Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton, 31 Jan - 7 Feb 2004

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here is a quick little report from my ski holiday in St Anton last week with the DickieTours gang, which I put together as an email postcard to my friends. Well, I consider you snowHeads as my friends now, so here it is.

Holiday was fantastic - one of the best ever, at St Anton in Austria, where the world cup is this coming week. They had 11 days of snow before we got there, but it was sunny without a cloud in the sky all the time we were there, although a few top lifts closed early on cos of high wind. Fantastic, couldnt have been better. Hotel Montjola very good, far better than we are used to, although a bit far out of town to be bothered to go out after dinner. Got a few pictures, but not scanned etc yet, so you'll have to wait.

Managed 7 days of skiing, not the usual 6, as we were in resort by 9:30 am Saturday cos of the ridiculously early flight. Some of the time legs not working properly (probly tired) but some of the time skiing fantastic - felt I was the best in the world one afternoon and could ski anything, dancing down the slopes in the sun. They have a speed trap, on a not particularly fast bit, and I was clocked at 78.86 kph. Thats quite some speed on your feet. Its nice to know just how fast i go.

However, one afternoon, could have been seriously hurt, when my bindings fell apart and let me fall about 200m down a steep face into a gully. Luckily the snow was soft and I missed all the rocks and trees. Not happy with that or the €200 cost of having to get new bindings. I have fallen further in the past at LAke Louise, but on a flat groomed icy black piste with nothing to stop the slide till teh bottom. This one was steep semi offpiste with rocks and trees. To start with it was just annoying, cos the snow was soft, but after a while I began to wonder if I would ever stop, or hit something hard as I was bouncing and tumbling down the mountain. I felt OK when I stopped, but was winded so couldnt move or say anything for a while which was worrying to the others, although I thought I was OK. It was only after I was all sorted, and looked around to ski on that I realised just how far I had fallen, and how near to rocks and cliffs I was.

St Anton is my favourite ski place, of all those I've been to before. In fact, St Anton has gone up in my views from the best I've been to, to the best in the world ! Although the snow in Alpey Dee last year was a bit better, it cannot match for the available skiing or the nightlife and jollyness. The apresski in St Anton has to be experienced to be believed. I have learnt that I can ski while pissed. The last night I dont even remember going back to the hotel. It starts up the mountain mid afternoon and about 8:00pm its time to go home, with still about half a kilometre to ski down the mountain in the dark, after dancing on the tables at The World Famous Mooserwirt ! I have also learned that I cannot do the moonwalk in ski boots. Other fun and games to be had in the apres ski include bar diving and human skittles.

All together now, with the actions, Einz, zwei drei vir, a Pizza Hut, a Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut.... MacDonalds, MacDonalds..... Ah, that Europop trash techno oompah music in the Moose......
Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have fond memories of St. Anton from 1992 and 1993. It's where I joined the SCGB - the repping service was wonderful. And as for the Mooserwirt - glad it hasn't changed!

It's not a begginers resort though, hence didn't consider going back until Vic could do it justice. Shame that SCGB is now no longer allowed to Rep there, it disuades me from going back as I do enjoy skiing with reps & their apres ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Im gonna be in St Anton for one week from the 21st Feb. Have ski'd Italy and France but last two years have been in Austria, it beats them all........Soll, a party town and some pretty extensive ski-ing...........Saalbach, which was a lot more cosmopolitan than Soll but not too expensive with some glorious ski-ing. If anyone is going there, be sure to check out the run down to Leogang. So this year we are looking forward to the challenging ski-ing and the legendary apres ski that St Anton has to offer. I've read conflicting reports regarding lengthy queues and any other info on this subject would be greatly appreciated!..............
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No bad queuing while we were there Mugwump. Worst would be perhaps 5 minutes in th emorning to go up the bottom cable car. And the occasional 5 mins at the Zammermoos lift out the bottom of happy valley.

But otherwise splendidly queue free all week. Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 14-02-04 11:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awe Martyn, thanx...... I been lookin forward to this trip for a long time and am glad to hear your views! I will post my findings on here when all is done!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Embarassed Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHeads Gonzo! snowHead

I don't understand your 'post' (no change there then!) but perhaps you could enlighten us? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads Gonzo! snowHead

I don't understand your 'post' (no change there then!) but perhaps you could enlighten us? Toofy Grin

Probably memories of skiing down drunk very late in the evening from the Krazy Kangeroo Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hibernia, ah I see. A snowHead of few words Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
martyn c, Good stuff. We need more of this kind of "from the heart stuff" IMHO
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, except martyn c hasn't been around for a couple of years. But you can talk to yourself if you wish Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
martyn c, where did you fly to to get there that early!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy