Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do new (mail order) skis arrive ready to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Ready to go or do they need a wax and edge?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some do, some don't. Most will come with a reasonable factory wax that I've heard you're good to ski on for a few days before applying your own wax. Some skis will come without edges prepared, particularly race skis where the skier will want his/her own custom edges set, but I believe these are in the minority. It's probably worth touching up the edges with a very fine diamond file if you have one when you do get them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would never ski new skis without either hotboxing or applying 5-6 coats of wax.

Also something to be wary of is that the bases are often not flat.

As an indication my Volkl Racetiger cheater GS skis arrived and when I took them to a race prep place
1) Edge high
2) inconsistent base bevel - different on different sides and along sides - kid of wavy and different on different sides.

They are now nice and slick with wax and with a tapered base bevel and 3 degree edge (never measured the original but as base was so off I bet it was also inconsistent)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Higs

Iron in 2 coats of this on new skis:

Then another 2 coats of this (more if you have time):

It's excellent wax. One of the few you can actually iron in dried wax again (once).

I get mine from Spyderjon.

You could ski them without waxing and it wouldn't be the end of the world. But I'd wax them. And not let a shop do them.

Their site:
http://www.dominatorwax.com/newzoom.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I got mine I was advised that they needed wax before used too much in anger, but that to ski them once or twice would scrub off the factory wax nicely and make the new wax go on better - whether this is magic snake oil stuff I don't have the expertise to know - its only what I was told.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Higs, check out http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/22/34/, scroll down to new ski's, will give you the steps to zoom heaven Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haha. When I get new skis I normally do 100 or so days on them before I think about waxing them. Geeks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, no wonder you ski so slowly
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
When I got mine I was advised that they needed wax before used too much in anger, but that to ski them once or twice would scrub off the factory wax nicely and make the new wax go on better - whether this is magic snake oil stuff I don't have the expertise to know - its only what I was told.

Hot wax and scrape will clean off the old stuff
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Higs, my Zeniths arrived from wintershack dundee with a fresh wax and edges in tip top condition. I gave em another wax with the Zoom Lime bikeandsnow recommends above, (also sourced from spyderjon )and they are good to go! Very Happy

And tomorrow morning they'll get their first tatste of VT snow Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:
Haha. When I get new skis I normally do 100 or so days on them before I think about waxing them. Geeks.

I agree! I don't think there is any need to start waxing brand new skis, Used my bacons for a week this year been a good 2 months since ive used them and i have no problems taking them back out to the alps in the state they are in...

i've personally never had a problem with the factory wax or tuning...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor wrote:

I agree! I don't think there is any need to start waxing brand new skis, Used my bacons for a week this year been a good 2 months since ive used them and i have no problems taking them back out to the alps in the state they are in...

i've personally never had a problem with the factory wax or tuning...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
parlor, no wonder you ski so slowly

At least my skis get a 100 days on them. I heard that you buy a new pair once you've done 10 days on yours. Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor, shhh, you're ruining my chances of getting a cheap pair of barely-skied Wailers for Christmas 2011!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wink the wailer 105s will be my touring ski for a while I think. the w112s will be my resort ski. that's my quiver so i probably need to start selling some skis...
ski holidays
Arno, I'll swap you a waxing iron for the Lotus 120. Wink

Sideshow_Bob, get in line.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy