Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tighter-turning freeride skis (oxymoron?)

Poster: A snowHead
new movement source seems to be pretty curvy sidecut for a biggish ski. I've found their other models pretty nimble too and great in mixed/choppy/icy conditions (the general stiffnes helps loads IMO), I'm retiring my gladiators with AT and replacing with the goliath sluff (transferring over freeride+ binders, plenty good enough for me). This set up tends to be / will be my most used overall (not a hardcore tourer neither, just like punting off to somewhere nice if the weather is good really)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Hey,
I've seen a great deal on a pair of Salomon Shogun which I've only had chance to test indoors but am holding off pulling the trigger because I don't want to have the same issues I found with the Dynastars. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tested one of the tighter radius fat skis like the Icelantic Shaman, WhiteDot Preacher or some of the Zag models or even the Mantra and how they compared with the straighter boards.

Thanks

SSB

I have recently ridden the:
Icelantic Shaman (160-110-130 18m radius @ 184cm),
WhiteDot Preacher (155-112-133 21m radius @ 189cm)
SkiLogik Ullr's Chariot 178cm 2009-2010 (145-101-134 15m radius @ 178cm)
Rip'nWud FRC (129-93-119 r=19m @ 177cm)
and Rip'nWud FRC Pro (129-93-119 r=19m @ 188cm)

which is sort-of in your range of skis you mention...

If you come from a racing background (I coached racing for 9 years), and like the hooked-up edge grip and "pull" a serious sidecut ski gives you, you should definitely look at some of the more curvacious "mid fat" or "fat" skis out there. It really is remarkable how well they can carve on groomed surfaces once you roll them up and get the geometry "engaged" in the surface! It takes more deliberate setup in your turn, but these skis can indeed carve nicely and securely. The "straighter" skis will not truly carve along their entire length, as much as grip temporarily underfoot (in my opinion). Even the rockered powder skis with relatively straight, large-radius sidecuts (not reverse sidecut...that's a different ride!) can grip the groomers OK...but don't expect the same curvy grip along the geometry as the more hourglass-shapes. If you plan on using the skis in 3D snow most of the time...pick the more powder-oriented, straighter geometries. If you want to cruise all over the mountain in any terrain with relative fun and spunky behavior...go more shapely. If you want the old "race" feel, you could look at something like the Rip'nWud "Pro Series", which, like many other brands, beefs up their construction with a stiffer, more torsionally strong design to raise the effective speed envelope to a higher level. More tiring, yes. Stronger and less deflection, yes. More grip across variable surfaces, yes.

I have heard from countless people that many of the freeride skis by Dynastar, Rossignol and Salomon are stiff and demanding since they are modeled after some skis preferred by chute-running, straight-lining, high-speed, big-drop professional skiers. It is not necessary to subject yourself to strong-tiring skis to get a turny, fat-waisted ski for many conditions. I found the Icelantic, White Dot, Rip'nWud and SkiLogik skis all handled remarkably easy for their size and let me ski over many types of surfaces with fun and enthusiasm without getting the "workout of a lifetime".

Let us know what you find.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be honest, i got bored of reading replies about half way down the first page. From what i read it seems you're looking for a wide ski that isn't complete turd on piste. I have some 08 nordica enforcers. Only used them once so far but it was mainly piste cruising for a week as the off piste was pretty rubbish. I came off some old 1080s which were a piece of cake to turn due to their noodle nature. i would say the enforcers are pretty much just as good as the 1080s minus the crazy flapping when it got slightly rough. Might be worth a look see although they're a bitch to get hold of. At least they were.

If I've missed the point by not actually reading anything then yeah, just ignore me.

PS some pretty epic shakey hands from whoever was filming that video.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks exoticskis, I'm definitely interested in testing the Shamans and the Preachers, think the Rip'n'Wud may be out of my budget. My only concern with the Shamans would be a number of reviews seem to suggest it's worse than most in terms of edge grip on firm-pack. I'm not expecting race ski edge grip but I would want something that I can have confidence in on a hard steep couloir. I'm also planning on having a go on some of the more 'fun-shape' hybrids like the Armada JJ and the Rossignol S7.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In terms of grip on hardpack, I would have to rate these skis in this order....

Shaman - Least secure on-piste but very turny in 3D snow (good for trees)
Preachers - Pretty darn good on piste if tuned properly.
Ullr's Chariot - Pretty darn good on-piste, but somewhat stiffer feeling and more tiring perhaps.
Rip'nWud - Best of the three on-piste, but somewhat narrower underfoot in soft stuff, pricier

Try the Armada JJ and Rossi S7. I have not. Lots of people like them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sideshow_Bob, these might be of interest... http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=8061
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch, them's the very fellas and deal i just snaffled

you know it makes sense
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, just got their Spring specials email. Usually worth a look. Be interested to hear back on those once you've skied them. Personally I'm more of a Dynastar fan than Movement but have a couple of mates that love their Movement skis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobinch, ya I've had a few pairs of movements on the go for a good few years, havent been tempted to look elsewhere, i've found them that good. Looking forward to the sluffs, have the models either side (ish) of them and they're top notch. I'm expecting them to slot in nicely as my all-round / touring setup. I just hope the skins i have off the glads cover them / fit well enough (should be ok - just!). They should be here this week, might even get organised to swap on the bindings in time for the weekend, i shall report back.

Sideshow_Bob, if you dont know Telemark-Pyrenees, they're good and will have pretty good deals (a la the sluff's i'm getting) on this time of year
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
kitenski, Thanks for posting that link - At the risk of derailing the thread I just wanted to say what fun you all looked like you were having and I wondered (somewhat enviously) how long you had all been skiing before you started to have a bash at that sort of terrain. I noted the large packs as well though - they look awkward I assume that is the safety kit that I hear discussed on the boards. I doubt I'll ever get to that standard, and I tend to fear the off-piste for safety reasons, but I must admit it does look great fun Toofy Grin .

I've been skiing since 1984, done about 38 weeks over that time...others like parlor have done lots more than me and it shows!! I think I started mucking around off piste after my 5th or 6th week on snow..

The packs did contain shovels, probes and also lunch, but I don't find them awkward at all, can leave them on my back on most(all) chairlifts...

Back on topic I really think you need some serious testing on snow in varied conditions Sideshow_Bob
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, FWIW 2 of the guys in that link were on Scott Missions (1 being me....now on HS Freerides), JT was on his Movements, 2 of the others were on Icelantic Nomads, Arno was on his LPs I think and I can't remember what Parlor was on.....

Speed?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Popped into S+R the other day and noticed they had their sale on. Mantras at £310, Kuros at about £330. Heart said Kuros, head said Mantras, niggly voice said "wait and test some abroad", ignored it and bought a pair of 184s. They didn't have the 191 and I'll sacrifice a little float in the tip for better hard-pack performance. Mounting them with an old pair of Salomon 920s (desprung so they start at something sensible, 11 I think) tho may have to slap some barons/dukes on there when I can source some cheap.

Now, who wants to buy some 186 race-room Legend Pros w Look PX14? Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kurus for £330 eh? Conveniently my next student loan installment comes in soon...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

tho may have to slap some barons/dukes on there when I can source some cheap.

there is a link somewhere (thread called something 'heads up on cheap Naxos') which takes you to.............well that should be obvious. So why spend on the Markers?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker, interesting suggestion. I'd heard naxos were a bit sloppy and the parts won't be available for when something invariably breaks? I'd be using the skis primarily for lift-served with the odd side-country/lift-assisted day so alpine performance is more important to me than weight.
snow report
el nombre wrote:
I'll be honest, i got bored of reading replies about half way down the first page. From what i read it seems you're looking for a wide ski that isn't complete turd on piste. I have some 08 nordica enforcers. Only used them once so far but it was mainly piste cruising for a week as the off piste was pretty rubbish. I came off some old 1080s which were a piece of cake to turn due to their noodle nature. i would say the enforcers are pretty much just as good as the 1080s minus the crazy flapping when it got slightly rough. Might be worth a look see although they're a bitch to get hold of. At least they were.

If I've missed the point by not actually reading anything then yeah, just ignore me.

PS some pretty epic shakey hands from whoever was filming that video.

I've got some of those Enforcers... the older twin tipped. Amazing skis. A very similar ski is the Black Crow Navis which is available in many places.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
A very similar ski is the Black Crow Navis which is available in many places.

Saw a pair of Navis being sold off in Meribel last summer, brand new, unmounted, 180€.

As I was standing at the cash machine, to get the money to buy them, a guy walked past me carrying them on his shoulder, with a big grin on his face Sad
latest report
midgetbiker, i wouldn't touch naxos meself... just sayin...
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, FWIW 2 of the guys in that link were on Scott Missions (1 being me....now on HS Freerides), JT was on his Movements, 2 of the others were on Icelantic Nomads, Arno was on his LPs I think and I can't remember what Parlor was on.....

Speed?

Slag.

clarky999 dirty student. Neh Neh

Sideshow_Bob wrote:
I'd be using the skis primarily for lift-served with the odd side-country/lift-assisted day so alpine performance is more important to me than weight.

Stick to the Barons.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy