Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for 1st set of skis and boots, Salomon X-Scream's?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Great forum, full of info, which for a newbie like me is going to come in very useful Very Happy

Family have finally got me on some snow and im loving it.

Booking up to go to Niederau in Jan '11, until then i will keep progressing at Snozone MK and Snow n Rock Hemel.

Going to buy some second user skis, cant justify new for a first set.

Seem to be drawn to Salomon, well those who have got me into skiing are all Salomon users.

Seen some X-Scream's, having read reviews on Screams they are SUPPOSED to be good for beginers upto a reasonably high level.

Im looking for something that is all mountain, and pretty forgiving! But i'd like it to be able to use them as i progress.

Done 2hrs at MK this week and im finally out of plough turns and skiing 'properly' (well kinda Embarassed ), plus towards the end of the session my feet were getting closer and closer together too. So im getting there...

Im 5ft 11" at 13st, physically fit and lean.

I have been looking at 169 X-Scream skis, does that sound about right?

What should i be looking at with regards radius and centre/tip widths? This i am trying to understand better!

As for boots they'll probably be used ones too, though i'd get a new liner moulded to me.

I have been borrowing a pair of Salomon Sport 6.0's, old but barely used, been in a wardrobe for about 10yrs!! It is far better than using Snozones battered boots that have had hundreds of pairs of feet in them all day every day!

Been looking at Salomon (suprise suprise rolling eyes ) Mission series.

What should i be looking for in a boot at my level?

The list of questions could go on, but if you've read this far thanks for your time and your advice will be greatly received!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in no way an expert - but if it were me I'd be concentrating on getting the right boots first.

Unless you're very lucky, I would think going down the 2nd hand route might be risky. If it were me I'd be tracking down a reputable bootfitter and spending your cash here.

Just my 2p. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd agree, get the boots sorted and comfortable and then move onto some decent planks if you've got the budget then, guys like CEM in bicester (www.solutions4feet.com) will choose your boot for you!

Just out of interest you said your feet were getting closer together, you seem to be getting there, just bear in mind that skiing with your feet clamped together is only useful in a mogul field Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ItsSnowJoke wrote:
Hi,
Seen some X-Scream's, having read reviews on Screams they are SUPPOSED to be good for beginers upto a reasonably high level.

They were an OK design. Ten years ago.

Quote:

Im 5ft 11" at 13st, physically fit and lean.
I have been looking at 169 X-Scream skis, does that sound about right?

No. That sounds like you're applying 2006-era carver sizing to a 1999-design all mountain ski. You'll be giving up edgehold on ice, float in powder and stability at speed. In other words, you're making the XScream into a beginner ski. A BAD beginner ski because it will not initiate turns and finish them like a proper beginner ski will.

Quote:

What should i be looking at with regards radius and centre/tip widths

15-20 m radius /centre width 72mm-77mm/ tips 120mm+

If you get this, then 170cm sizing is possible.

Quote:

What should i be looking for in a boot at my level?

15-19 mm space behind the achilles tendon in the bare shell (no liner).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As others said, boots make the difference more. Get those first.

Salomon make nice boots. But I don't rate their skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowheads. snowHead second hand skis are a good idea, but you can do MUCH better with second hand skis than getting such an ancient design as the X screams. Even I know that, and I know naaaaaaaaaaarthing! I have bought two pairs of skis second hand, advertised here on snowheads, both far more recent. One £100, the other £85.

But don't get second hand boots. Getting a new liner moulded for you would be expensive, and would only make sense if the shells were the right size (i.e not too big). As advised above, get them properly fitted. the two key things to invest in at this stage is boots and lessons. Best not let yer mates teach you OR flog you their old gear.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replys.

Going to buy some new boots, and second user skis, i know your right.

Looking at Salomon Mission CF RS', Mission RS 8's and Impact CS 8's, all on sale at snow and rock at what looks like the best prices.

I cant see any info that shows the difference between the different mission models though, other than the 8's rrp was higher than the CF. Does the mission have the heat molded liner, or is that just on the impact upwards? (and is that what CS denotes?)

As for skis i think i will look at second user stuff, and pay attention to the for sale section here.

Thanks for the specs comprex! Struggling to find a ski that meets ALL that criteria, but i have some ball park figures now, which i didn't before.

Friends aren't trying to flog me their old tat, they have given me a few bits to get me started, simply cause it was better than hiring or using battered boots from snozone MK when i was having lessons.

Incidently, my mates dont have or rate Salomon ski's either, just boots.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dont fall into teh snobbery trap that crops up here sometimes - there's nothing wrong with Salomons or any other mainstream brand at your level
Much of the dislike is because the individuals have gripes against big corporate companies
Enjoy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ItsSnowJoke, it were me I'd forget the make / colour / design / etc. of the boots, and get the ones that fit the best and suit your level of skiing.

Different boots are designed for different shaped feet (high/low arch, narrow/wide forefoot, narrow/wide heel ... etc., etc, etc.), and also different types/level of skier - so unless your an expert on boots, trying to second-guess or pick which is going to best is going to be tricky

A decent fitter will ask about your skiing level and type of skiing you do, assess your feet, and only then will he/she come-up with a short-list for you to try on.

Also, I'd allow plenty of time when going boot shopping and try not to go at a busy time ... nothing worse to be rushed, or have a fitter that is rushed!

Have fun!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy