Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Giettaz and Chalet La Giettaz - Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, there is some very good touring/steeps in the general vicinity...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:
Arno, there is some very good touring/steeps in the general vicinity...

Do you mind if I quote you on that when people ask me? I have to confess to being completely clueless about these things... Embarassed

It was when I was slightly struggling down one of the unpisted black runs here, after a heavy dump of snow, that I realised I should really take advantage of the cheap one-to-one ESF lessons before heading off-piste on my own! So, while I'm not really qualified to comment on the off-piste because I've not strayed too far and am just getting to grips with trees and the like, my instructor did tell me that people come to La Giettaz for the off-piste because it's north-facing and stays very fresh and, of course, because it's so quiet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was skiing the off piste in La Giettaz yesterday (24th March) and had a great day. It was proper spring snow conditions, I had given my skis a good waxing first which really helped. The pisted balck was fabulous as well, it really is a fabulous slope.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
pam w, Combloux looked like a great place to have a good mooch around the shops - maybe next time!

I think you'd prefer Megève!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
laundryman, I'm sure I remember someone on here a while back saying they saw plain old pine cones being sold in Megève for 10 Euros or something. I know Shimmy Alcott has a butler, porsche and a penchant for biscotti, but even she's more down to earth than that! wink But, actually, it really is a pretty place to have a drink and window shop (for pine cones).

TSquare, Did that slope today after the snow stopped, and you're right!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Miranda, do you think you might be able to help me with my quest for accomodation for next winter. See this thread for an idea of what I'm looking for

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60488

I realise your place is not in the Paradiski/3Vs/Portes Du Soleil/Grand Massif but it looks like there is plenty of interesting skiing to keep us busy for a couple of week trips and a few weekends.

If you migth be able to help please let me know

Thanks
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roger C, Absolutely - I saw your original post and thought then that it was a shame you weren't looking round here, as I think it would be a great solution for you.

Please feel free to PM me with more details... I look forward to hearing from you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you know what the skiing is like in April?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shimmy Alcott, has it been 2 years since you have been to La Giettaz ? doesn't time fly ! I am thinking going there in April, cannot understand how i missed that place so far ,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are staying there around third week in March, really looking forward to it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowdrop, we went last year aswell Very Happy

The reviews on Trip Advisor are good too - Miranda must be shelling out a fortune in backhanders Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, yes, our pimping funds look a lot healthier in your absence this year (though the opposite is true of bar takings of course wink)

Pamski, really looking forward to meeting you too!

Kesi, an old question from August I see, but in answer I would say that in our first year here (average season), April skiing was lovely. Last year (our second season), April skiing was fairly non-existent (as it was in lots of places of course!) Fantastic conditions this year with lots of snow and cold temperatures, so hopefully this spring it will be lovely too. The lift at the bottom of La Giettaz will close on the 1st of April irrespective of conditions because it is such a quiet area (great if you're happy to get the snowshoes on and ski down with the place to yourself, not so good if you need mechanical uplift!) but there are a number of different lifts within 15 minutes of our place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Miranda, I was at your place for a 4 night short break the week before last. I should have done a search! Just to say we had a great time and hope to get back over to your place again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PaulS, so lovely to hear that snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The lift at the bottom of La Giettaz will close on the 1st of April irrespective of conditions because it is such a quiet area

and I think the same will be true of much of the Arly Valley.
ski holidays
scheduled closing dates in the area are:

Flumet - 6th April
Crest Voland - 13th April
Notre Dame de Bellecombe - 13th April
Praz sur Arly - 15th April
Combloux - 15th April
Rocherbrune - 15th April
Cote 2000 - 22nd April
La Clusaz - 30th April
snow conditions
Just coming to the end of a week here in La Giettaz which has been very enjoyable. First day we explored the area up from Le Plan and down to Combloux, it was Sunday and quite busy and soft snow. Monday it snowed nearly all day and my OH and a friend who was staying locally for a couple of nights tested the area and all the blacks while I did a bit first thing, met up with friend's wife and we got tucked up in a mountain restaurant for a rather long lunch. Tuesday, on our own again, and with the sun out and the result of all the snow the day before we did practically all the runs in the Port de Mont Blanc area and particularly enjoyed Jorace and the other red over there. Very bare going down to the bottom of La Jaillet and it has looked even worse as we have been past in the car the last couple of days. Really only went down there so we could tick it off and know where it is .
Wednesday we went to Megeve to meet friends, via the Princesse lift from Combloux which was about half an hour away by car - its been brilliant sun all week apart from Monday - which was very easy and went over to Cote 2000, worked our way back, lunch on the St Gervais side and back to the Princesse lift. Thursday - great day, drove over the Col to La Clusaz and La Balme. Straight up to the top there and then before it got too late and therefore soft we skied the La Clusaz side above the town before returning to La Balme. On the drive back just above La Giettaz and Chalet Giettaz the road was closed for a bit as there had been a small avalanche which had landed on the road and was being cleared. Friday, today, we drove to Les Contamines which was around 45 minutes I think - always enjoyable there and not at all crowded - went over to Hautluce and all those lovely runs over there.
We have PDS season passes so have been using our reciprocal days for the last three days.

Very comfortable staying at Chalet Giettaz, we have apt 10 which has plenty of room for the two of us, sun streams through the windows all day long, masses of storage space, we have eaten in the bar a couple of evenings, once in the village and once at the little hotel at Le Plan - the accommodation there is a little strange according to our friends but the dinner we had was excellent. The snack bar at the bottom of the chair lift in Le Plan must be the cheapest place to eat in the Alps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy