Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone ski on piste anymore??!!

Poster: A snowHead
yep....i have way too many skis also...am awaiting my 6th set as we speak...will be on the quiver redux plan when i get back from tahoe......i think it's ok to be a gear whore though...you love something so much you get carried away...p.s....in relation to the OP, i am delighted to say none of my skis are piste skis...

okbye
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, Does that mean I've pulled (assuming you are a guy!!) Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowpatrol, yeah, but you probably can't ski on piste.

Can you ski bumps?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Kel, Does that mean I've pulled (assuming you are a guy!!) Laughing Laughing

What goes on tour stays on tour wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:

A powder day.
My daughter looking down from the chair as we went over a piste:
"So Dad, today Pistes are basically for people who can't ski"

Actually, ironically these days, both piste and off piste are for people who can't ski, but I know what she meant Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For what it's worth, woz exactly the same last year in the end of season sale in "Le Vieux Campeur" in Albertville. Any number of vast great planks with improbable graphics.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv wrote:
rob@rar, can we have both those figures for clarification? Shocked

I think I'm up to about 12 or 13 pairs of skis (I really must sell some) and probably 7 or 8 pairs of shoes.

Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
imelda@rar, that's not really so many.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050825072949/http://www.narsil.org/Dana/dana.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thing I've noticed most is it really is where you ski, I've been in Mayrhofen for the past two seasons where it's quite the opposite of my previous experience (winters in Alpe d'Huez, Deux Alpes, Valloire, Tahoe, etc), here in Austria its the wannabees riding around on their Atomic Uber-SLRGTI's with pants so tight you get a very god view of the male cameltoe whether you want it or not!
There's some good deals to be had at the end of season on some decent twin tips if you're looking whereas all the gaper junk is nowhere to be seen (well, slight exaggeration there!!), and as I've read somewhere before riding fat skis on piste is a bit like masturbation, you know its bad but its so much fun you can't give it up ; )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No because pistes are ghey
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the_doc, fair point. Hard to spot anything other than fairly run of the mill piste skis in La Thuile. Whereas I saw a lot of the off-piste brigade with skis taller and fatter than them in Courmayeur, there were very few of these in La Thuile. It also had the largest concentration of 'old' equipment than I've seen for a long time. Lots of 80s and early 90s straight skinny skis and lots of fartbags from a time when they were the height of fashion. Couldn't work out whether the retro look was cool again or whether these were just people that have been using the same old gear for 15 years or more.

My year old skis felt about the newest things in resort. Even the hire equipment was 3 or so seasons old.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

Can you ski bumps?

its not that you can't ski bumps... you just can't ski and the bumps prove it Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EB stock whatever their market research tells them will sell. The stuff in the sales is literally what didn't sell!

The market trend is no doubt toward fatter skis whether you need them or not. But I'd say the most popular width is still around 75-80 mm for the vast majority of piste skiers. Even in BC Canada 100mm+ widths are relatively uncommon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
The thing I've noticed most is it really is where you ski.......

Agreed, from my scientific observation; Verbier - loads of fatter skis about the place. Kitzbuhel - loads of GS 'n SL about (and these guys knew how to ski them correctly too)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, wasn't it Plake who said something along the lines of "you can't hide in the bumps" (can't remember the exact quote..) - which I tend to agree with - on piste you can get away with a lot, off piste on modern kit you can get away with a lot, but in the bumps... you can't hide...
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Even in BC Canada 100mm+ widths are relatively uncommon.

I doubt this is an absolute - liftline for Peak chair at Whistler on a softish day, Red Mountain/Revelstoke on a powder day - probably untrue

Silver Star/Sun Peaks on a blue groomer probably true.

I'm quite happy to be perspirational -100mm+ skis aren't that bad on piste (unless its boilerplate), I managed a short radius lesson pretty well and on another occasion left everyone on piste skis for dead in a trees lesson.
snow report
offpisteskiing, Plake's now skiing in Chamonix off piste on modern gear. Dalbello Virus and Elan something fat when I saw him in the midi lift queue the other day.....
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
CEM, wasn't it Plake who said something along the lines of "you can't hide in the bumps" (can't remember the exact quote..) - which I tend to agree with - on piste you can get away with a lot, off piste on modern kit you can get away with a lot, but in the bumps... you can't hide...

I find that as long as you're not under a chair bumps are THE best place to hide - no beggar else seems to ski them. Given that, though, the mystery is how they form.
ski holidays
Well, if your around the 'Hof that'll be me and the missus!
snow conditions
Quote:

but in the bumps... you can't hide...

You can if the bumps are big enough Toofy Grin
snow report
fatbob wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:
Even in BC Canada 100mm+ widths are relatively uncommon.

I doubt this is an absolute - liftline for Peak chair at Whistler on a softish day, Red Mountain/Revelstoke on a powder day - probably untrue

Silver Star/Sun Peaks on a blue groomer probably true.

I'm quite happy to be perspirational -100mm+ skis aren't that bad on piste (unless its boilerplate), I managed a short radius lesson pretty well and on another occasion left everyone on piste skis for dead in a trees lesson.

I agree, but the vast majority of skiers are still on sub 100 mm skis. That's why I used the word "relatively". I'm not saying 100+ is uncommon in absolute terms. You see plenty out there, particularly on big powder days, and I prefer them myself in the right conditions.
latest report
CEM, I think you nicked that from someone's Epicski tagline, non? Happy
snow report
uktrailmonster, Funny was in Banff a while ago and you could see the diffrence in the resorts

Norquay had mostly 69-72 waisted skis
Lake Louse and Sunshine had mostly 74-92 waisted skis and Kicking horse and Revelstoke everything was above 100 Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Kicking Horse was pretty funny, I didn't see anything below about 100 apart from my dads apaches.

Lake Louise, most on piste skis... then after it dumped, same number of people on the mountain but barely any piste skis apart from lower down.
ski holidays
I liked this thread:

under a new name wrote:
Hee hee hee Laughing

So I was in one of my favourite rental shops (Europe, not Chamonix) earlier in the week. Discussion between the staff ongoing as to why there was a pair of Volkl Kuros (132mm waist) that had been left in the corner of the shop all week.

Shop owner gets involved giggling about how so many folks tip up with fat off piste skis and find themselves skiing on piste all the time.

He loves it as he wins twice.

1. he gets to sell silly fat skis at full price to tourists despite protesting that they're silly and

2. they then leave them in his shop as they spend all their time on his rental piste skis.

Ker-ching!

Fat skis, most of the time, for most people not in AK, UT, CO, WY are a fashion. (That was his opinion. He makes his living out of the business and is pretty clued up. Whether or not it's mine ((it is)) is not pertinent).

Discuss.

[Parlor, I'm sorry, you aren't invited]
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy