Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice on new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all new to the forum so be gentle please!! Have skied for about 3years - 14 weeks in total & have had a touring set up -Black diamond Gurus/178cm + Dynafit comfort bindings/ Dynafit zeus boots. Have done all my skiing in these for the last year - touring/moguls/piste/offpiste.
Height - 188cm/ weight 72kg ( tall & skinny)
I bought this set up mainly on the advice of the shop staff in Chamonix at the time as I didn`t know much about what I needed ( not that I do now!!)
They did give me the right stuff based on what I told them at the time ( mainly for getting to the foot of climbs). However now I want to do a bit more challenging skiing.
Ihave the chance to sell my set up to someone & was contemplating replacing it.
Very roughly
My skiing - as a climber probably 20% longish tours/approaching routes
- 30% touring Scotland/the alps
- 20% piste skiing
- 30% lift served offpiste
Planning on doing 3 more skiing courses this year. SO trying to improve as fast as my wallet will allow. My instructor suggested that I might be better with Volkl mantras as they would be a lot better offpiste than the gurus & still OK on piste & a lot better on crud/powder.
My thoughts were something along the lines of
Skis Mantras/ Scott missions?? ( have read that the tight turn radius of the missions is a bit of a problem offpiste?)- What length might be suitable.
BD Method AT boots
Dynafit bindings again - I like these & have had no probs. ( Is there an advantage to the FT dynafits for the extra £100)
I know that this setup is about 1kg heavier than the current one but am happy to sweat more uphill for better skiing performance.
Apologies for the many questions. Any advice much appreciated. Hope thats enuff info.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smac, I have never found tight radius a problem off-piste on my Missions - in fact I can all-too easily find myself doing turns with GS-like radius. I am 180cm and 85kg (so shorter than you and overwieght). My Missions are 179. I really like them - they suit me well. They are in their 4th season, and I have no plans to change them. However, I suspect I might by something with a more curved lead in on the shovel if I were buying next season - there was an occasion when I found that I needed to deliberately weight the back of the ski in deep powder on a relatively shallow slope, in order to avoid nosing in. Wierd. Really only happened on one day, though.

Welcome to snowheads.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smac, 14 weeks in 3 years?...way to go...haven't skied this years mantras or missions but know guys who are on them and have heard good reports...you could also look at black crow navis and marker dukes (the AT set up i am on) or barons (lower din so lighter than dukes) which would be a cracking set up...there are so many good options out there that its hard to choose a bad set up...i'm sure arno, parlor, bobinch, fatbob, clarky999 etc will be along and will be able to give you more options and better advice than i can...

okbye
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just had day one on new movement goliath sluffs. I'm a movement fan anyway and they did not disappoint (hard pack early on, softening to nice spring snow). i toyed with getting deenafee on them but didnt want to shell out for new boots so just transferred fritschi freeride +. My profile is pretty much the same as you (sans the alps bit sadly, and slightly less touring), and these will be my everyday setup, most/all my skiing is Scotland (i am a fair bit heavier than you). You can get good deals from telemark pyrenees right now.

If you're in Scotland you could send your wishlist as above to mountain spirit in aviemore and/or braemar mountain sports in braemar and aviemore, and they'll not steer you wrong on setup advice - they wont just sell you the dearest gear neither. Mountain spirit tend towards movement and g3 skis, while braemar stock k2 and black diamonds iirc. Both i think do dynafit.

Also check out freezeproshop online (and Edinburgh). some terrific lookin deals on 4frnt, Armada and a few other skis - dont know the skis but the shop is good

good luck
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mantra would be a great choice, solid and nice and light! skis so well every where! I'm still a bigger fan of a regular cambered ski rather than a rocker!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy