Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Strolz Boots

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
Quote:

They are a boot to worn all day, day after day, with causing foot pain.

a boot for the masochist, then?

Laughing Laughing Laughing that's what I thought!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Except if you put on 3 stone in weight which fattens up the foot and you then have to wear thinner socks.

I don't think this has any effect of feet mate. 1) there is no fat to speak of, a miniscule amount, if any on the foot. 2) the increase in weight would have to be so fast for the power structure of the feet not to adapt.

Pregnacy has all the symptoms you describe and is the the only process aside from serious injury that will effect feet, your not pregnant are you? Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 18-09-10 14:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that surprises me. Perhaps less so for men, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that weight loss and gain affect women's feet, irrespective of pregnancy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I would agree with Hurtle, I have certainly found that my feet have become slimmer as I have lost weight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abominable wrote:

Mould used for shell selection and any shell stretching.
Foaming done with the socked foot in the boot.
The foam sets around the foot except pressure points which are padded out.
Foaming the boot with the foot in gets the fit micro millimetere perfect all over, not just close in some places.

You've just descried the exact process I went through in Surefoot Verbier, ending up (after a couple more visits for tweaking) with perfectly fitting Langes. Is there anything else that Strolz offer on top of this?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr John, Exactly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, I think you are right with that, of course the other thing apart from serious injury that affects the foot shape is also arthritis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chubby fat feet, awesome, love it. Boil 'em up like trotters girls. hhhmmmm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, well of course none of us has got fat feet, we are perfectly formed. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, pixies usually are wink.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.your-cellulite-solution.com/cellulite-in-your-feet.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll try to be more precise if i can. You don't have fat feet unless you are obese. If you are obese, flat and fat feet are the last of you worries. The amounts of fat that can ben seen in peoples feet is miniscule, i will amend my previous post from none to miniscule. Now waddle on please ladies. Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

You don't have fat feet unless you are obese.
But, if you are obese, you do have fat feet. That's the point. I'm fat, but don't have fat feet at the moment: however, if I get much fatter, I will. So we are in agreement. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Walk on your hands and then go punch your nutritionist.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing But I don't have a nutritionist.
snow report
I bought my Strolz boots last year and IMHO they are by far the BEST boots for ME. NOTE: for ME! I have very problematic feet and according to my bootfitters advice there was only one other off the shelf boot which they could customize to fit me but which would have cost a bit MORE than the Strolz. If you have a fairly average foot, there are lots of options. However, I completely agree that the buckles are complete CRAP! I certainly hope that they will retro fit.
snow report
ludwigk, so how about it, any chance of you giving us meer mortals some idea of what these bespoke clogs cost please? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
The strolz inner is hand made in leather and allows the foam to flow under the foot. Regarding the new clips the rubber will be replaced with a modified part at no charge.
ski holidays
The cost of the boot from Glide and Slide in Otley is £600 if you need a footbed £50 extra. If you require fitting at your home in the UK mainland the cost is £750.
latest report
The cost varies but mine were 700 euro... about the same as another high-end off the shelf boot with a custom footbed.

Re Buckles: I've had one buckle blow apart shortly after purchase and it was replaced with what I think you refer to as the 'modified' one... the rest were left as is. The particular shop (in St. Anton Austria) never offered to replace all of them!

I don't believe the upgraded buckles are much better. Sad
snow report
So far we are able to see they are no better(certainly worse), no cheaper and no different to any other quality ski boot on the market; chosen, modified, with a custom footbed and foamed, so I don't get the hook, sorry.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
So far we are able to see they are no better(certainly worse), no cheaper and no different to any other quality ski boot on the market; chosen, modified, with a custom footbed and foamed, so I don't get the hook, sorry.

How exactly did you make that deduction? Let me be clear... my Strolz are by FAR the best boot I ever owned...for MY specific feet. I did agree that the buckles are crap but I'm willing to live with that given the shear performance advantage they give me.

Unless you have owned a pair and have lots of experience with other brands, fittings and boot fitters your opinion is not really worth anything.
ski holidays
[quote="ludwigk"]
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
.....Unless you have owned a pair and have lots of experience with other brands, fittings and boot fitters your opinion is not really worth anything.

This is gonna be good Laughing
latest report
ludwigk, Perhaps those words might benefit from a spot of cream and sugar?
snow report
ludwigk wrote:

Unless you have owned a pair and have lots of experience with other brands, fittings and boot fitters your opinion is not really worth anything.

Oh dear, you are probably going to regret saying that (Smallzookeeper is a boot fitter who has probably fitted thousands of boots)

edit - now where's that popcorn

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 19-09-10 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
spyderjon, wink
snow report
As I'm trying to establish here, a Strolz with i think 4 different shapes, that modifies them to fit, with a footbed and then a foam liner is promoting a good system. However bootfitting and bootfitters on the whole have a range of around 20 last shapes, will make IMO a better footbed and chose whether foam is or indeed isn't a good option, in attempt to keep down costs and providing the best product at the best price. I have met many person with Strolz boot say they are the best ever, and have talked them around to trying our services and they have been happy and in some cases, happier with the results due to the fact the work is of a high standard and very often the product ( the original boot) is of a higher quality. For this reason, I cannot see the benefit of what Stolz are selling above that that any competent bootfitter does. Strolz sell Bootfitting and shouldn't be touting their product as the only custom made boot on the market, every pair of boots we sell is exactly what they are selling, custom made.
snow conditions
ludwigk wrote:

How exactly did you make that deduction? Let me be clear... my Strolz are by FAR the best boot I ever owned...for MY specific feet. I did agree that the buckles are crap but I'm willing to live with that given the shear performance advantage they give me.

ok now that i have stopped laughing

you still don't get it do you???

you are unique as is every person on the planet, therefore every skier requires something unique....how can 4 shell shapes (sorry widths) be a unique offering with however much modification is done.... surely 20+ shapes and modification is going to offer a more bespoke option... here are a few things to think about

1 foam does not work for everyone, it is a chemical reaction and the pressure can be too much for some feet

Quote:
The strolz inner is hand made in leather and allows the foam to flow under the foot.

2 why on earth would you want that???? if the foam flows under the foot then the foot can be either inverted or everted by the foam as it is injected!!!! depending on the position the skier is in and where the foam wants to go first

3 a good fitter can offer a boot+ footbed + custom liner from as little as £350-400 if you want something of upper end performance then it can still be done for sub £600 and even a race boot with custom liner and the very best footbed is still not going to top £650

a good fitter with the 20+ shapes can truely put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the square hole, and even the oval peg in the oval hole then modify for the lumps and bumps whereas based on the information supplied the strolz fitter can put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the slightly wider round hole, do the modifications and then rely on pumping the whole thing full of foam
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is very good fun.
snow conditions
OK... first it was not my intention to start a flame war or get into a debate about whether or not Strolz boots are legitimate or not. In fact all I know is that I am happy with them and I would certainly buy another pair, despite the compromises.

Second, I was merely giving my feedback as per the questions in the original post. But my comment is still valid -what does annoy me is when people start to trash the product and the companies business philosophy in (what seems to be) a blatant attempt to justify a) what they own or even worse b) what they SELL. SMALLZOOKEEPER clearly implied that Strolz has a "hook" and therefore everyone who's bought a pair have somehow been duped?! Rubbish -the company has been around for a long time and have sold thousands if not tens of thousands of boots. They are clearly NOT a fly-by-night operation nor do they need to 'trick' anyone.

Third, the shop where I bought my boots sell most (if not all) of the top of line boots from the major manufacturers and I like I said before, I was given two choices: it was between a Lange and the Strolz. The "customization" required by the off the shelf Lange would have cost a bit more than the Strolz. The shop/bootfitter had no benefit to force me into a Strolz. I have no idea what the margins are between the two but I would concede that it could have made a difference. I would guess that Strolz does not spend as much on advertising, promotions and spiffs to their dealers.

Now, regarding custom boots. I think there's some misinformation here. I may be wrong about this (as I never said I'm an expert) but according to the propaganda from Strolz, and my fitter, and my own experience the boots are truly 'custom' because they produced a custom wooden buck for my feet. After measuring my feet (scanned in 3 dimensions) they took the closest fitting wooden buck from their inventory and added additional material (I believe its cork) to make an exact copy of my foot. Then the right combination of last sizes, widths and stiffness are heated molded around this 'custom' buck. I don't know of any other boot manufacture that offers this service. However, I do know that high-end custom master shoes makers that do this exact same process, except they obviously mold the shoe leather around the buck instead of plastic. I've had lasts molded to my feet before by heating and punching out certain areas but it was very much a trial and error process. I agree that the the rest of the process: foam liner, custom footed is the same as for another other boot. One more thing, when I bought my boots, according to my bootfitter, none of the major manufactures offered a true half sizes -they use different sized plastic foot pads to adjust half sizes.

end of rant...
latest report
snow report
Very nice spam Mr Martin but I don't think you quite get it either. Ludwiqk is on the right track its all about choices and why pull something apart to rebuild it when you have all the necessary components to build it from scratch. But nice to hear from you all the same
snow report
Not sure he needs to spam there are plenty of satisfied customers on here who do it for him.
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Not sure he needs to spam there are plenty of satisfied customers on here who do it for him.

Well said.

Strolz you on the other hand come on here with a spamming first post with no sig to say who you are/declaring your interest. Shame really cos your shop has been mentioned favourably on these boards before.
snow conditions
strolz, Sad Sad Sad

Not doing yourself or your shop any favours here.

I am sure you have a nice product - but its chief differentiation from other products is surely its price. And we all know that there is a group of people you can sell more stuff to, just by putting up the price. But hey - god made sheep to be shorn Wink
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
But hey - god made sheep to be shorn Wink

You're clearly not Welsh.
snow conditions
strolz, Please step forward and answer my query for the benefit of all concerned. If the only difference is "why pull something apart to rebuild it" this is simply the choice of a fitter and at his expense, in terms of time. None of us fitters would claim to sell the only fully custom ski boot here, I would ask only as you do, that you help us understand how that is the case? At least for the average skier on this forum, as you decided to come here and offer your good and services.
snow report
Quote:

what does annoy me is when people start to trash the product and the companies business philosophy in (what seems to be) a blatant attempt to justify a) what they own

Sorry? Toofy Grin
snow report
abominable wrote:
If you need to look at the price tag on new skiwear, skis and boots then you can't afford to ski.

Well I suspect most people here shouldn't be skiing then rolling eyes

The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind in the case of anyone who does *all* their gear shopping without looking at the price tag (or waiting for the end of season sales) ... there are other words and phrases I can think of to describe the sentiments that appear to expressed above but they might not pass any 'naughty' language filters we have here Wink

However boots are one thing that absolutely should not be scrimped on but you don't have to part with an arm and a leg to get a fantastic job done as CEM points out:
CEM wrote:
3 a good fitter can offer a boot+ footbed + custom liner from as little as £350-400 if you want something of upper end performance then it can still be done for sub £600 and even a race boot with custom liner and the very best footbed is still not going to top £650

Mind you I guess the "I got my boots fitted by a Scottish bloke in Bicester daaaaaahling" doesn't have the same snob value at the dinner party or débutantes ball as "ya custom fitted by Strolz in the exclusive Austrian resort of Lech in Austria daaaaaahling" ... not that I'd suggest any Aussie could possibly be so snooty NehNeh

I'm sure they're great boots and suit some people but I'm also sure us proles can get just as good, if not better, a fit from the likes of CEM and SMALLZOOKEEPER Toofy Grin
ski holidays
roga, nail on head. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy