Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A VERY cheap trip to the 3 Valleys

Poster: A snowHead
The story is that times are hard but we wanted a boys trip. Austria was the favourite but the withdrawl of Thomsonfly from Manchester shelved this. We wanted a shorter break that meant we could be at home for rugby on sundays. GVA from Newcastle was the obvious choice and so I started looking for venues. I stumbled accross a snowhead gaff in a little village called Villarenger, 5 minutes drive from St MArtin de Bellevilel owned by Villz , called Chalet Marmotton. or an alternate site

Numbers fluctuated and we eventuall settled on 13 which meant we had 8 upstairs in the 12 bed and 5 dowstairs in the 5 bed. Everyone had their own bed, with no double sharing and no sofa beds (sadly one would drop out before the trip). The cost of a full week, including a 10% snowhead discount was £70 each !!! yes seventy quid. The actual gaffs were up an alleyway with no view but inside were lovely (especially the downstairs gaff with its vaulted ceilings).
A little more room than most French appartments, ony criticism was that the upstairs one could have done with another sofa. All 12 of us loved the place and it suited us perfectly. Clean and well equipped it was great. We hired cars at the airport (quicker to walk to P51 than to get the courtesy bus), Renault Scenics, skis down the middle.

We were told of great places to park; 1 was a roadside spot next to the piste just above the St Martin bubble and the other spot was just above the la Masse base gondola where there is a car park just before a snow bridge. Both were ski in-out, quite brilliant and free.

Each morning an early riser popped to St Martin to the bakers and on the 1st night we dropped into Moutiers, did a shop at the excellent Carrefour and had a pizza. The bill for the following 4 nights for drinks and food came in at €35 each. We organised a rota for the cooking and on the last night combined the 2 flats for a gala dinner. I have rarely eaten so well on a holiday. We skied 1st until last lift and were often asleep ny 9pm. There is NOTHING in Villarenger but on this type of holiday it really didn't matter.

It was a first for us all with this type of holiday and we loved it. It meant we got to the 1st lift every morning and we had a quicker journey to the skiing than most staying in St MArtin. The agent (neighbour and original builder/converter of the flats) said that no one was coming until the monday and let us leave our gear there and indeed shower and change at the end of skiing on the saturday, we of course did another clean. The owner and agent were most obliging and trusting throughout. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

1st lift saw us get stunning 1st tracks on Jerusalem, La Masse, Pluviometre, and Goitschell, all quite stunning. The skiing in the 3v was superb and for 3 days we had the most wonderful smow on piste, even my mum could have skied Combe de Caron. Fave runs: Combe de Caron VT, Tete Rond VT, , Longet La Masse, Jerusalem StM and Rhodos C1650. we got a bit bored with the big flat areas in VT and 1850. We met up with Hurtle & friend for 3 half days and enjoyed some great lunches and skiing. Best lunches - Chalet de Deux Lacs VT & La Ferme in Reberty.

Ski hire was very cheap through Snowrental, but was double the price at Jean Sports 2000 in St MArtin for those that forgot to book and spot hired (rip off).

The weather was stunning for the 1st 3 days and then warmed up unccomfortably, but we enjoyed slkiing until 3 on the Saturday and were in bed at home for midnight.

A super, super holiday....and outstanding value accomodation. A lovely appartment for £70 a head Shocked Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 25-03-10 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, but EVERYone on snowheads knows the 3 valleys is stupid expensive and you get ripped off for everything wink waddya mean you actually had a great time inexpensively in the 3V's didnt think it was possible...

ps. good to hear you had a great time!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one this is what it is all about ist lift up and last off the mountain...

Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, but EVERYone on snowheads knows the 3 valleys is stupid expensive and you get ripped off for everything wink waddya mean you actually had a great time inexpensively in the 3V's didnt think it was possible...

ps. good to hear you had a great time!

and not to mention horribly crowded, only good for intermediates, and not much off-piste

All in all, a terrible place to ski .... nothing here, move along
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, sounds terrific. Sharing a good quality apartment, cooking your own good quality dinners and buying booze in a supermarket, ski all day and in bed by 9 pm - way to go. snowHead You were a little unlucky with the very warm weather - mid March has been terrific round here for the last 7 years (we're not far from the 3V as the crow flies).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, It was not too bad, but could have been an epic last day if the temps had dropped as it rained right up to 3200m on the last night.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w,
Quote:

Sharing a good quality apartment, cooking your own good quality dinners and buying booze in a supermarket, ski all day and in bed by 9 pm - way to go.

Absolutely right. I can only echo everything said by Frosty the Snowman about the outstanding skiing and mountain top eating, not to mention the excellent company I enjoyed for three days. As for accommodation, my thanks go to my landlord in Mottaret.......................................................................step forward skimottaret! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Well worth clicking on his sig, not only for information about his apartment but for everything you need to know about the 3V. I was an exceptionally happy bunny throughout the week. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Glad you had a nice time!
Plain brown envelope coming your way
Ann
www.chaletmarmotton.com
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman,

Look like you have found a cheap way to ski.

How did you solve the transport/transfer for the 12?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Villz, Very Happy
saikee, we hired cars, a must in this village. Worked brilliantly.flights £65 + skis, total car costs £80
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman,

Sounds really fantastic. A lovely wee find. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy, you should have come Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman,

Yes, I should have. Sounds ab fab.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
France rolling eyes what a rip off eh! snowHead
At those prices you should arrange the E0sb Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, no pool, but there is a large horse trough Laughing
snow report
Well the boys trip is at the planning stage again. The consensus seems to be.........same time, same place, same M.O. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, bummocks, don't think I'll be in the 3V then. (Paul will have run out of holiday and it looks as though I'll go to see - and ski with - friends in Canada in February.) Sad Sad Sad I SO enjoyed skiing with you all.
snow report
Hurtle, indeed, it all made for a great trip. That is a shame.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy