Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Steep Vanoise (Full trip added with Bonus Italian section!)

Poster: A snowHead
A fantastic week run by offpisteskiing. I had the pleasure of sharing a room with GrahamN....and now have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the dry slope race scene in the UK Shocked

After the usual sleepless overnight train we arrived in the 3 valleys for a warm up day where we were greeted with 4/5 avi risk and probably 40cms pow!

A couple of testers on a ridge above Meribel confirmed that thinks looked pretty good and felt quite stable
Graham

Steve

Graham enjoying the view

Time to step in up a notch after a couple of Nutella Crepes, so we headed to the Saulire and the couloirs above Courchevel for the afternoon. I think we managed 5 different variations in knee deep pow Madeye-Smiley
This photo (not mine) shows some of the many lines

Steve in the "Sous Pylons" couloir

Graham in the"Emile Allais"

What a great first day!

Day 2 - Our first guided by Simon (offpisteskiing)
After a few leg stretching runs we headed high onto the ridge between Val Thorens and Orelle for our first big line, the South face of the Cime de Caron

Only a few tracks and some supportive spring snow for a great descent

Jack loving the steeps

Next we went up to the Bouchet Glacier which you get a great view of from the top of the Cime de Caron
A good looking north facing bowl (Simon checking it out)

Graham confirmed that the snow was "not to shabby"

Day 3 - The big one, the ultimate prize - Opening up the Northface of the Bellecotte. We hit the jackpot on arriving at the top, not a track down it....1000m of 40 degree couloir totally untracked, then another 500m of open bowl skiing. I had waited over 10 years to do this line and to get it in conditions like this was a dream come true!
We took the Couloir Cairn variant, seen here from point A. It doesn't look big but point A is at 3000m and point c is at 2000m...

Simon enjoying his job (he also commented at the bottom that it was his run of the season)

Graham loving it

Look at Jacks smile

Graham on a lower section, only 500m more vertical to go

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-03-10 11:00; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just turned green.

I'm not sure I'll even open part II.

Just trump it all and say you had lunch with Mme Poisson at l'Ancolie and you have described the perfect day.
Mad snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow. Great pics and you seem indeed to have hit the North face of Bellecote in perfect conditions.

I miss the steeps...

Oh, the skiing's not bad either!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bah! now more gutted than i was that i couldn't make it Mad

looks great though and some very nice pics!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very nice, looks like you really scored some great conditions. Looking forwards to part 2.
snow report
 brian
brian
Pas mal. Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Loved them photo's.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Glad I got on this years trip, last years sounded somewhat firmer snow conditions, not ideal on a board Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
norris, the Bellecote was chalky - actually quite nice and grippy but you would have slid if you fell
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastique
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant stuff looking forward, some great lines it was worth the ten year wait!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am out in VT on the bash, may have to try those lines (with a suitable guide of course...) Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
norris, great pics. The line on Bellecote looks pretty tasty! You struck gold with the timing. When was this? And did you move around the rsorts during the week or stay down the valley and drive about? Looking forward to part 2.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I dunno, looked kinda busy Wink

Excellent as always norris, but no shots of you this time...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
norris, which one is the 'regular' line most people talk about when they ski the north face of bellecote?
snow conditions
Wow that's some serious skiing there. Amazing photos, I can only dream of being that good (at skiing, not photography lol)!
ski holidays
norris, cracking photos - excellent record of a great week. I'd actually forgotten about that first morning - and those photos just about refresh my memory of those great pitches, which sort of faded with what we were doing for the rest of the week. Pity we didn't get a photo of offpisteskiing's rather crestfallen expression when we told him we'd done all those marked on that Saulire photo (except for the skiers' right Emile Allais one) before even meeting him Laughing .

There was actually a day in between day 1 and day 2 above. Weather was a bit "sub-optimal" though and norris and Steve decided to wait for things to clear up a bit. As Jack hadn't taken the red-eye train he'd not skied yet, so I went out with him. In the end we spent the morning feeling our way down bumpy pistes with virtually zero-vis - unsurprisingly with no photographic record. An enquiring text around lunchtime on conditions from norris was met with the somewhat frustrated response "Cr@p - bin it". After a morning of this we headed for some trees (under Platieres lift), during which my legs decided to pack up after having spent the morning as pathfinder Sad . So I decided to head for home, leaving Jack to his own devices for the remainder of the afternoon - and about 30 seconds later the clouds suddenly disappeared and the slopes were bathed in sunshine for the rest of the day.....grrrr Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

bobinch, first week in March. Other than two trips to La Plagne we stayed in the 3V all week (although with an attempted escape route to come in Pt II) - we didn't seem to have trouble finding stuff to do snowHead .

parlor, I have more than 5 hours of headcam footage, with many clips of him in full flow. Unfortunately it'll have to wait until after Easter until I can edit it down, as I have two more trips still in the next couple of weeks (green smileys anyone Wink ). He does have the footage from that Bellecote day though.
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, I think most guided groups ski the petit north face which has a less steep entry (on the shoulder right of B)

parlor, not many of me this time unfortunately, I was hiding behind my powder slashes! Laughing
ski holidays
GrahamN, norris, also loving that south face of Cime de Caron. Never thought about that one but next time in in VT will certainly have a look! 1st week of March so basically just after that big dump on the Thursday/Friday. That Saturday was a belter but we then got battered by high winds on the Sunday. Looks like 3v's avoided the worst of that. Did you get up to Bellecote via the lift connection at Champagny?
ski holidays
bobinch, yes the Caron is a 50m walk from the cable car! The saturday was sweet, sunday awful ( i went for a walk!! Shocked rather than ride)
Bellecotte via Champagny yes as we stayes in Brides
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On we go.

Day 4
With a slighty iffy forecast for the next few days it was time for Simon to really earn his money! The initial plan was to go for a tour off the back of Courchevel and over the Col de Biol, but on arrival at the top of the lifts it looked like seriously low cloud - not ideal on this tour as you need some pretty accurate route finding. So we put a hold on the Col de Biol until the weather improved later in the week. With pretty flat light we need to find something with some contrast between sky and snow = The imposing "Aiguille de Fruit"

We basically skinned and then bootpacked straight up the main couloir to the snowy ridge . Don't ask Graham if he enjoyed this Twisted Evil ....think postholing everystep due to carrying his big old 191 fatties on his back and hiking in DH ski boots!

Colour coordination

Simon skiing down in the gloom

Day 5
More iffy weather, slighty warmer so alot of stuff had become kind of breakable crust on some aspects or windboard on others! Simon decided on another run off the Bellecotte, this time the Canadian Couloir which has a steeper entry than the cairn (seen at point B on my previous photo). It wasn't quite the hero snow of the other day Sad and I for one was struggling with tired legs and difficult light - or maybe I was just spolit from the epic run down the Cairn !!! All the other guys seemed to enjoy it though Very Happy
Anyway as you can see its an imposing entry

Simon demonstrating how to ski the steeps

I was more looking forward to the Plat du Jour and some tart at the lovely auberge at the bottom, unfortunately this was full so we headed back into the lift system to find another restaurant which wasn't quite so good Sad
And with heavy fog we called time on this days skiing.

Day 6
And the sun comes out again finally! So the tour to the Col de Biol and down to Pralognan was back on the agenda. This really is a fantastic tour through some really craggy peaks/valleys that reminded me of the Dolomites
Syncronized skinning

Jack crests the ridge with the Aiguille de Fruit in the background (we skiied the other side earlier in the week)

Ski crampons out on this icey traverse

Graham arrives at the Col, a fantastic ambience far away from the madness of the 3V.

Simons skis the first pitch, not a track in sight

High above Pralognan and it gets nice and steep

I wonder why the guide always go first....!

The lesser spotted norris Very Happy

Steve gets in on the action

Other tracks, what are these? still plenty of room though!

After this we winded our way down to Pralognan for a few sherbets to celebrate a really amazing week. Many thanks to Simon for the great guiding and Graham, Jack and Steve for trying to keep up with me on my snowboard NehNeh actually more thanks for all the tows and lending of poles on the flat sections!

Italian Bonus section!
The following week I headed over to Courmayeur with Mrs Norris to rest my weary legs after all those steeps!!
Unfortunately she had sustained a knee injury during a recent Netball match so we had to stick to gentle pistes, so no cliff hucking etc Confused . We actually had a really nice week including alot of eating fine Italian food, a visit to the hot springs, snowshoeing up the Val Ferret to a refuge. I managed to squeeze in a few
bits of backcountry in between pizzas.
The typically busy pistes and terrible views from Courmayeur

Snowshoeing in the Val ferret with the Aiguille Noire de Peutery in the background. Just five minutes later 2 huge eagles were soaring above us, looked like golden eagles to me.

I hiked up above the top lift (Arp) at Courmayeur for a run down into the Val Veni

The view into the Bowl where I was heading

We went over to La Thuile for a day and I hiked up Bella Valetta while Mrs Norris sat in the sun and took a few shots of me coming down, slightly from afar but pretty damn nice!

A fine 2 weeks...
snow conditions
norris, what a cracking week of off piste. Doesn't get much better than that. If you plan something like that again I'd certainly be interested.
snow report
bobinch, get yourself on offpisteskiing's mailing list

norris, glad you had one day of dodgy vis to keep it real NehNeh
snow conditions
bobinch, yes, there are plans a foot I think by offpisteskiing for him to do more like this next year (with an added twist wink )
Arno, jealousy isn't a nice trait Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Fabulous.

The guide's pack. Any ideas? Never seen skis strapped side by side like that before.
snow report
Mike Pow, it's an ABS bag by the looks of it
latest report
Mike Pow, ABS packpack - they don't have standard a-frame straps for some reason. Only a snowboard style carry system so hence side by side.
snow report
Mike Pow, ABS
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to be sure thats ABS!
ski holidays
Mike Pow, ABS, it's all you get on the back, a very basic pair of straps.

norris, good effort bro.
snow report
So is it an ABS? Wink

Thanks
ski holidays
norris, Great photos!
Mike Pow, ABS pack - the older models (and probably the newer ones too) don't have straps on the side (traditional 'A' frame straps) as this is where the airbags appear (hopefully)... But the buckle/strap system present is not great, so if you put the skis in it clipped together (Pierra Menta stylee) the buckles loosen automatically as you swing the bag onto your back and you then end up with your skis flapping around... much better with skis flat...
snow report
Northface of the Bellecotte - Couloir Cairn from Nick Morrish
http://www.vimeo.com/10508747

I put together an edit of the Northface of the Bellecotte from Grahamn's Headcam. Abit rough around the edges as its my first proper attempt at a video edit!! Puzzled
snow report
norris, only seen a few mins so far but looks good Very Happy . Thanks. Got back Sat evening (after a bluebird powder day Very Happy Very Happy) with another 10 hrs of vid, so I need to get to grips with this editing lark myself before long. Still won't be for a while yet though, as I'm off to La Grave on Thurs - doncha just love it! Wink
snow report
GrahamN, Its a tough life Twisted Evil
latest report
Brilliant! Great photos and love the video.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy