Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift Crash Avoidance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
narc wrote:
These ever bigger chair lifts do seem to have their issues on the exit though I'm not sure why the OP is snowploughing when space is at a premium leaving the chair.

I wouldn't normally snowplough off a lift, but in the position of nowhere to go, coming from a driving perspective, reducing the speed of an inevitable collision seems like a good plan... Not that lifts are high speed environments... If I'd been going marginally slower (i.e. tiny distance of snowplough) when I hit the boarder in the way, I would have remained upright - the bounce effect was what made me fall over!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Learn to fall.

Too many injuries are due to "crash avoidance" rather than the fall itself. Compose yourself right before the crash: tuck in your elbows and keep your knees together.

If you must snowplough, do so BEFORE the crash, not AT THE POINT of impact.

If you have to brace yourself off the peep who stand in the way, do so with your hands close to your chest. Let THEM cushion YOUR fall!

Repeat 3 times: ski AWAY from the unloading area!

(I have little patience for peeps standing near un-loading area, be it boarders sitting on snow or skiers in a group. They DESERVE to be crashed into!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In an ideal world, the crash wouldn't have happened, resorts would police the chairlift unloading area effectively and we could all ski away. I always do, and look for a large obstacle to plant myself behind before sitting to sort out issues. The whole point is I don't like crashing into people - I feel like I should be able to take effective avoiding action, regardless of whose fault it might be! That is my philosophy when I drive, and it has served me pretty well in my limited experience skiing. When actually on a piste, I have never collided with anyone while I've been moving. One member of my ski school class got me from above while I was standing in the line, and I managed to fall over standing still and push my OH over. Those are the only 2 collisions I've had up until my chairlift incident. If I'm going down a piste at the edge of my comfort zone, I will wait for a clear opportunity where there are a limited number of people to dogde, and will give anyone stationary on the slope a wide berth as they may move unpredictably, and be less able to avoid me if I get things wrong and start sliding! I have a similar philosophy as regards piste furniture/snow cannons, and will not initiate a turn where an unexpected loss of edge will lead to me sliding onto something. I was hoping to find out if there was a similar option available in a scenario I had never experienced before - other than robust Anglo-Saxon/French at the idiots who were in the way.

I was lighter than the person I hit - therefore I bounced off him, falling backwards. I can't see how that would have been prevented. Turning sideways on before impact would have caused a domino effect with at least one of the people next to me, and with me being the first faller, I would have ended up with someone of similar/larger size to me landing on me, probably at an awkward angle, causing pain/damage to me! Similar thoughts were in my mind - I was kind of hugging the boarder, and as I felt myself bouncing I let go so as not to pull someone on top of me - again pain avoidance!

When I fall on the piste, it almost always on my side/front (have a monster bruise on my thigh to prove it). My two fall and slides last week were due to my unerring ability to locate the one icy patch on an otherwise groomed piste - I slithered down until I could identify "down" and put my skis there to stop me! Everything else uncontrolled was generally me being thrown off balance by an unseen or incompletely avoided bump too quickly followed by another bump. Each time I was either standing but minus a ski (I try and have light bindings for my height/weight due to previous knee problems) or my belly with lots of snow where it doesn't belong. Once I was upright, but in a backwards snowplough (stationary) with both skis on, trying to work out how to return to a more conventional orientation without sliding down the steepish slope (OH has a burst mode collection of pictures of this - someone cuts close in front of me as I turn, my expression becomes a little worried, on to backwards snowplough on to re-orientation in less than co-ordinated manner. Sequence then ends with me looking up slope for a convenient moment to restart, and skiing past OH competently!)

When driving a car, it's quite natural to try and avoid crashes caused by other inconsiderate people, even if it won't cost you anything, it might still hurt - and the hassle isn't worth it even it is indisputably the other party's fault...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I normally ski dead straight for at least ten yards if I'm not on one edge of the chair or the other. I'd not snowplough - you're never going to pick up much speed. If someone's in the way I'd shout and if there's no space to the side I'd collide with them (assuming they were big enough to look after themselves). Stopping short is just going to make it even harder for the person following, and you'll be in less control of the inevitable collision.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I was lighter than the person I hit - therefore I bounced off him, falling backwards. I can't see how that would have been prevented.

If you had more speed, the momentum (speed x mass) might had been enough to knock him over, with you falling ON TOP...

(or, aim for the softer part of the body: waist instead of shoulder...)

Quote:

Stopping short is just going to make it even harder for the person following, and you'll be in less control of the inevitable collision.

Right on!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy