Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Various airline ski carriage costs

Poster: A snowHead
The baggage charges do seem to be away for the airlines to get money out of us skiers, until one of them caves in and does a uturn - think of the sales they will get.

However, last year we flew regional airport to SLC with KLM, tickets cost £650 each including free ski carriage as we booked the tickets early enough. This was the best price obtainable and after we booked they continued to increase. Shocked The long haul and internal US flight was with Delta, which wasnt too bad.

This year I've recently booked the same route, this time on a Delta flight, which uses a KLM shuttle to Amsterdam as before. Ski carriage will be extra -around 50 or 55 euro, discounted if booked on line( which it will be ) Coming back it will be $55 less discount.( again discounted on line ) As the exchange rate is worrking in our favour atm and probably will be next Feb too We're still winning as the Flights have only cost £510 Very Happy

Its a pain to have to book it afterwards and pay seperately but this time were going to pay less than last year for basically the same flight and luggage allowances. As they dont stipulate what can be packed into the ski and boot bags we will again have plenty of luggage space Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski carriage is still free on BA Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have booked again with TUI for next season and it's still £30 for ski carriage (i.e. £15 each way). Separate boots, skis and hold bags are not a problem in addition to hand luggage but checked in weight (not including skis) is limited to 20kg per person.

Last year I inadvertently ended up taking my boots as hand luggage since the Birmingham airport ground staff managed to kill my boot bag and ended up bringing what was left of it into the aircraft cabin for identification. However, I was notified that this is usually inadvisable because of the dangers of having heavy items in the overhead lockers. The cabin crew stored my boots in one of their lockers and gave me a strong bin bag to carry them in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, for those who wish to gamble on the whim of the cabin crew letting them fly, BA will indeed carry skis 'free'. As I read the BA regulations, though, you'll have to pay for an additional bag unless the ski bag is you only checked item of luggage. Not so?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
esprit holidays - £35 return
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trains are Free
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, trains - which I love travelling on - are anything but free. The fares more than offset the lack of charges for skis - and lugging around the skis between trains is a PITA.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Before the European season kicks off can someone make the discussion about the BA rules a sticky? I really can't be bothered to go through it all again this year.

It's one bag weighing up to 20kg - doesn't matter if it contains skis, board, clothes, a mixture of the aforementioned or your dead dog (well, it probably does if it is your dog).

How difficult can it be rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2, very, in my case. My standard check-in bag, including skiing and non-skiing clothes, boots, avalanche probe and shovel, helmet weighs almost exactly 20Kg. The skis, poles and bag weigh another 9Kg IIRC. BTW "How difficult can it be rolling eyes" could be taken as insulting - but I am sure you didn't mean it that way Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2,
We have booked around 2,000 seats for 2011 with BA and as far as I know and this is what we are telling our clients, you can NOT take your skis or board as your free baggage if you wish to take a suit case

Taken from the BA website (regarding your free bag)
The dimensions of the bag should be
90cm x 75cm x 43cm (35.5ins x 29.5ins x 16ins), including the handle, pockets and wheels.

BUT they also add
What to do with larger/bulky items:
You may take bags up to the dimensions 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
•This allows you to take items such as sporting equipment and musical instruments etc at no additional cost.
•These larger bags can take longer to arrive from your flight and are generally delivered to a separate area of the baggage hall.

If you take a suit case "and" a pair of skis, BA charge for ski carraige. It was free only a year ago then £56 then £64 (for Europe) return - edit see below.
Have a look
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Confused Confused Confused Confused
I booked some ski carrage a few weeks back and have just noticed this
they have increased the cost of the extra bag to £70
Shocked
AGAIN
Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, well done - very clear and in one post. And it addresses achilles's issue too. He will have to pay for an extra bag.

achilles I wasn't trying to be insulting - merely trying to nip it in the bud this year given how many times it was explained last year (along with the EasyJet 20kg/32kg debate). It drove me mad that, even when explained as simply as Wayne has done above people kept coming back with the same question.

Just for the record I think the extra charges are outrageous and my answer last year was to pack 20kg into a ski bag with my skis and take a maximum hand baggage bag, thereby irritating everyone on the plane when there was no room in the overhead lockers for their duty free.

[/rant] (I hope)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tiger2, Isn't it 23Kgs with BA?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joydivision I will not rise to it, I will not rise to it. But you are right Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, yes it is so, 23 kg plus maybe 5 - 10 kg as hand luggage, which is just fine for me. Never paid a penny for ski carriage with them ever Laughing
Tiger2, expect another annoying 'allowance' season wink
ski holidays
From the BA website about skis:

We will accept skis and snowboards of ALL DIMENSIONS provided they are packed correctly.

Preparing skis and snowboards for travel:

skis and snowboards must be packed in a recognised ski or snowboard bag
if you are travelling with skis and ski boots you should pack them in one of the following ways :

- pack your skis and ski boots separately*
- pack your ski boots within your ski bag*
- pack your ski boots within your checked baggage

*Note: Remember each bag that exceeds your free checked baggage allowance will incur an extra bag fee.
latest report
I was looking on Ryan Air yesterday for a flight to Ireland and they now charge 'premium' prices for hold luggage during July and August because it is peak season Shocked
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I was looking on Ryan Air yesterday for a flight to Ireland and they now charge 'premium' prices for hold luggage during July and August because it is peak season Shocked

I suppose they'll start charging extra "premium prices" for ski carriage in February and March on the same grounds. wink
snow report
Just looking at BMI - £30 if its within your baggage allowance (20Kg economy, 30kg business) thereafter £9 / kg as excess baggage Shocked No limit on number of items however.
So Swiss it is then
snow conditions
Swiss is great. last year 3 pair skis in a bag, overweight main bag, boot bag and maximum hand luggage. No extra charges either way for 6 weeks in St. Anton.
Won't do it again though as it's too bloody difficult to carry it all to the train and up the hill at the other end.
Swiss are worth supporting.
ski holidays
No charges for ski and snowboard on Air Berlin flights between November and May.
http://www.airberlin.com
ski holidays
kerekip, well spotted - thank you. I may use Stanstead - Zurich.
ski holidays
My WINGS (www.flymywings.com) (Friedrichshafen) is a new German airline. The new airline is planning to start operations from Friedrichshafen on August 11 to various popular European destinations including London (Gatwick)

Apparently no charges for Ski's or Boots

http://www.flymywings.com/en/buchung
snow report
CityJet flying from LCY

"Skis are accepted in the normal allowance. It has to be within the 23 kg of luggage you can take. When it weighs more there will be an extra cost of € 55.00"

Aha... Update from City Jet: "I’m definitely going to send this case forward to customer care, maybe they can take it up for the future."

On another point, it's really looking like Swiss are killing the competition on prices at the moment to GVA!!!
snow report
Just seen that Jet 2 are offering free ski carriage for bookings made b4 31.10.10 Leeds - Geneva, could that be anything to do with EJ have just moved to LBA and are doing Geneva (also much cheaper that J2-Turpin air), great thing competition eh?!! Too late for me, already booked with Lufthanse (free carriage) but might help someone else...........good luck.
ski holidays
Markymark29, Yep - you're right

Just looked (Manchester to Geneva 15th Jan for 7 nights)

Headline price = £1.99 outbound and £4.99 inbound
Real price = £171.92 (for 2 people) - still not bad though

Base Fare £13.96
Taxes and Charges £74.00
Bags £39.96
Online Check-in £16.00
Sports Equipment £0.04
Seat Selection £27.96
Total: £171.92

IF I was wanting to go to Geneva then it would seem to be a good deal

Same flights over HT would be £1,067.84 for 2 people
OMG Shocked
snow report
Then there's the credit card fee dont forget.....................bah!

TTP eh?

Worth looking at EJ LBA-GVA, only an hour or so from Wigan via M65 or M62/M606 and a easy airport to park at etc
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Then there's the credit card fee dont forget

Oh yeah - I didn't get that far in the booking process

Markymark29 wrote:
Worth looking at EJ LBA-GVA, only an hour or so from Wigan via M65 or M62/M606 and a easy airport to park at etc

Why would I want to go to Geneva ? Don't think there anywhere to ski within a min of 4 hours drive (plus the time it takes to get through the Traforo del Monte Bianco) wink
I went to geneva for a weekend away this summer with Mrs W, really nice in the old town, but REALLY costly and lots of ducks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beware I flew United/KLM code share with bmi connecting flight they wanted £30 for the bmi leg + $50 for the transatlantic leg,( which indeed tied in with the small print but I wasn't sure what a leg was), the rather officious check-in lady was clued up. I then had to go to a different desk to pay the extra, fortunately with a bit of smiling and chatting up she was sympathetic that it was a cruel charge, she rang United and I only had to pay $50. I also had my buddies skis in my ski bag, well under the 23 kg allowed but the rules state only 1 set of skis+poles+boot bag but they rarely enforce this & this halves the price to almost reasonable. They managed to mislay my main bag at the US hub, in compensation they gave me a $300 voucher for future flights but it was unusable for a non-US resident. On return I checking in to return from Aspen, I showed the lovely check-in girl the voucher and asked if I could use it but it had too many big words for her so she just upgraded us and waved the extra baggage charges.
I often find that the check in staff don't know the tarrifs or rules, so I recommend that you print out & decypher the airlines baggage policy, smile a lot, flirt with the check in person, plead poverty and if the charge is not in your favour argue the case.
ski holidays
BA works for me and the rugrats, 2 big holdalls, 2 ski bags with 2 pairs in each and some padding with ski wear and thats the 4 of us sorted!
snow report
Jet2 are currently offering free ski carriage on flights booked before the end of this month wink
ski holidays
So, for a group of 5 skiers with their own skis how much money is spent on carriage for hold luggage and skis? £150x5=£750. How much on airport to resort transfer? £100x5=£500. This tots up to £1,250.

In my 8 seater snow-tyred 4x4 I could drive 5 people's luggage (from their home in SE Eng) and skis out to their chalet, and do the airport transfer (and return) for about £500-700. If a group covered my bills and h/b accommodation and a lift pass, I could throw in a daily drive from chalet to slopes.

Do you think there's any demand for an informal 'ski-chauffeur' service like that?
ski holidays
Wayne - so you dont like Geneva, missed the IF..........never been to Trentino, any reasonably priced flights to Turin from the north? Would like to give that area a try but not sure how to get there.
snow report
Markymark29, Turin isn't the best choice of airport for Trentino (to put it mildly).

The realistic choices are Innsbruck, Venice, Begamo, Verona (which is the one most TOs use) or Breschia (if you can find a flight). Bolzano is actually the best positioned airport, but there are no direct flights from the UK - you have to go via Rome.

Innsbruck is closest for most of the Dolomites (or Venice for the Cortina area), Bergamo is next best, and may even be better for some of the western Dolomite areas. But Ryanair don't believe Bergamo is a "ski" airport, so when they do special offers for ski carriage, they don't include there.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Wayne - so you don’t like Geneva,

I really do like Geneva. We had a really nice weekend there this summer. Most of the newer sections are a little soulless but the Old Quarter area around the old cathedral is a very relaxing place to stroll around. We got a deal from Thomas Cook. £120 each for all flights, 4* hotel in the centre, etc so getting there is OK but when you arrive everything seems to be really expensive. But I would have no hesitation in going back for another stay. I would recommend it to anyone with a few days off work and looking for a relaxing weekend during the summer.

Markymark29 wrote:
never been to Trentino, any reasonably priced flights to Turin from the north? Would like to give that area a try but not sure how to get there.

Turin is nowhere near Trentino it's other side of Italy. If you imagine Italy as a tall triangle - Turin is the top left and the Dolomites are top right - up near the Austrian boarder. Some of the really old people in our area still speak German as their 1st language.

I did fly into Geneva once on a Mark Warner flight on the way to a Snoworks course, and we disembarked at the TO terminal. I know some snowHead 's have had problems at this section of Geneva airport, but on our flights/transfer everything went smoothly.
latest report
Sorry to bump this but I am thinking of booking a flight to europe with BA and trying to figure out the cost of taking a board bag as well as my normal suitcase.

The BA website states that an extra bag is £28 if booked in advance, does anyone know if this is one way or return?

From the OP it looks like this is £28 each way (it is £35 if you don't book in advance) but would like confirmation if anyone can.

I tried to give them a call this evening but apparently their call levels are too high so I was cut off the few times I tried Sad

Many thanks
latest report
davefitz, Dave, think its each way
ski holidays
davefitz wrote:
From the OP it looks like this is £28 each way (it is £35 if you don't book in advance) but would like confirmation if anyone can.

Yep Markymark29 is right, it's each way. And YES they do weigh the extra bag, so......
ski holidays
Wayne, what's the weight limit on the extra bag? Another 23kgs?
latest report
It seems to me the cheapest option is getting a large board/ski bag and bunging everything in it, i.e. one bag. Carry your ski jacket, wear your snowboard boots, hat & goggles. Put transformers and other dense items in pockets or hand luggage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy