Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why can't I ski 'floppy'?

Poster: A snowHead
Oh, and that's without all the confusing pole plant stuff rolling eyes .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Demo some faction 13s. Floppiest ski ever.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's late, I've probably had too much to drink but the thought going through is... We're talkign cruising greens and easy bliues. Ski with your hips not your head - it's a slow dance, a rhythmic groove. Sway a little, gyrate.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
forwood, Mmmmm................its an idea, but.....................I don't know whether 'gyrate' is exactly me Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another vote for time spent on skis and playing around, little jumps, skiing backwards, skiing on one ski,get familiar with your skis Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Megamum, I've seen you at the EOSB, I'd say gyrating is EXACTLY your thing wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the_doc, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I find it very hard to get rid of excess tension when skiing and know that it's counterproductive as stiff legs don't act like shock absorbers. The more I am either worrying about the technique or the challenge of the slope I am on, the worse it is - when I am relaxed on terrain I am happy with and I "just ski" it feels quite different. The "inner game" skiing book has an interesting piece that I think is relevant here. A lady who was quite reserved in her skiing wanted to change her style. As the instructor knew she was capable of doing it, she was was asked to explain what she wanted to ski like by doing a run and demonstrating what she meant - the result was quite a revelation to her.

I think there is a lot in the "have fun" issue discussed above. We are guilty of getting far too serious about it too much of the time and a balance would be far more beneficial. If all we do is practise technique and beat ourselves up for what we don't achieve we are robbing ourselves of the enjoyment aspect.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you don't go for music (and don't knock it till you've tried it), there's always a vin chaud. On on arctic morning in Les Gets, years ago, my sister and I were in the caff for a vin chaud at 0915!

The weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed someone suggested above would probably be even more effective. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.drinkon.com/alt-img/strohminator_medium.jpg

Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, Urghh....that stuff. My one bad experience of it was when it was put in a tea cup with 2 spoons of sugar, burned off and topped up with black tea {{{shudders}}}
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, What makes you smile, or giggle ? Can you do that on skis ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, I have to agree. Stroh....... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Within the bounds of common decency? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, That's up to you ! wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Remember there's noone at the bottom of the slope holding up boards with points for style!

Oh yes they are mate, perhaps not holding up board exactly, but absolutely everyone who sees you skiing, be it from a restaurant terrace or the lift, makes a judgment on your skill level and style so they can measure it against their own and form an opinion as to where they are in the pecking order and how they might have improved. One of the great delight of a skiing holiday is people watching, don't try and pretend it isn't.
snow report
Dr John, Laughing Laughing

too true
ski holidays
Try spending a period out of your comfort zone - say to the side of the piste (under qualified supervision if anything more serious) for a stretch. When you get back onto a moderate piste, it will seem like a piece of cake and feel good.
snow report
Dr John, there's a 'pecking order'? Do explain. rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard, instructors at the top, learners at the bottom, every other bu&&er somewhere in the middle
latest report
Dr John,
Quote:

instructors at the top

I don't think so Shocked
snow conditions
Dr John, You're not wrong - every day I waited for ski school to bring the kids back I was watching those coming down the slope and trying to work out what they were doing right and what they were doing like me Laughing
snow report
instructors at the top! God i've met some who can't even put a proper parrallel turn in!!!!!!
snow report
the_doc, what were you being instructed in at the time, cookery?
snow report
Nothing about being good at teaching skiing to a beginner/intermediate level requires being good at a high level... don't tell the ESF that though Wink
ski holidays
Fun, fun, fun...
but without the dope or other dubious substances. (Some people take relaxation too seriously.)

Incidentally, relaxed skiing makes you last longer... slopeside. Wink
Tense, rigid skiing sucks on energy like Dracula. It doesn't do your joints much good either.

I mean, does anyone really need to ski blacks and bumps like they missed out at the last Olympics all the time?

Anyone for a Redbull?

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Mad Mad Mad Mad Very Happy Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Dr John, I am an instructor so I've met a few.
snow conditions
Dr John, if you're obsessed with grading and comparing everyone, I suggest you should be looking at piste rescue for the best skiers. Or you could just give up on the whole status thing and just get on with it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, I appreciate you are trying to live up to your tag line, but extrapolating "obsessed" from a throw away line on an interweb chat room is somewhat of a leap too far. My observation on people watching and the internal workings of peoples minds, conscious or not, still stands.

btw, if you want to see real obsession on gradings and standings I suggest you review the postings of Mr 1%, Frank4short. He must have spend untold hours trying to justify his grandstanding by creating about 1500 separate and specific grading criteria. Can't give you the direct link because I'm really can't be @rsed.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 31-03-10 14:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
the coolest looking skiers round here tend to be the pisteurs. You rarely see instructors going flat out - though one ESF guy laying down some beautiful carves under a chairlift in Crest Voland last year was one of the most impressive things I've seen on skis. From above you could really appreciate the tracks he was leaving (which was no doubt his intention.....)
ski holidays
Dr John, I doubt if I could be bothered reading it either. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, it's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy