Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turns / carving question

Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia wrote:
Is it wrong to just ski and not think about the technicalities of it all? Laughing

Not at all. It's only got technical because of instructor-instructor chat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia wrote:
Is it wrong to just ski and not think about the technicalities of it all? :lol:

It's perfect. Unthinking competence in all situations /is/ the goal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
forwood, Fastman has all that in his DVDs - which is where the clips of each come from.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC wrote:
lesson post mortem

Shocked

I know we're supposed to always get more lessons and improve our skiing so we can have more fun on the mountain, but don't you think a one-off event such as death may make a difference to one's skiing goals?

wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that the 'up' movement at the moment of the turn essentially helped to unweight the skis and allow them to more easily fall into the fall line and then the follow up 'down' movement then allowed the skier to pressure the relevant edges and complete the turn. Is this a simplistic view what is being described above, or is my impression wrong?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, I never fail to marvel when I see you in those videos. I sit here and think if only I had the same level of skill, or at the very least some natural aptitude. I'd love to know how many folks could do the converging skis example and not fall base over apex as I would LOL
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
I was under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that the 'up' movement at the moment of the turn essentially helped to unweight the skis and allow them to more easily fall into the fall line and then the follow up 'down' movement then allowed the skier to pressure the relevant edges and complete the turn. Is this a simplistic view what is being described above, or is my impression wrong?

Sometimes that's a good thing to do, sometimes there are better options.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
the 'up' movement at the moment of the turn essentially helped to unweight the skis and allow them to more easily fall into the fall line

Up until my ski course back at the start of this season - this is how I executed most of my turns. But having the 'cross-through' taught has added another dimention to my skiing. Now I'm getting the hang of it, I feel a lot more in control of my skis: I'm still relatively early on in my skiing, so it's difficult to explain, but having my skis 'planted' / in full contact with the snow throughout the turn , rather than me 'popping' up to un-weight, seems to feel much more solid.

I think it was also one of the things that has enabled my carving breakthrough.

It is an odd feeling at first though ... trying to feel your legs 'suck-up' underneath you during the transition, then extending them through the turn (if that makes sense?)

[Edited for spelling]
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, actually I think it makes a lot of sense and having watched the videos and not quite understood and now reading that desciption I think I see what is happening with this method of turning. Now my understanding is that that the skis are being placed on their by means of the legs extending underneath the body from side to side and as they move under the body they bend more to absorb the movement and allow the body to remain at a constant 'distance' from the snow, yes?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:

Can you do a side slip?

How do you get the skis to slide? How do you get them to not slide?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, with old straight skis some form of unweighting was required at slower speeds to help turn them into the fall line. Shaped skis turn more easily but the principle still remains at much slower speeds unless very skilled on steering skills. Now the up and down movement at slower recreational speeds helps move the hips forward and across the skis to help the new turn, essentially a crossover.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, I'm no expert, but based on what I was being taught, that sounds about right ... hopefully one of the forum instructors will be along to give a bit more insight and to correct/confirm that I've explained it right.

The main thing I remember my instructor saying is to feel your legs 'suck-up' underneath you during the transition ... which seemed to be a pretty good cue for me to work with.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, little tiger, beat me to it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, Yup, I can side slip (wonderful technique - get out of jail free card etc.), and understand the theory about what happens to make the skis slide or not slide - edges in and flatten the skis etc. However, although I achieve the sliding and not sliding aspects of it and can go where I want with it whilst I am doing it I am not 'conscious' of what I am doing with the skis at the time of doing it - it just happens - almost instinctively - does that make sense?

So what you are all saying is that Up and Down are still good principles, but can lead to different outcomes?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What I am saying is that you don't need to "up-unweight" the skis to release the edges from the snow when you side slip. Nor do you need to go "down" to make the edges grip the snow - to engage them. You do not need to "move down to pressure" the edges for them to grip... All you need to do is tip a ski on edge, and as long as you're standing over the ski the edges will engage and work for you.

The edge release/engagement process in a turn is the same thing you do when you side slip. Flexion/extension has various purposes - but making the edges bite and turn is not really the main one.

Try starting a turn by simply releasing your edges the same as you do when you side slip. Just roll your knees downhill so your skis go off edge and to flat, and make sure you are forward balanced as you do. The skis will turn downhill all on their own, even when flat. If you tip them onto their downhill edges they will do it even faster. No up move is necessary.
Try traversing and release and engage your edges repeatedly. You can do this without a "down move to pressure the edges". In fact, going "down" does just the opposite; it actually momentarily unweights the skis and removes pressure from the edge (test it out on your bathroom scales). The real reason for going down during the turn (when doing up/down turns) is to provide the ability to do that up move.

Try to decouple the flex/extend from edge engagement and release - then you have more choices available - including flexing at transition and extending the skis towards the apex if that is your desire.

It also may help your "stiffness" - as you may be "trying to pressure the edges" rather than "trying to balance over the downhill ski's inside edge". I know - I've done it! This makes you try to "push" on the skis and the locked legs will cause stiffness. It also detracts from your ability to balance on the skis - which again adds to the "stiff" look. Rather, just tip your ski on edge, balance on it, and relax.
ski holidays
little tiger, Very well said.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy