Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wellness - a euphemism for perversion and/or exhibitionism?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
And where did they keep their second ball when serving?

pam w, in their hand? That's what I do when serving (clothed).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia wrote:
Scarpa, what's a northern thing? I am semi-northern myself after all.

Norks. Actually an Aussie thing but seemed to have been taken up by the northern guys.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
someone's going to post that picture again in a minute....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Public saunas / tubs / pools are frightful.

Full of old people with foot disease.

Only peaches aged 18 to 24 should be allowed in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, and you, of course Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
Well OK I personally find it unpleasant and unnecessary. Surely no one can think the human body unclothed is a beautiful sight to behold? Laughing

It is nothing to do with whether the sight is beautiful or not.

It is about the fact that it is both more hygenic, and more in keeping with the purpose of a sauna or steam room.

The whole point is to open up your pores to let you sweat freely. Wrapping yourself in damp nylon/cotton is hardly conducive to that.

Quote:

Someone up there was having a laugh when he/she designed people.

Most people do find at least some other people attractive to look at, but I do agree that the human body doesn't seem to be particularly well designed from that point of view.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DAB wrote:
queen bodecia, hmmmm.....you could be right there....actually I have always wondered if saunas are such temples of debauchery and lust, what happens when a man gets aroused??? Please don´t tell me seepage Puzzled

It happens so rarely in that context that I can't recall ever seeing (or experiencing) it.

You're not generally there for sexual reasons, and the fact you are all naked has nothing to do with sex, so you are no more aroused than you would be if everybody was wearing swimming costumes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia wrote:
Kramer, I daren't! Laughing

It's safe enough. A song "99 words for boobs".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, If naked people upset you then you should make a point of not visiting Munich in the summer Very Happy The Englische Garten (badly misnamed in this case) is absolutely full of people lying around completely starkers... as is any patch along the Isar river which you can lie on. I remember being a bit surprised when walking over the bridge by the Museeumsinsel, right in the middle of the city, and looking over the side at a whole bunch of completely naked ladies... Students I reckon, very nice Very Happy They used to jump into one of the canals that go through the Englische Garten and swim down some way then get out and get the tram back to the start again! But for some reason some of the older members of the population got upset about having naked nubiles on the tram and they started refusing to take you without clothes anymore. Besides they could prove that you were riding without a ticket Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
Colin Bell, I couldn't agree more. Nudity is unpleasant and unnecessary.

To you.

For some of us, clothing in a sauna is unpleasant. Clothing is certainly unnecessary in saunas etc.

Quote:

Clothes were invented for a very good reason.

Indeed. Namely for protection from the elements.

In countries where such protection was not necessary, clothing often came very late, although body adornment often metamorphosed into clothing as adornment even when it wasn't necessary for protection.

It is mainly only modern society (and not even all modern societies) which has seen clothing as being something whose function is to hide the body.

Quote:

I would always steer clear of German/Austrian spas and saunas, even German swimming pools on a Saturday morning (shudders at the recollection).

Actually, I disagree with the perviness comments. It clearly isn't that, it's just highly unpleasant to someone like me.

Which is unfortunate for you, if you would otherwise like to use the wellness facilities.

If you had been brought up in that society, you wouldn't think anything of it at all. It would be so normal.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney, totally understand that. I just wasn't brought up that way.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I really don't get this hygiene thing. Sitting on a towel - totally fine. Sitting on a cossie/trunks? A million trillian bacteria causing that well-known phenomena "death by wellness" rolling eyes .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, The towels supplied in the wellness areas will normally be boiled between uses. Swimming costumes are very rarely washed at anything like that high a temperature, and are more often than not worn several times between washes (particularly when you are away on holiday without proper clothes washing facilities), and are left slightly damp to boot - providing a good breeding ground for bacteria.

Plus, of course, the towel will normally be much thicker than a swimming costume, thus making much more of a barrier between anything on your skin and the bench you sit on.

But more important even than those is the fact that you will only get yourself properly clean if the shower you take beforehand is naked. It's impossible to wash properly under a swimming costume.

I saw the results of some research a few years ago (sorry can't find it now) which proved conclusively that nudity in all Wellness facilities was more hygenic overall than wearing clothes. And in the case of hot tubs, also resulted in the filters lasting 2-3 times as long because they weren't being clogged up with fibres from the costumes.

Having said all of which, it obviously is not a huge problem, or there would be far more health problems from users of saunas etc. in the UK and other similarly inhibited countries.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Germans know about Hygiene.
The English fit carpets in there Bathrooms/Toilets rolling eyes It would appear from the discussion above a lot of naivety about sauna/spa hygiene
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, remove yourself from the 1970s. No-one has had carpet in the bathroom for years.
snow conditions
Lizzard, If you live in a cold 500 year old house with wobbly moving uneven floors like ours, yes you do. In 3 bathrooms. Gets replaced every few years. I'd love to see some evidence that there were any ill effects from this. People who live in a modern house with floors which don't bend when you walk on them, or have apartments with concrete floors may get away with tiles/stone etc.
latest report
People are more likely to be made sick by tea-towels which have been left around too long than by the carpets in a bathroom. I heard an article on the Today programme some months ago (so it must be true) that amongst the most potent source of bad bacteria are car steering wheels - which had hugely more than toilet seats. However, I'm still not going to sit in one of those bacteria stews, clothed or not.
snow report
When I was investigating hotels in Obertauern I was amazed and amused at a few websites, they showed men and women lounging around in the rooms dressed in underwear and ski boots Laughing The pool and wellness centre in the hotel we stayed at certainly had more nudity than generally acceptable in the UK but obviously that's the norm in Austria, I do think we're quite prudish about our bodies.
snow report
Quote:

you live in a cold 500 year old house with wobbly moving uneven floors like ours, yes you do

No we don't. NehNeh
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, remove yourself from the 1970s. No-one has had carpet in the bathroom for years.

We've got one. So has my mum.

Sad
ski holidays
paulio, that's frankly quite nasty.
snow conditions
If your going to do Wellness do it properly

http://www.starkenberg.at/bierschwimmbad/index.swf

http://www.oe24.at/reise/Schwimmen_in_Bier_14156.ece

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 26-03-10 22:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
starkenbergen are presumably mountains where nobody wears any clothes? Chilly im Winter, I should think.
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing Laughing
latest report
paulio, Lizzard, those with continence issues are obviously are best avoiding them Wink
snow report
This isn't a problem. Just wrap your towel over your privates - or round you if you are a woman - and avoid looking down too much when sitting next to others. I have never heard anyone demand that you drop yer towel if you choose to wear one. Hot tub might have to be avoided if you are bashful.

Last trip to Zell am See there was a bloke who left the wellness, went out into snow and sat cross legged in front of restaurant window flicking snow over himself. The folk having lunch didn't seem too distracted!

Personally I had to make an effort to get used to the nudity to begin with. But that is the way they feel comfortable and who am I to criticise when the host nation considers it acceptable?
snow report
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=norks
Breasts. Australian slang.

Derived from the prominent udders on the cow used to advertise Norco, New South Wales' North Coast Dairy Co-Operative.

Crikey! Check out the norks on that shiela!
snow conditions
geoffers, thats quite cool coming from someone from Bristol!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112 wrote:
what is this sudden group denial of being pervs ????

this whoel website is full of them , i can;t believe that as soon as the words "naked sauna" appear everyone statr pretending they are all modern europeans !!!

You're all pervs -

Yes... this did make me wonder. I have only been on here for a few months but in that short time I've seen various bikini shots posted - whilst I've just been admiring "THAT Alain photo" - and some definite perving (especially during the Olympics)! In fact, the results of a forum search for "naked" or "breasts" (I stopped there, Embarassed) suggest that spa users might be considered prudent, rather than prudish, if they are reluctant to strip off in the sauna while SHs are in the vicinity Laughing

Obviously the point of Wellness centres is relaxation (not perving or exhibitionism) and they are really not sexually-charged places. However, I think it's understandable that some people might not achieve total relaxation if they are compelled to go naked in a fairly intimate situation with relative strangers, whom they will continue to encounter during their stay. As we are a small set-up, we decided to put in a booking system in our spa area for each apartment; partly because it gives us the opportunity to give things a quick clean in between each individual use... (I also like to use that spa when it's free, and festering "seepage" + "bacteria stews" = Going green spoo Skullie) and partly to allow coyer guests a totally private relaxation experience (though of course people can choose to share their sessions with other apartments if everybody wants to - we're not enforcing prudishness!) Obviously a hotel wouldn't want to do this, but they don't need to because the majority of their guests couldn't care less who else was in there and what they looked like. And for the more timid minority, it's probably easier to adopt the "when in Rome" attitude in a more anonymous environment (especially when it's not your face people are going to remember anyway wink)
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Well OK I personally find it unpleasant and unnecessary.

Your prerogative, certainly.
queen bodecia wrote:
Surely no one can think the human body unclothed is a beautiful sight to behold? Laughing

What, no-one thinks anyone is attractive naked? You're having a laugh, no?
queen bodecia wrote:
Someone up there was having a laugh when he/she designed people.

Quite possibly.
snow report
I think it is a cultural thing - maybe in a culture where nudity is seen as more acceptable and less stigmatised it isn't an issue for folks. The UK is not like that, hasn't been since Victorian times. I am not comfortable with nudity in public places if I have to join in. I never used to like the shared changing rooms in school for the same reason, and am not keen on public changing rooms in swimming pools. I don't see anything wrong with a little privacy. I would no doubt strip off if there was no other option, but I am more likely to forego using a facility than strip off if I had an option.
snow report
DAB wrote:
queen bodecia, hmmmm.....you could be right there....actually I have always wondered if saunas are such temples of debauchery and lust, what happens when a man gets aroused??? Please don´t tell me seepage Puzzled

Laughing The ice pool - instant cool down!

And OP, grow up. Assuming you've seen human genitalia before, what's the problem? if you've got a problem with your own body, just wrap a towel round yourself.
snow report
Quote:
what happens when a man gets aroused???

Well, it would be more interesting than the usual big, fat, hairy belly almost covering the button mushroom ..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
maggi, eeewwww. But so true. Laughing
latest report
maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
queen bodecia, it was a he,

Jesus, don't jump all over the guy.
latest report
Actually, the thread title was a bit Goldfish.
snow report
maggi, Laughing

Megamum, it is a cultural thing and that's why it's not surprising that our culture can sometimes be a source of amusement to others - we love a good bit of smutty humour and (harmless) 'perving', and then turn into prudes in a relaxation spa... Of course, if you haven't stripped off in a public sauna before - and towels are permitted - you may feel a bit strange at first, but it's generally no big deal (as maggi so rightly points out!)
snow report
Quote:

the results of a forum search for "naked" or "breasts" (I stopped there...) suggest that spa users might be considered prudent, rather than prudish, if they are reluctant to strip off in the sauna while SHs are in the vicinity

miranda, Laughing
When a whole lot of little girls of 11 arrived at our grammar school in the '50s, it was rumoured that after gym you had a compulsory communal shower. We were all worried about this, to varying degrees, but most of us found it took very little time to get used to the idea, and to be extremely impressed with Carol Joseph's breasts - she was a very pretty girl and considerably more developed than most of us. I have no problem with communal changing areas in swimming pools, though they are all female (in Hampshire, at any rate...). It would take me longer to get used to mixed ones, but it took me about 10 minutes to get used to going topless on a beach where everyone was, so it probably wouldn't take long.

I think I would be more than a little concerned about a daughter of mine who found it very uncomfortable to be naked around other similar aged school girls. I don't need to worry on that score about mine - when she was new to breastfeeding, and not very adept at it, in the Marks and Spencer café a few weeks ago it was me who was faffing round with muslin sqares trying to cover her up a bit. Laughing

I wonder if the OP is one of those who has problems with women breastfeeding - however discreetly - in public?
snow conditions
pam w, I'd go for public feeding over squealing hungry infant every time.
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy