temperature was -14º at the time. New snow in Kitzbühel in March 2008 was thick, heavy and sticky, more like the snow we get in the UK, air temperature was around -4º.

For skiing purposes the colder stuff is faster and you don't get soaked through if you fall in it.

Just the observations of an interested but scientifically-challenged layperson.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As I understand it, freshly fallen snow is often wet. Being wet it seems thick and sometimes may be likened to porridge. Overnight the temperature drops enough to freeze the moisture in the snow. Next morning you should have powder that is great to ski in. However many other factors also affect the snow and whether it can be regarded as powder. As winter in Dec/Jan turns into spring in Mar/Apr the way the results of the overnight snow transformations changes. My experience is mostly with winter powder in France.
snow conditions
Spiky snowgrains when cold = powder.

Rounded snowgrains when warm = porridge.
latest report
Whitegold, is it only snowflake shape which makes a difference, or does water content play a part?
latest report
I'm a bit puzzled about this water content thing. I thought snow was 100% water.
Sad
snow report
planeurge, In a cubic meter of snow you won't have a cubic meter of water. There will be a lot of air. The more air the lighter the snow.
ski holidays
I suspect that if you think about it you have answered your own question. The only thing influencing the concentration of water in a given volume will be the structure of the ice crystals. There is no other ingredient.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
planeurge, In a cubic meter of snow you won't have a cubic meter of water. There will be a lot of air. The more air the lighter the snow.

Approx 90 -95% air in uncompacted snow Smile useful site
snow conditions
planeurge, size of snowflake might have an effect, not just shape of snowflake?
latest report
planeurge, yes water=H2O, but it comes in (at least) three states: frozen or liquid or gasseous. These states are often distinguished by calling them ice (or snow), water and steam (or vapour). My previous post was intended to convey the notion that freshly fallen snow is mostly frozen water, but includes a portion of liquid or gasseous water.
snow report
There is quite a good graph in this New Scientist article - http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/dn16170-snowflakes/13 - which shows some of these points. My understanding is the temperature the snow is falling at, along with other factors like wind and humidity, will alter the shape and size of the crystals which form. And the shape and size the crystals form will have a direct impact on the density of the snow that falls?
snow conditions
I've obviously used the wrong emoticon. It was meant as a light-hearted remark, not a physics thesis.

FWIW in aviation the assumed SG of dry snow is 0.25 - seemingly an overestimate in the light of the figures given in the link above. But that would be the cautious approach, as the effect being allowed for in the aviation context is impingement drag during take-off...

The starting point of the thread was, I think, its subjective quality as perceived by skiers, rather than its physical structure.
ski holidays
For comparisons sake the specific gravity of something like ESB can be 1.060.
snow conditions
Usually less the 10% water by volume. To get this you need nice shaped flakes that have not been melted or damaged by wind. Snow flakes come in a wide variety of structures and the lightest are the good old star shaped ones properly known as spatial dendrites. Not rods or columns. Smile

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 28-03-10 23:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Forget the science its all about the yee-haa count.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, So true. But if it is more than 10% it is going to be heavy. Of course the boarders will still be ripping it up.
snow report
nozawaonsen, when you click through to the photographs, they are beautiful and astonishing. ESB? Some kind of ale? jbob, Smile
latest report
"I'll take trillions of image 6 on a 3m base for $53 please Alex"
ski holidays
Apparently Hokkaido's snow has a 4% water content compared to Utah's average 6-7% and Whistler's 15-20%.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-03-10 11:52; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I look at it as a spectrum of dryness from blower to goop. Most fresh snow falls the acceptable side of goop but occasionally there will be a very wet storm that is very unpleasant to ski. Dryer does not necessarily mean better - you can drop through 30cm+ of blower and hit rocks underneath and Maritime or Sierra snowpack sticks to higher angle slopes more safely.
snow report
nozawaonsen,

I think it depends on the season and the weather.

Got the same wet snow when I skied Hokaido in mid March a couple of years back. Not much improvement when I was in Colorado mid Feb to early Mar going round 11 skiing facilities.

If the weather is dry you can get it at the top of some glaciers. The last time I hit it was in Zermatt. Have to be reasonably high though.

If you run into a icy patch in a glacier that proves powder was there and and had been blown away.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-03-10 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

I think it depends on the season and the weather.

You are absolutely right saikee those are just representative averages. Higher temperatures, like those which you might get in March even in Hokkaido, will radically alter how the crystals form and therefore how dense and wet the snow that settles is.

In my own experience by far the "driest" snow I've skied happens to be in Japan (in January and February though rather then March).

And for what it is worth this season some of the driest (most powdery) snow I skied was in Austria, in Ischgl in mid December. When it was very cold indeed... wink
ski holidays
Quote:

As I understand it, freshly fallen snow is often wet. Being wet it seems thick and sometimes may be likened to porridge. Overnight the temperature drops enough to freeze the moisture in the snow. Next morning you should have powder that is great to ski in.

Is this really right? Seems countr-intuitive that wet snow can turn into powder overnight. I also would question the implication that freshly fallen snow is wet - we've had plenty of nice, dry snow this year (my grand-daughter was very disappointed when they arrived at Christmas when it was impossible to build a snowman) but the last lot was clag. Certainly very heavy round here at the moment - there are signs around at the lifts, warning of the very heavy snow off piste. Boarders still ripping it up in some very impressive style, though, as someone noted above. Not me though. Waterskiing on piste, rather. Through a 6" deep puddle at one point, though that was very low down (1100m, a mistake......). It was a lot more pleasant to ski through than some of the very sticky snow around it, actually, lovely slooshy noise.

My motivation in starting this thread was to question why newly fallen snow is inevitably greeted as "powder" even when it manifestly is nothing of the sort. We should campaign for a bit more honesty in snow-reporting. wink
snow conditions
Quote:

newly fallen snow is inevitably greeted as "powder" even when it manifestly is nothing of the sort

Fair point. I've often thought this was a bit suspect. Or at the very least optimistic... wink

I'd have thought wet snow that gets frozen will be more likely to turn into something really hard and tricky to ski rather than powder? But I guess it might depend on how wet and how cold??
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Even worse, the oxymoronic "packed powder". rolling eyes
snow report
brian, Laughing I skied through 6" of "melted powder" today! Rapidly followed by some almost completely evaporated powder.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

Seems countr-intuitive that wet snow can turn into powder overnight.

I guess it depends what you mean, snow that has fallen obviously won't turn into powder overnight, you don't suddenly get extra air in it.

What I have seen on several occasions is snow fall that starts off as wet heavy snow and as night falls and the temperature drops the snow that is falling gradually changes from wet snow to powder snow and you wake up to powder.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy