Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things you dread in a shared chalet

Poster: A snowHead
I think paulio should get some sort of prize for subtle fishing in this thread.

You're not AlpineZone on TGR by any chance, are you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Subtle?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd just like to admit that I used to take my guitar on holiday. But not skiing holidays. And I never inflicted it outside of my immediate group.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, I'd love to have a skiing trip on my own - much as I enjoy skiing with family, just to do what I want for a few days would be heaven Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oops
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this thread is LOL.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, well, obviously subtle enough for some wink

Or maybe those posters are even more subtle than I realised, and reeled me in...

Oh damn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spending £'000s on a chalet means not having to break bread with the type of people who wax lyrical about DIY. Big bunch of DIY'ers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The thing is, I've managed to get some outrageously cheap last minute deals on package holidays, deals that will blow any DIY savings completely out of the water. It's generally considered bad form to crow about such savings whilst on holiday because there's always someone else who's paid full price with the result that they think your an awful oik for showing off about how clever you are, a concept seems to have escaped many DIY'ers.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 16-03-10 16:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kruisler,
Quote:

My shared chalet nightmare?
Turning up to find that the rest of the guest are a bunch of red hot swedish girls, that hate to wear anything but skimpy stuff when in the chalet, love hot tubs, are ski/snowboard instructors, are all just out of serious relationships and looking for some holiday fun....and are the sharing type...

4 of us (boys holiday) are off to Val d'Isere next week staying in a chalet for 14, the above would be our worst nightmare Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, not all of us DIY'ers do DIY for the price alone strangely enough. I do it cos it suits my needs and that's it really.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IME DIY can often cost more than a package deal. When I have DIY'd its been for reasons other than price. In fact I rarely base buying decisions solely on price. If I did I guess I'd buy all my clothes at primark, and only ski in Bansko.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, and that's perfectly fine, knock yourself out, I've also done both for various reasons, none of which were price. The problem is with your erstwhile DIY'ing colleagues who have no appreciation that other people have different priorities and choices. I'm not sure why so many DIY'ers have an almost autistic fascination with showing off about how little they paid or which specific route they took on their Wacky Races charge across France. As I've stated before, I don't particularly care how anyone gets to the slopes or how much they paid, let's just have a beer and get on with it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
Stay well away and holiday alone
Also, why would anyone holiday alone? That sounds grim. I always holiday with my extremely large numbers of friends, or my loving family. Although I suppose if I wasn't fortunate enough to have such wonderful people around me, I would probably choose to pay thousands of pounds to bunk up with total strangers, and then complain about the experience on the internet!

I think you have missed the point, the cheeky little 'holiday alone' trips are in addition to the family/friends trips wink

In fairness if you can find a privately run chalet (not part of TO) and you fancy a few days away because there has been 50 cm of fresh snow then you can not go too wrong anywhere really; all you have to do is endure a bit breakfast and supper and if the others are not your cup of tea ..... eat up and head to the pub ..... rinse and repeat for a couple of days ..... top banana Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We like catered chalets, as opposed to hotels or s/c, and avoid the potential of having to spend a week in a house with people we would normally cross the road to avoid, by booking a sole occupancy property. As our group is usually 8 family and friends, this is pretty easy. However, this year, one of those friends found herself (after a pretty liquid night out) inviting a 'friend' of hers to join us. It was a disaster, and if any of us (including the friend who brought him along) come across him in a dark alley, he had better run - fast. And he didn't even have a guitar Laughing
snow conditions
ON one of our trips, ski rep invited someone back to keep him warm in the cold attic room. Some of us were woken by a disturbance, when her nieces turned up to look for her. Turned out the nieces were older than their aunt, and aunty was under 16. Shocked
snow conditions
I think chalets shared with strangers are great. You meet interesting people with diverse views and that adds to the delight of a skiing holiday. I have to disagree with many of the negative views of chalets in this thread. Most of my skiing holidays have been in chalets shared with a number of strangers. Whilst you meet many 'characters' there are very few people, almost none, that I would call unpleasant. Perhaps the numbers that I would want as best friends is small, but the same applies to people at work and elsewhere.

As others have said, the quality of the chalet staff is important. So choosing a mid-range company works for me. Being nice to the chalet staff is a good investment in time and effort. A phone call before you travel to learn what sweets or whatever they have been missing from home provides a small present you can give on arrival and make them think you may be an OK person.
ski holidays
Adrian, yes, despite having met one or two unpleasant characters on the one chalet holiday I did booked on a last minute deal, and none the rest of the time, I've also met plenty of new friends to keep in touch with besides here and there, so I'd say that the good outweighs the bad on the whole. Also you can meet new friends in any accomodation be it chalet, hotel, chalethotel or whatever. I'd still go for a chalet-hotel rather than a chalet though because then the more people there are, the more good people to meet. I do like to meet new people when I go skiing. Also like someone else said, if you have your usual trips with friends/family throughout the season and you want to go somewhere else by yourself, a chalet is a good way of mingling with others even if you do like to ski by yourself, someone to have dinner with etc, so they're a good idea. The food is usually better than hotel food as well I think, as well as having the additional benefit of afternoon tea Toofy Grin Chalets are a lot more sociable in this respect than hotels are, I think.
snow report
I pretty much always holiday alone. I'm a single gal and my friends are all hitched and/or sprogged up. However, I do now have the luxury of ski buddies to meet up with and ski with every season. These are just people I have met over the years whilst holidaying alone.

Anyway, regarding the local cuisine question, I don't find it a huge problem being vegetarian, but it helps that I speak the lingo. It's been a fair few years since I last skied in France, but I love all the cheesy fondue/raclette and they serve some lovely salads. Italy is probably the easiest. Our hotel this year served traditional local food, with delicious salad antipasti, followed by a choice of soup, pasta or gnocchi dishes, followed by a meat dish for the meat eaters and a cheese or egg dish for me. Delicious. And yes I'm probably half a stone fatter.

Austria was a bit tricky but they do serve some nice soups and dumpling dishes without meat. Just because I'm a vegetarian doesn't mean I don't enjoy my food, I just choose not to eat dead bodies.
snow conditions
Quote:

I just choose not to eat dead bodies.

I also choose not to eat dead bodies. I much prefer a decent steak or similar Twisted Evil
snow report
Whenever I fly, and I must confess I am a little bit scared of flying, I secretly - deep down - hope that the plane will crash, leaving only myself and a few other survivors, stranded somewhere remote for many many weeks.

It's the only way I'll ever legitimately have the opportunity to eat a woman.
snow conditions
Quote:

make them think you may be an OK person

as opposed to those who arrive and make instant judgements on the moral and intellectual qualities and entertainment-value of their fellow-guests based on what kind of ski suits they wear. rolling eyes
snow conditions
pam w, but jumping to instant conclusions about people saves so much time!
ski holidays
Love Chalets. We've been very lucky with ace staff both times with Supertravel, can't quite get my head around this "not enough bread at breakfast" and "only 1 bottle of wine per person" - we had everything and anything we wanted Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

make them think you may be an OK person

as opposed to those who arrive and make instant judgements on the moral and intellectual qualities and entertainment-value of their fellow-guests based on what kind of ski suits they wear. rolling eyes

It's really hard making an instant judgement on the moral and intellectual qualities of people if you don't start somewhere.

Most people prove me right, though sometimes they do take a bit of encouragement.

I look forward to unveiling my one piece to the chalet in a few weeks time, I can genuinely look forward to everybody just leaving me to get on with drinking and reading my book in a corner Very Happy
snow conditions
It was so much simpler in the old days when all the punters came from Fulham. All the companies were based there or Earls Court and there was no such thing as a chalet boy.

Cooking and cleaning was women's work and they were usually posh sorts who claimed to have cordon bleu qualifications - as opposed to gap year students.
snow conditions
I hated a group in the last chalet I stayed in. 3 groups, us, a group of 10 and a family of 4 with two early teenage kids. The 3rd group told the kids not to go in the lounge as they were watching a DVD not appropriate for them at 4pm !! Bearing in mind the lounge adjoined the dining area I thought, as did my group, that they were being totally unthoughtful and selfish.

The lounge/dining room were communal areas, especially as there was always drinks and cake around in the dining area at that time Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
there ARE things, and people, I don't like about Chalets. There ARE things I do like about chalets.
To hear some of you pontificate you'd think you were spending the week in purgatory. Fine, if you don't like them don't go. I wouldn't choose to do hotels, chalets, apartments or in fact any form or accomodation based on then ramblings of the snowheads mafia, in fact, would probably avoid skiing altogether.

Fortunately I know better, having discoverd skiing before snowHead

Have a little fun, and whinge about the dreads - it's all good 'net banter, and you never know, some people may recognise their own habits and change them ( somewhat doubtful). But as with all these things, skiing is a broad church, and it's horse for courses.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chalet nightmare ???
verbier 2008 , first time in chalet,first time skiing on own, last minute booking , no idea what to expect, transfer from geneva drops me off in the center of town with vague directions to chalet "just down to bottom of hill" half an hour later arrive at chalet , to be greeted by 10 other individual house mates !! who had been in situ for a couple of hours getting along famously, am shown to basement broom cupboard with "mountain view" obscured by compost heap(paid a extra single supplement for this!!!). OMG what have i let myself in for. so never mind, up from the coal store for dinner with housemates who included : one vegan, two veggies,one guy who needed the exact provenance of every food type used just in case he came within a mile of an animal, two yoga masters, one sixteen year old lad(packed off there by his parents whilst they went to their house in the Caribbean) one australian gynecologist , a dry slope ski instructor and a forty year old ski bum just ending a season off work, disaster or what !!!
result was actually my best ski holiday ever , great laugh every night , wether staying in or out on the town, two new best friends for life !!!!!!!
but i suppose this is normal for a WSA course snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

The 3rd group told the kids not to go in the lounge as they were watching a DVD not appropriate for them at 4pm !!

Shocked Completely unacceptable. The majority should just have switched the damn thing off. In fact, there is really no place for a telly or DVD player in the communal lounge of a chalet - they should be banished to a separate room for those hopelessly addicted who can't spend a week without goggling.
latest report
Pampas Grass Shocked
ski holidays
The fellow guest who justified buying a Subaru Impreza - the non-turbo model rolling eyes
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Helen BeamontThat sounds like a description of a load of bedsits with a communal living area and kitchen. Round where I live, a bedsit is about £300 per month (approximately the £9 per night I posited earlier). Still sounds like people staying in these so-called 'chalets' are being royally scammed.

Round where you live isn't in the mountains.

A bedsit doesn't come catered in the cost, nor does it include flights from the UK to the Alps in the cost. Nor does it include cleaning, bed linne, etc.

Chalets generally come in cheaper than half board hotels, but more expensive per person than (fully occupied) apartments.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
So let me get this right. So-called 'skiers' are paying literally thousands of pounds, to stay for just 1 week in a house in a remote location in Switzerland, with other people's children and a communal hot tub.

Since you started by saying "So let me get this right", perhaps you should have made some attempt at doing so.

Very few chalets indeed cost anything remotely approaching £1000 per person, even at peak times (it is usually more like half that or frequently significantly even less). Quite a lot of chalets don't allow children outside of recognised school holidays. The location is usually in a ski resort, which is not "a remote location" if your intention is to go skiing Smile

Your last point is right (if they have a hot tub), but that is equally true of any hotel or apartment block.
ski holidays
I always stay in chalets as I dont want to go on holiday and cook or clean and I am a sucker for pre dinner canapes and aperitifs, but I am pretty tolerant of people and taking the wee wee out of chalet mates, makes for good chairlift chat!! Having said that I have never been in a chalet with kids - that would probably push me over the edge! wink
latest report
Flatulence
snow report
Flattoad, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Very few chalets indeed cost anything remotely approaching £1000 per person

but some cost a great deal more. My son cooked in one such, and guests included the Duke of Devonshire who was so impressed with the food he offered him a job in one of his hotels. Some have pools, saunas and massage rooms (masseuses bussed in as required) and private 4WD transport to and from your lift of choice each day. The people who stay in those chalets could afford the best hotel in the resort but prefer something a little more individual. Chalets are exactly like hotels in that some are cheap and good value, some are cheap and nasty, some are expensive and nasty and some are expensive and the last word in comfort and luxury. However flatulence cannot be excluded from any of those categories.....
ski holidays
I agree with pam w, and essentially it is down to recommendations as well as the luck of the draw on your chalet staff. I would say the Cook is the most important part of the Chalet staff and hence they always get the larger pot of the tip. I have been with Scott Dunn, SkiVerbier and Hip Chalets and always had no problems at all, and if any thing height of luxury and service. We have even become friends with numerous of the chefs and helpers...

pam w, which chalet co. did your son work for?

Oh and worst things are chalet hands who invite their friends and parents back and lounge in your chalet... Yeah was not good... Think it was Crystal Ski...
ski holidays
michaelminhatkinson, I would be very surprised if you did have any problems with Scott Dunn or SkiVerbier (not aware of Hip Chalets, although their website promised much), as thay are amongst the best in the business, and I think I can say with some confidence that they were in the £1000+ category (good for you mate, why slum it if you don't have to). Chalet staff who invite friends and family into the space of paying customers are playing a very dangerous game, one complaint and they're toast.

In summary, I think we can say vive la différence, each to their own etc, but a I'd like to see more people embracing that difference, not prescribe quite so vehemently to any particular type of trip and not be so dismissive of those who choose a different way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy