Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Ski Holiday burn out exist or is it just me?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm with Markymark29 on this one.

25 years of skiing, 40 odd days on snow per season in recent years - and this season 42 days on snow so far, including at least 1 day every weekend since 12th December. I'm beginning to sweat about this weekend as Yad Moss won't be open as the tow track is now broken following the thaw. What will I do with myself?! Sad Scotland beckons...

Suffice to say, I'm not suffering from burn out but suffering from still not doing enough skiing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bargainbill, Don't worry, won't be doing a beach holiday yet, might try scuba diving though! Corduroy skiing was never our thing, we liked to go out after the morning panic - it's our only holiday. We've never experienced crowded runs or lift queues, if we went out earlier we would just be back earlier! As my kids keep saying, there is a big world out there, perhaps it's just time to see some of it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

As pam w recommends, we will probably not bother with season passes next year but simply buy passes on the days we wish to ski, in the resorts we wish to ski.

No, I definitely buy a season pass, at a discount before end November, costs the same as two weeks normal pass. That way i can go out for 30 minutes and decide it's rubbish, or all day, or not at all, or whatever I fancy. But friends who come and stay are often busy people, got a week off, not terribly fit, not terribly brilliant skiers (so it's tiring, even on easy pistes) and not terribly young, either. Today, at 1.30 pm when the snow was deteriorating fast, and we stopped for lunch after our friend had finished his 1.30 hour private lesson, I suggested that we come home, put the table and umbrella out in front of the apartment and have a lazy lunch and siesta. They accepted with alacrity - despite feeling slightly guilty about "wasting" several hours of a ski pass. I was pretty sure they wouldn't really want to struggle with even slushier conditions this afternoon; they'd had enough, and we all enjoyed a lazy long lunch in the sun much more than we'd have enjoyed the skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you thought of seeing a good hypnotist? I fear your problems are all in the mind...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there a cure for post-ski depression? This time last week I was on the piste for the last day. Now it feels like I haven't been anywhere.

Oh well, 50 weeks and counting...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sharon1953, I have never felt near to ski holiday burn out. That is despite having to sort out our three year and eight year old before getting anywhere near a slope.
I agree with bargainbill, in that you always have to be pushing yourself. There is always another skiing boundary to break through.
Add to that the beauty of the mountains and beer on tap then what more could you want in a holiday?
It beats any beach holiday hands down.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sharon1953, Just picked up on this thread and I know exactly how you feel.
I have changed my attitude this year however and now think of it as being MY holiday - not a bootcamp getting up early and rushing around.

This year in Austria I decided I wasnt skiing on the Wednesday - my husband and children looked at me as if I had two heads! No, I went to the spa in the hotel, had a massage, used the sauna and steam bath and lolled around reading my book and watching the snowflakes fall in the garden outside. A jug of Gluhwein assited the relaxation process no end.

I thorougly enjoyed my last two days skiing after re-charging my batteries. We've booked ten days in Breckenridge next year. I shall probably ski for seven and Ive already checked out the local spas and shopping for my days off. You have to be a little bit selfish sometimes and do what YOU feel like doing! Otherwise you come back and dont feel like you've had a real break.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953,... PUKE.......................

okbye
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have to say I kondof agree with snowpatrol - assuming you only do one week of skiing a year, why waste it doing things you can do in the UK?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Have to say I kondof agree with snowpatrol - assuming you only do one week of skiing a year, why waste it doing things you can do in the UK?

Things like skiing? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not so easy to just go skiing (apart form in a fridge, which doesn't count) form most parts of the UK. Unless you live in central Scotland (I mean in terms of North/South, too hungover to articulate it properly atm), it's not like you can just head out for a day trip without incurring reasonable expense.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are bored or burn out in just a week you are doing it wrong. Lots of people relocate and take jobs just so that they can ski more and after 60, 80 or a hundred days a season are not bored. Get off the pistes, do some touring and off piste skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not everyone enjoys skiing. Difficult for some of us to understand. And all of us will one day ski for the last time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the opposite problem, after 20 years of skiing I now normally get in 8-12 weeks a year, ski most days and still want more. I mix things up quite a bit, I enjoy all conditions, ski with all types, enjoy on and off piste, ski touring, bumps, slush, powder, first lift,sunset lift, cold, wind, sun, warmth, trees, steeps, a little crust, crud, gates, jumps, fooling around, speed, short turns, carved turns, out of control turns, power fields, great scenery, sking when it's dumping,a little cross country, love skiing with my 4 year old, a little teaching, done instructor course, travelled europe, nz, us, canada. Now thinking how to live in the hills for good.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jennyski, Have done similar in the past when my son broke his hand, spent the day taking photographs and sight-seeing so he wasn't on his own and enjoyed the change. Just want to thank everyone for their suggestions and...we have booked flights to go skiing...going back to our fave resort...fave hotel, DIY. Now saving hard and counting the sleeps!!! And to add the icing to the cake, we have just found out we are going to be Grandparents for the first time on 24th Feb...so a tiny ski outfit will be on the shopping list in 3 years! Very Happy
ski holidays
sharon1953, now there's a reason to become enthusiastic again, a grandchild to tale skiing.
snow report
sharon1953, Ha! Knew you would!
I've had to spend my skiing money on a pair of tickets for daughter and boyfreind to come home for xmas from NZ this year - they've extended their visa for two years ( his parents haven't helped with the cost, but have demanded that they spend xmas day with them, go figure (anyone remember a previous thread? http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34903&highlight=))
So I'm going to be envious of everyone's ski holidays this coming season.
If you start feeling bored, think of me:)
latest report
sharon1953, Perhaps you lack any challenge at the moment, why not try a different sort of skiing or snow sport, something to raise the interest level again. i.e. thinking, telemarking, touring, or even, heaven forbid, boarding!!
ski holidays
sharon1953, please do report back after your trip next year - will be interesting to see if the "problem" happens again. If it does, maybe try something different (e.g. as was said above, short trips - say Wed-Sun) or even give it up altogether. Smile
latest report
Hi sharon1953 . . Have you thought about quick couple days in scotland when the centres are open for skiing ? Or if you stayed longer at least theres plenty alternative things to do on a rest day. . . I mentioned on other thread how I took up boarding gave up triathlons/running as I developed a condition with regard to my breathing. .I was fed up with the running anyway mentally burnt out . . So if your knees are a problem keep skiing but get good rests . In my case I needed a new sport Very Happy And I love it
snow report
great last season thread.. often on a lads trip i feel ive had enough but thats down to ludicrous boozing normally, also at 7 am i look out the window, if its a whiteout im getting another 3 hours quality sleep ! .. if you get bored go with friends that always makes the whole thing seem like a new deal ..
snow conditions
Good to see thread burn out doesn't exist - this one still going from last season . . .
latest report
Megamum, Plenty of challenge in our camp, we changed from skiing to Snowbiking 2 years ago, when our knees couldn't take anymore. Never laughed so much in our lives, we spend nearly as much time stopping to answer questions about them as we do using them! Had a 2 hour lesson to learn to use them, then you get a license that allows you to hire or use them anywhere they are allowed. Austria being the main place as this is where they are made. We are limited to where the rental stations are, as they are too expensive to buy, but we like Obertauern anyway, and that's where we learnt!

Looking back, I think it was the inconvenience of where we went that caused the temporary fall-out with skiing, the bikes are great on chair lifts, but have to be dismantled and carried on gondolas and bubbles, and they are not light to carry!
The hotel we are going back to, we can ski into the boot room and there is only one lift that isn’t a chair ! Very Happy

snowflo, we checked out Scotland one year, more expensive and takes longer than popping over to Europe! Shock

Short trips of 4 nights would be good, but airlines from Manchester only Sat-Sat and hotels won't accept short stays in high season, having said that we are going low season (Snowbikes perform best in slush anyway) but like I say, no midweek flights.

30 long weeks to wait Sad
latest report
sharon1953, congratulations on the potential new arrival. When you've spent entire weeks hardly getting skis on your feet because your baby sitting, it will all seem different. wink
snow conditions
Agree with bargainbill. Sounds like you've just hit a plateau with your skiing. Could try another snow sport as suggested above or try developing an excelling at another existing skill.

Or perhaps try mixing things up. Try picking something else to do for the summer. I do some windsurfing/scuba diving in the summer and my skiing in the winter (obviously Neh Neh).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy