Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How could piste maps be improved?

Poster: A snowHead
altis, So I'm not the only one who would like them to be an actual map with contours. The pictorial ones look like some thing from a Tolkien book. I hate the bits where they have to warp the perspective in order to show both sides of the mountain on one picture.

Yellow Pyranha, I saw a hankie map in Meribel this year, although I'd tend not to try and use it as both a map and a hankie!

queen bodecia, I liked the max gradient signs in LaThuile. I'm just glad I didn't see the 72' sign at the top of the short black just above the village untill the second time I went down it!

adrian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John, where are you headed?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How did I know Iphone was going to be mentionned...and by who... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agt wrote:
... I'm just glad I didn't see the 72' sign at the top of the short black just above the village untill the second time I went down it!...

I think that must have been percent, not degrees. I don't think it's possible to ski a 72 degree slope Shocked

( I KNOW it's not possible for me). Laughing

Actually I don't think it's possible to piste such a slope either. There was a thread about this the other day.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler, Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
agt, I did see it and I took the blue down, a sedate 36%. However, I coped with the 65% blacks 3 and 33 and 62% black 2. There's a big difference when you get over 70% I think, it looked near vertical!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agt, ah yes here it is:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62739&start=40

Apols if you meant percent anyway. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

A sample base map I made - very much a work in progress (and don't have the more recent versions to hand just now) for maps to use on Winterhighland next season that will show lift status and possibly for some areas run status.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, I like that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland, that's terrific!

I think the most useful are those great big boards at the top of a lift, which you can read without having to get yer specs out. Very helpful for the more elderly skier. Fortunately I mostly ski in an area where I know where everything is - and if I go somewhere else I try to make sure there's somebody else who has the eyesight to read the piste map. problem is, if it's my no 2 son, which it often is, I don't trust him to choose a sensible route. Since he tried to get me down the "piste perdu" in Val D'Isere in a white out and eventually confessed that it wasn't actually a "piste", in my meaning of the term.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottish piste maps are just vague suggestions as to where a piste is created by dipping a worm in paint and letting it wriggle over the paper Laughing Laughing

Virtual maps : upload to your goggles and project a HUD in the lens or virtually just in front of the skier out of the immediate eyeline.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Axsman, 3V, Mottaret, just in time for a big front to move in bringing cloud and rain. Cosmic.

You?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, 3V, Val T ditto. Although at 2700 it's forecast to fall as snow! Laughing

Was in Mottaret (at the Alpen Ruitor) last month - had a great time. Watch out for the Beer and Genepi prices though. Over £20 for one of each! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wasn't there a google street view of a piste? I know it wouldn't be a major help when out and about but would be useful when planning a day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, so not exactly slumming it, like your style. Will be heading high each day. What forecast are you reading? Snow-forecast has it snow at around 2000
latest report
Dr John, Yes Snow-forecast is where I was looking. I just put 2700 because that's the 'mid' level at VT (and probably where we'll be skiing).

My membership just expired so I can only see 6 days out, but then I don't think the 9 day forecasts are very accurate anyway.

This trip will be a tad more economical as we are self catering. However with the two axsettes in tow, the bar bills should be truly wallet damaging Laughing

I'll have my netbook with me so will post on conditions up high as I find them. snowHead
latest report
kitenski wrote:
get rid of them, stop the brutal grooming and have a huge 'in bounds' ski anywhere resort Smile

Quite. I like the idea a few US resorts have which is to designate lifts "Experts Only", "Advanced Only" etc.
snow report
Didn't someone post on here recently about the Serre Chevalier piste map being available on a pair of boxers? Not terribly convenient up the mountain though.

I've got a sort of 3D fold up Verbier map in plastic, I think it was free with a very early Fall Line Skiing Magazine. Doesn't look very practical though.
ski holidays
Axsman, will also try and post updates, t'internet connection and beer allowing.
snow conditions
Dr John, Your netbook does beer? Coool! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Axsman, it's the macbook beer app, best thing they've ever done
snow conditions
Soll did a plastic 3D map when we were there a few years ago & it was excellent Very Happy

It was slightly bulkier than a normal map but a million times better than the normal, flimsy paper versions you get everywhere else.
ski holidays
Axsman, Sorry, I did mean %.

adrian
snow report
Ideally the resorts would give their data to OSM - that way you could have contour maps, resorts comparisons, vector based map software, geotaged photos and whatever hasn't been though of yet.

andy, Very Happy

Winterhighland, is that a 3d model?
ski holidays
I just ordered one of these for the EOSB.

http://store.snow-forecast.com/products/wipeout-piste-map-on-a-lens-cloth
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
Megamum wrote:
ringingmaster, I like those as an idea, I wonder how up to date they keep them.

I think they are new this year, so time will tell.

Hi there, I know that the wipe-outs are kept completely up to date, as you pointed out they are are new this year and all the wipe-outs have the 09-10 maps on them. The stock will be sold off, and new maps 10-11 used for next season, with more resorts included too... JulesSki Cool
snow conditions
If you are thinking of buying one for EoSB, there is an EASTER DEAL: BUY 2 GET 1 FREE Buy 2, automatically get 1 free, any resort... if you buy them on ebay:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Wipeout-Store

[quote]bladeskier,
Quote:

I just ordered one of these for the EoSB.
snow report
These new type of interactive piste maps by gPixs360 are pretty good and are the best I've seen yet. You can even load up videos of the runs! http://bit.ly/8Z8VXw Obviously of no use at all when you're out in resort, but great for pre ski trip nerding!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wonder if SH's approached the wipeout company with a bulk order how much we could get knocked off them?
snow report
In the case of Les Crosets they could start by actually putting the runs on the bleedin' thing. Found a black run last week and an itineraearararary somewhere in the vicinity of the Grande Conche chair that were nowhere to be seen on the map.
snow conditions
For your consideration, the piste map for Broken River and Craigieburn in NZ. Got to love a map that rates it's runs from Easy to Suicidal.
Linky
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
I wonder if SH's approached the wipeout company with a bulk order how much we could get knocked off them?

Actually, funny you should say that! Jules is a friend of mine and this is her very first year trading with Wipe-out. In the spirit of helping out a small business and raising some dosh for SHs we're talking to admin about getting something sorted on the EoSB page, however, in the meantime, Jules has put up a Snowheads EoSB special on her e-bay shop that includes free delivery at the EoSB by yours truely (for a small donation to SH coffers for every one delivered). I'll put it up on Buy / Sell etc but seemed worthwhile giving you the link here.... seeing as you asked so nicely.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110511706705

Getting very excited about EoSB..... less than a month to go!
snow report
sarep, Wonderful if you are going to the EoSB!! Well done Wipeout, I would expect that to be popular. [Cheeky]I expect to be back in VT one day - can I have one at that price if I send you an envelope to post it to me[/Cheeky]
ski holidays
Megamum, oh go on then! go ahead and purchase it and we'll send it to France!!! rolling eyes cheeky indeed....
latest report
This is THE next giant leap for the humble piste map http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63279
ski holidays
If you want a Wipeout piste map on a goggle wipe cloth for the EoSB, then order them on ebay before 21 April for £4 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110511706705 and I'll deliver them to you in your apartment.

Otherwise I will have a limited number of extras available at 5 Euro for cash. They are getting quite popular.

Sare
snow conditions
DO AWAY WITH PISTES would be a good start Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I liked the fact that on the main chairlifts in Breckenridge (I’m sure other places might do this too, I think it’s a great idea) there is piste map built into a panel running across the safety bar.
snow conditions
Gazzza, what a spiffing idea. Signposting at the top of lifts is generally woeful as well, certainly an area for significant improvement in every resort I've been to.
latest report
Dr John, best signposting I've experienced is all over the 3V. The worst is Verbier. (The Swiss do have some Achilles heels, don't they, another glaring example being Geneva Airport.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy