Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski decks and simulators: invention/frustration

Poster: A snowHead
For some reason, moving carpets seem to come and go in skiing. I remember an enterprising company called Mogulslope installing a network of them in sports centres etc. around England a long long time ago (I think this was late 1960s onwards). There have been other attempts to get them established, from time to time.

The idea is dead simple - a ramp of moving carpet, controllable for speed, and sometimes a variable pitch for the whole unit. The skier is essentially stationary, while the carpet slides against the skis. If the skier falls, there's a trip bar at the top to trigger a stop. The skier can practice straight-running and most turns. On a big scale - the biggest I've seen was at the London Ski Show about 20 years ago - trick skiers can do some fun things on them.

With a bit of searching I found this video of a big carpet on YouTube:

Ski Master 8000 (Snow & Co Roden Indoor Skiing)

They have advantages and disadvantages for teaching. One pleasant aspect is that the instructor stands below, giving one-to-one guidance. You can throw a ball or bean bag at the skier, and they throw it back. This is particularly useful for distracting people from their skis and to relax their posture. The endurance aspect is a big plus. 5 minutes on a moving carpet and you'll have skied about helf a mile or more. I think you get fewer falls and people feel quite relaxed on them, feeling they're not hurtling downhill, out of control.

I only ever taught one lesson on a moving carpet, but it was fun and the first-day beginner made rapid progress. I've tried skiing on a few myself, and it was enjoyable - with an impressive burn in the thigh muscles after a few minutes use. Obviously the sensation is very different, but the edging and turning are a good simulation of the real thing.

It might be interesting for these machines to be installed at indoor and outdoor artificial ski centres, as I think they complement any other facility.

The important things are having a reasonably big ramp (the one in the video is unusually large) and no bar to hold onto. Some units have a built-in bar, and the beginner holds on, which is hopeless for developing independent posture and skiing position.

Anyone else tried these things?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-03-10 8:46; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Indoor carpet skiing in Turkey:

Ski deck at the Mars Athletic Club in Kanyon, Istanbul

Looks like they've lubricated the surface with some kind of spray

Not sure if it's a Turkish carpet

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-03-10 8:47; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like great fun. Especially since you can control the gradient of the slope, and the slope doesn't run out after 10 seconds like in most indoor skiing centres.

Are there any more of them left in the UK now?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bum wrote:
Are there any more of them left in the UK now?

http://www.realli-ski.co.uk/

I think it's probably ok for people just learning but since you can get the centrifugal forces of actually skiing to balance against it's probably not much use beyond that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It actually looks useful to get the fitness up before the ski holiday. Doing a 150m run on an indoor slope just doesn't get any lactic acid burning in your thighs.

The realli-ski ones are smaller, and have a bar to hold onto, which, as George W Bash has said, seems to defeat the purpose.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
narc, thought they'd gone bust
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the subsidence in my house doesnt go quick enough to be able to get any turns in on the axminster in the lounge Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I recently taught somebody at Hemel who had spent a bit of time at Realli-Ski. She said that on the rotating mats she felt quite competent and in control but she struggled to make linked turns on the main slope at Hemel.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did some sessions at Realli-Ski when i was first learning.

Advantages were 1) As bum, says it gives you a much longer run than the average snow dome which is a definite advantage in building fitness (I was always much more tired after half an hour on the reverse treadmill than I ever was after two hours at MK or Hemel); 2) The gradient can be quickly and easily altered to give a broader range of movement; 3) There's no-one else to unnerve you (handy in the early stages); 4) The instructor has a very clear view of exactly what you are (or aren't) doing

Disadvantages are that 1) there's no snow; 2) you learn on blades not skis; 3) there's no poles to play with; 4) there's no-one else to deal with (hardly realistic)

As with every other kind of instruction I found the instructor made all the difference. I still use some of the techniques that one of the guys taught me there to help with angulation.

I hired my skis from edge2edge at Radlett this year (which shares space with realli-ski). At Saturday lunchtime none of the machines were in use and there wasn't an instructor on site. It didn't look like they were doing much business.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Doing a 150m run on an indoor slope just doesn't get any lactic acid burning in your thighs.

there are plenty of ways to get lactic acid burning in your thighs without spending a lot of money. If you ask snowpatrol nicely he'll probably give you some ideas. Probably not nicely, though. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dumb idea
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1) apologies to George W. Bash, for not reading the OP fully and giving full credit to his insight.
2) Realli-Ski is up for sale on e-Bay - 3 days left to bid (no charge for postage LOL!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just-Jill, thanks for that ... but no worries at all.

The reason that Realli-Ski will have failed (apart from having a name which isn't obvious to speak - and why 2 Ls?) is that the product design is clearly mis-conceived. It clearly wasn't designed by ski instructors, because it includes a major grip bar and harness which should never be relied upon by someone who's supposed to be learning to make independent movement on a mountain. These features just aren't needed, and the carpet surface appears to be far too restricted:

Realli-Ski ski simulator on YouTube

Bearing in mind all the development work that's been done on these devices over 40 years, it's remarkable that this expensive project got off the drawing board.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just have a look at their website. 2 things jump out.

1. if you're trying boarding, that bar in front of you looks tooth-chippingly inviting if you slipped.
2. you could go, but you'd never be able to tell anyone on SH because you HAVE BEEN USING BLADES! (fetches pitchfork, flaming torches etc.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This one's quite funny (Chicago):

Chicago Ski Company, on Taylor Street

Interior design consultant required

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 27-03-10 8:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
(Very) short green run, if you like quick turns:

BodyCarver interactive Ski & Board machine (in a UK health club)

Lady with perfect athletic parallels:

SkyTec simulator

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-03-10 8:50; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Realli-ski gone ?

That's a shame. I spoke to them when it was set up and they were thinking of franchising it. I did ask if it was simialr to the Mogulslope and they'd never heard of it.

That Turkish device looked quite convincing, is it the SKimaster 8000 from Roden ? It looks like it would fit in about the size of a squash court.
snow report
Similar idea to the SkyTec simulator above, but more complicated:

InTrainers 'Alpine Skiing Ski Training Bench'

Why the harness?
latest report
I used to use a machine a bit similar to the SkyTec at a gym I used (when I used to be keen!). Same sort of side to side motion but only about a 2 metre swing to it. When the springs weren't broken it gave a good aerobic workout and I reckon it helped build up the correct muscles in the legs. It had a hand grip which sort of simulated the position you would hold ski poles. That said, skiing it ain't!
latest report
Hi there)
I used snowboarding the Proleski.eu equipment
That was great, but the club recently moved and I am waiting for a new place to go)
As I know, they use special carpet and also add a little watter to make sliding easier!
I have contacted to them, just to know about the price...looks like a great investments) as I know the USA companies take 70$ per session.. if calculate it worth to build such and takes no to long)
All have been snowboarding for more then 7 year that is the best) better than sex LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@Garik, welcome to snowheads. snowHead this is a very old thread.
snow report
Hi) sorry I am new one)
And a little borring) no snow and to hot
snow conditions
What about http://www.skiplex.co.uk/home.aspx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy