Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We invented Skiing !

Poster: A snowHead
Really interesting series on Radio 4 called The Alps. Last week looked at how the Alps divide the beer-swilling north from the wine-quaffing south. This week's all about Switzerland. And next week's on something I've always wondered about - whether the British really invented downhill skiing. Apparently they did.

From the Radio Times for Tuesday March 23

Misha Glenny travels to Switzerland and France in pursuit of a myth - that it was the British who invented alpine sports. At the launch for the 125th anniversary of the Cresta Run , he discovers that the first British travellers to the Alps were either very rich, or very ill. With interviews from Fergus Fleming; Jim Ring, author of How the English Made The Alps; and Art Furrer, a Swiss hotelier who confirms that, yes, it is all true. Producer Miles Warde
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think the Brits 'invented' alpine skiing, we may have been responsible for turning it into a recreational activity thouhg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
I don't think the Brits 'invented' alpine skiing, we may have been responsible for turning it into a recreational activity thouhg.

To be a lot more specific what the Brits, or at least Ernst Goldsmith's old friend Arnold Lunn, are claimed to have invented, is persuading the Grindlewald railway to open in the winter to carry skiers uphill. Before then people climbed.

So what is today called "Alpine Skiing" does seem to be a Brit invention. But I'm sure Mr Goldfish knows a lot more about this than me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IIRC, I think we "invented" what one would now recognise as modern DH? I believe competition was based around the style of skiing previously. We introduced the event as a timed competition. I think this had something to do with Arnold Lunn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If anyones interested, it's on the Radio 4 iPlayer.
Link here
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard was too modest to admit that he invented skiing Sideways (still used by many skiers during turns and more generally by many snowboarders all the way down steeper slopes).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

or at least Ernst Goldsmith's old friend Arnold Lunn

I believe they were at Eton together
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well here you go... http://history.fis-ski.com/ - according to the FIS the Russians started it 8,310 years ago. I can't believe they didn't have the odd race between themselves when they were not debating helmets and winter tyres. Sir Arnold got the rules sorted out about 8,200 years later - inventing something that late on is quite a claim eh? Normally an American trait.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interestingly i can play this even though i live in Ireland, Iplayer doesnt normanally work here
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
Richard was too modest to admit that he invented skiing Sideways (still used by many skiers during turns and more generally by many snowboarders all the way down steeper slopes).

he may have invented it but i perfected it Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I merely invented a form falling, with style. And sitting in the middle of slopes. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
We invented Skiing

That's pretty strong statement, don't you think? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about 'we invented skiing as we know it today' ?
I'm just curious if the programme can back it up as it is the sort of thing drunk Brits like to claim, and it suggests here that the Swiss are confirming it is true. I'm sure that the Norwegians and Finns and Russians have attached planks to their feet for millenia, but that doesn't mean they did downhill and slalom and super gs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No question, we invented recreational skiing and ski racing.

Like soccer, and cricket, we now get thrashed at it - but we did invent it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Although St Anton likes to claim that modern ski technique was invented there by Hans Schneider too...
snow conditions
parlor wrote:

Like soccer, and cricket, we now get thrashed at it - but we did invent it.

Could you at least call it football please - not soccer.
latest report
FranzKlammer wrote:
How about 'we invented skiing as we know it today' ?

I still doubt Wink People were doing slalom (read: going just down the hill) way before that Wink But yes as someone wrote already, Lunn put rules together, and he organized first WCH. But that hardly qualifies as "inventing skiing".
snow conditions
Ha ha, primoz is jealous! Laughing Toofy Grin

No, of course Arnold Lunn didn't invent skiiing. The clue is in the name. It was actually invented by his Russian sister-in-law, Clementine Trotts-Ski.
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
Ha ha, primoz is jealous!

Not really Razz To be honest I don't care who invented it. The thing I do care is, that I can ski from October till April/May... daily Laughing So because of me, it can be Englishman, Japanese guy, Mexican or someone who lived in caves 8000 years ago, who invented skiing. Just that they did it, so big thanks to anyone who did this Wink
snow conditions
parlor wrote:

There is no question whatsoever.

"We" (as in the British) most certainly did not.

Recorded recreational skiing and ski racing originated in Norway, including the first of what could be described as slalom races.

Admittedly, most of what they initially did (in the late 19th/early 20th century) for both recreation and competition was what we now call nordic skiing (including ski jumping), rather than what we now call alpine skiing, but if we are just talking "skiing" for recreation and competition, there is no doubt whatsoever that the British did not invent it.

The first true downhill alpine skiing did probably originate in Switzerland and was done by British ex-pats.
latest report
Actually what the Brits did was invent the ski Holiday, they also played a big part in developing Downhill skiing as a sport.

In Murren there is a Memorial to Sir Arnold Lunn, upon which is written the following "It was here in Mürren that Arnold Lunn set the first slalom in 1922 and organised the first world championship in downhill and slalom racing in 1931."

Sir Arnold was I believe the person who persuaded one of the Murren Hotels (possibly the only hotel in those days) to stay open for the winter with the promise that he would bring in sufficient people to justify the expense of doing so. In those days one had to walk up the hill before skiing down it, In 1913 the WAB was persuaded (very possibly by the Brits) to stay open in the Winter from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg, regular winter opening on the Grindelwald side eventually occured in 1934 although prior to that it did run 3 trains a day up that side to carry the mainly English bobsleighers to the bob run, so I guess as a sport it could be said that true Downhill skiing started in 1913 when it became possible to go up the mountain by train instead of by foot
snow conditions
Downhill skiing is broadly acknowledged as the invention of Norwegians. It was seen by British explorers heading for the Arctic Circle, who published articles in the 1830s. By that time, skis were widely used by the Norwegian military to get around mountains quickly.

Since skiing has a history of at least 4000-5000 years, and mountains have slopes, it's more than likely that prehistoric skiers were using gravity to slide downhill at quite an early time.

The Norwegian inventor and downhill skiing expert Sondre Norheim was working with sidecut in ski design in the 1850s. Gold miners in California were holding 'straight-line' ski races, using skis over 4m and 5m long, in the 1860s. They used a primitive form of ski wax.
ski holidays
This website on Sondre Norheim is worth a look:

http://www.sondrenorheim.com/history.htm
snow conditions
So, in essence, we British invented sitting on a train to do the nasty uphill bit.
Laziness is the font of innovation.
ski holidays
tiffin, correct, though we also invented the ski holiday Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
though we also invented the ski holiday

That I agree Smile Rest of us don't need holidays to ski Razz
snow report
Radio 4 .... When did that happen Puzzled Puzzled Laughing
latest report
Obviously the Norwegians have this one sewn up. In respect of alpine racing it is worth pointing out here that slalom derives from Norwegian and that while Arnold Lunn was critical in the development of alpine racing he was adapting previously existing concepts. In the case of slalom racing he was also aiming for a discipline that would train ski mountaineers in tree skiing. We're some way away from that now.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Crossing-An-Alpine-Pass-On-Ski

Is also worth a read. If I remember rightly this is the first instance of someone paying to go ski touring in the Alps (Conan Doyle sourced his skis from Norway). He also bought a long fat ski (8' by 4"). I'm sure they would have sucked on piste had such a thing exisited.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Kandahar Ski Club is named after the oldest downhill ski race in the world which, in turn, was named after Field Marshal Earl Roberts of Kandahar (who took his title from the relief of Kandahar). It was founded in 1924 by Sir Arnold Lunn and a group of Englishmen.

In those early days the rules for Downhill and Slalom races were being evolved and eventually, in 1931, Sir Arnold organised at Mürren the first World Championships in Downhill and Slalom Racing. He did the same in 1935, these being the only occasions in history when one country has organised the World Championships of any sport on the territory of another country. It was not until 1936 that Downhill and Slalom Racing were admitted to the Winter Olympic Games.

http://www.kandahar.org.uk/
ski holidays
For those interested in the history, I can recommend the book I was given for Christmas - Two Planks and a Passion, by Roland Huntford. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Planks-Passion-Dramatic-History/dp/1847252362?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
The story of downhill skiing at the Winter Olympics

With the 2010 Winter Olympics underway in Canada, Great Britain is expected to have its usual lack of success in the blue ribbon downhill skiing events.

But, did you know that the sport owes its very existence to a father and son from rural Lincolnshire.

Simon Hare travels to the Swiss Alps to meet the 95 year old son and grandson of two men who transformed travel and winter sports.

And, he discovers how the sport came about, quite literally, by accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/lincolnshire/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8506000/8506248.stm
latest report
As gorilla says, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an early proponent of recreational skiing in the Alps, see this.
Note the quote (from the 1890s):
"the time will come when hundreds of Englishmen will come to Switzerland for a skiing season."
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Chris, that's a lovely piece of video - very nicely narrated and filmed, and it's the first time I've ever heard Sir Arnold Lunn's voice (he died in 1974) ... but ...

... the script perpetuates the myth that people only competed in skiing "one hundred years ago" by "travelling on the flat and across slopes." As above, people were racing down slopes 150+ years ago, and the British weren't involved at all.

Peter Lunn then reinforces the myth. He should know better, having written a book on the history of the sport!

It seems nice to believe that the British invented the idea of racing downhill on skis. What Arnold Lunn did was formulate a method of racing downhill through gates, against the clock, and he successfully lobbied the IOC to have gate-based events included in the Winter Olympics. He also wrote a large amount of brilliant literature.

On this occasion Wikipedia is more accurate than the Beeb, concerning Lunn's exact significance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Lunn
snow conditions
Programme starts in 45 minutes, then arguing can resume.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy