Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

numb feet in new boots

Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone can help ? My new fitted boots with custom foot beds make the ball of both feet go numb after approx 1 hour of wearing them around the house. I have returned to the shop once already, and also used them on a dry slope for a short while. I have very wide feet which means that I usually wear a size larger shoe than the lengh of my feet. I don`t recall hired boots making my feet this numb, and as I am off at this next Thursday I am beginning to panic. I can visit the shop, which comes well recommended by snowheads, before I go, but as I have no experience of new boots I am unsure whether I should accept their explaination that the boots will get better as I ski more. They do not pinch at the sides, and are very snug, but the foot becomes suddenly numb just behind the toes. The boots are Nordica X 90`s. Puzzled Sad panic panic
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maybe loosen the bindings off, i find when i am out on the hill i rarely have my toe clips done up unless i am hammering it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jwhiteley1, Thanks for the reply; I see I should may be have posted this in the buying boots sticky. The toe clips are on minimum, and ankles done up nice and firm. The numbness is on my sole.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could just need a little bit of a stretch across the foot to take the pressure off, try and locate the main area of pressure then go in to your local and let them know! they should be able stretch the shell for you.

Also sounds stupid but if it is a custom sidas foot bed make sure the toes are really flat. If it bends up takes volume out around the toe box which never feels good!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
101 possible causes, could be the shell beign too big, too small, the footbed not working correctly, get ack to the store and get them to take a look
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dansmith, CEM, Thanks for your time in replying. There`s no pressure points on the shell, which was blown to accommodate my wide off the scale size 10 feet.The boots are 28.5 . Doing a shell test ( learnt from your earlier threads, thanks ) I`ve got about 20 to 25 mm clearance. When the footbeds were moulded, I did feel that my toes were not pushed down like they would if I was standing on a hard surface. Once the ankle clips are done up firmly I have no heel lift. My fitter on the last visit said that I`ve just got to bed them in, and that he`d rather they were tight now, than I come back in a year saying that they are lose; seems fair enough from what you guys have said previously.
They have only been worn at home for about 3 hours, which is probably not enough, and I could easily put up with the numbness. The numbness did seem to start as I sat down having got bored with standing so I will whack them on again. I wonder if wearing massive shapeless steely work boots all week has any bearing on this ? You are all really good to take the time bothering replying on your wk end . Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
after I wrote this I got up and felt a very mild pins and needles from sitting, so perhaps it is my 44 yr old landscapers body which is at fault !! I will go to the dry slope tomorrow. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cstreat, Sitting down in your ski boots your toes are more than likely to go numb as your foot is slipping forward out of the heal pocket of the boot and toes are slipping forward into the front. Get stood up flexing into the ski boot to judge it!

(and I have to work weekends Sad so its an escape out the shop to sit here on my computer and try and look busy!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dansmith, I am over at Lymington ! Ringwood best !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
remove spoilers, try a 10mm heel lift, if there is enough room (between liner and shell) and see if the problem reduces, disappears or take's longer to arrive. Then fill your gloves with chocolate, your hood with oatmeal and go dancing naked in the rain.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haha this is when I found out I fitted the boots isn't it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did your wife have the rediculously high spec for a beginner Tecnica boots as well that we stretched? no names mentioned of the selling shop...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dansmith, Can open, worms all over the floor, what is too a high spec boot for a beginner?????????
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my ski boots fit fine, but I get that same numbness in walking boots. It becomes really painful, usually after about 2 hours walking. I just have to stop, get the boots off, massage the toes etc and it's fine, but then it's less than 2 hours before I have to do it again.

They're definitely not too small - and the same thing has happened in a variety of footwear recently, including a pair of very ordinary Clarks trainers. I'm beginning to think it's my feet. I shall just have to live on Crocs or ski boots.

ACtually, I think the same thing might happen in my ski boots if I spent any time walking in them, which I don't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have had similar problems in the past - see this thread.
Went to CEM in December who made me new footbeds and put in some heel lifts and told me to stretch calves 3 times a day. My feet were almost perfect - except the last day when they went numb again - I put that down to poor technique as my skiing had gone to pot and I kept leaning back (despite constant mantra of "lean forward, lean forward".
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Can't remember the boot model as I don't deal with tecnica (could of been a dragon? is that what replaced the diablos?)but it really was over kill for someone that was coming for there first ski lessons on dry slopes, At the end of the day they were killing the woman and the wrong shape for her and an aggressive fit that she didn't want or need. I could be wrong as to what person cstreat, but the story sounds similar...If I remember correctly he would of been alot better of in a 27 wider last (head edge/atomic b tech also)
snow report
dansmith, You are safe there, I am afraid that I went to a competitor- sorry; does sound like my wife though !! I may well pop down if I have no luck.
Zwee, Interesting thread, that`s quite alot of people with numb feet who have gone to Havant; it all sounds very familiar. I also have a tendancy to lean back.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I already have heel lifters in my running shoes; does that link up ?Married to a sports massuese, so I think my calves are good, but she will soon tell me and use it as an excuse to inflict torture. Dumb ass question, but what is the spoiler?; I`ve got a car with one. Lastly, it`s my mouth that is usually full of chocolate, so that`s where I have been going wrong all these years. Thanks for all your comments Very Happy
ski holidays
just stretched my calves off; they were a bit tight. put my 7mm heel inserts from my trainers in, and found out what a boot spoiler is. After 25 mins my shins are a bit sore( no big deal) and I can feel the ball of my foot, but no numbness at mo. I`ll give you a ring in the morningdansmith, to see about a paid second opinion
latest report
no worries can see what we can do!
snow conditions
Actually, the heel lifts destroyed my shins; they were still hurting an hour later. I think Zwee via Cem may have hit the nail on the head about tight calves; a neighbour of mine had exactly the same problem, and easing the calves off solved it. I think the boots were well fitted, and liking value for money( I only went in to the ski shop for a helmet) I am just having a last moment panic that I have wasted money. Many thanks for all the advice.
snow report
Big thank you to Andy at Snowtrax for confirming my boots are good; it`s just me with the bad posture. What was even better was that he corrected my wife`s footbeds, which he noted were men`s ones cut down. I`m a bit shocked that another reccommended fitter elsewhere did this, after spending several 100 £ at his shop. Andy gave us good advice on a range of matters and prevented the dragon from having an uncomfortable 8 days skiing, for the sake of £ 40. TOP MARKS
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy