Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Telluride & Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
It's time to finally do a trip report on two of the famous NA resorts I've been to lately. I'm too lazy to do them individually due to the similarity between them: namely, I hit both of them at a low snow period! Sad

Jackson Hole & Telluride similarities (minus):

- Both are relatively difficult to get to, involving one EXTRA change of plane whereever you're coming from. (though hopefully by the end of this TR, you'll conclude as I do that they're well worth the hassle of getting there)

- Both are known more for their expert off-piste terrain, which inevitably translate into needing a lot of snow to cover up the rocks! Cool

- Both resorts are suseptable to warm weather/sun exposure: Jackson Hole's slopes are mostly facing south. So sun exposure turns old snow into slush in the afternoon, which freezes overnight into icy surface resembling bathroom tiles, impossibly edged by anything less than razor sharp freshly tuned edges. Similarly, Telluride is at a more southernly location so the suns are quite strong whenever it isn't snowing... Same result!

- Inevitably, I had the misfortune to hit both during a relative draught... Sad

- As a result of the drought, the pistes were quite hard and fast. Some like it, others not so much. The "expert" off-piste are mostly big fields of VW sized bumps. Once re-frozen overnight, it's quite a knee buster!

In short, I visited both resorts are less than ideal conditions. Sad

So much for the negatives. Now that that's out of the way, there're also a lot of positives:

+ Jackson Hole is next to the Teton National Park, stunningly beautiful. Telluride, while having less predigree, are also quite sharp looking. (photos below)

+ The village of Jackson Hole is a rather handsome village. Telluride is especially known for its tastful architecture, for those who're into such.

+ Both boast fantastic resturuants. Personally, I found the restuarant at JH a notch above Telluride.

+ For some reason, both have a reputation for being pricy. But I don't find that to be the case. Consider the quality of lodging and food, I found the price quite reasonable for the value.

+ There're indeed considerable steep off-piste terrain in both, which I sampled some and quite enjoyed. But there're a lot of terrain I wasn't able to sample either due to too many exposed rocks or lacking strong knees... I can see the potential on a good snow year, or by a stronger skier than me.

+ There're also enough intermediate terrain for some relaxing cruising, or some easy bumps & trees. But to be honest, for skier not accustom to steep off-piste, it can be limiting after 2-3 days.

Here, the similarity ends. There're a few differences:

* JH is a busier mountain. Especially the wait for the tram can be maddening. Telluride is totally un-crowded. Lift lines do not exist in Telluride. And one never had to worry about other skiers getting in the way.

* In the same vain, at JH, the "feel" is excitement, Telluride feels more laid back.

* Telluride has a rather peculiar lift schedule: most of the lifts accessing the best terraicloses at 3:15!!! After missing out a lot of skiing in the afternoon for 2 days, I had to resort to skipping lunch in order to ski where I want! While it's not unusual for many resorts to have SOME lift closing earlier, in Telluride, the MAJORITY of upper mountain lifts closes early. What's left after 3:15 are rather slim picking...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 14-03-10 5:29; edited 8 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Non(alpine)-skiing activities:
Jackson Hole wins this hands down, not surprisingly. Its proximity to Yellowstone park means there's A LOT of variety of things to do off skis. Though a car would be neccessary to access many of that.

There are other things to do in Telluride too, again it would be easier done if one has hired a car. Some in our group did just that.They visited Ridgeway(about an hour away), which has an ice-climbing park and a clothing-optional spa, and found it nice.

I brought my x-c skis with me on both trips (ok, x-c skiing is still skiing). But not having a car with me at Telluride, I couldn't get to the "better" (according to the locals) trails. The one loop I can access without a car I didn't find it particularly interesting. At Jackson Hole, I did a lot of x-c skiing and still more that I didn't have time to get to (I did hire a car there).

I would happily go back to either place for the skiing. Though I'd prefer to have a car in for the non-skiing activities, especially if the snow isn't ideal.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 16-03-10 19:36; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here're some of the ledendary scenary each is famous for. I hope my photographic skill measures up and do them justice...

Telluride...

Back of Black Iron Bowl (out of bounds)

"Gallopping Goose" trail:

Looking down from the edge of Revelation Bowl:

Seen from the side of the piste ("Bridges"):

x-c skiing in the valley:

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 14-03-10 6:00; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jackson Hole:

Village of Jackson Hole (town square with its elk antler gates):

village square at dusk (with statue of JH symbol):

village square at night:

Random scence from the piste:

Ransom scence enroute from airport to village:

The Grand Tetons:

x-c skiing at the foot of the Tetons:

Old historic cabin near x-c trail head:

National Elk Refuge:
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good work sorry you didn't get luck of the draw with the snow but a nice double header trip to go on. Forgot how beautiful JH is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sweet pics.

Only been to Telluride, on an over the head bluebird day.

It's worth going back to when it has snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc, did you get to ski Grand Targhee at all? I seem to remember that gets less sun than JH...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, GT also a lot less busy. Had one of the most enjoyable days skiing of my life at Grand Targhee. Pity it's the poster resort for the middle of nowhere.

I went to Jackson in what they thought was a bad year but it snowed at lot when we were there. Having said that if you went down the Hobacks after 12 or so it was f . . . airly heavy going. I thought the Q for the tram was a pain too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Curently Telluride has the best snowpak in Colorado. This mainly due two recent storms . Overnight it has snowed again & is forecast to continue today however, they are predicting some Thunder & Lighnting later !

If you want ski the hill all to yourself then Telluride wins hands down over JH.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
Sweet pics.

What's bad for skiing (sunshine), is great for photograph. Cool

kitenski wrote:
abc, did you get to ski Grand Targhee at all? I seem to remember that gets less sun than JH...

Yes, did it on one of the day. Again, due to lack of new snow, it was so-so. (mind you, not bad at all. Just nothing particularly memorable)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 14-03-10 15:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Curently Telluride has the best snowpak in Colorado. This mainly due two recent storms . Overnight it has snowed again & is forecast to continue today however, they are predicting some Thunder & Lighnting later !

The "best in Colorado" in a historical poor snow year for Colorado! rolling eyes

The real issue isn't so much the snowpack. Yes, it's still a bit on the low side but not dangerously so. There're exposed rocks but majority of terrains are open and safe to ski.

The real problem is the high temperature between storms. We arrive merely 1 week following a 2' dump. But there were 2 days of 50 degree temperature in between. So everything not groomed were just re-frozen ice!

That's when the early closing of the lift really, really hurts. Before 10, everything was just painfully hard. So it's a mad dash to ski what's soften up between 10 and 3!

The situation is not help that Telluride has mostly short lifts serving small section of the mountain. So it takes multiple lift rides to get from one sector to another. And like most resorts in the Rockies, most lift stop ten or twenty metres short of the top/ridge (good for operation on windy days, not so good for getting from front to back). So there's lots of short uphill walk or traverse to get to a lot of the advance terrain. Hike that takes time (and legs) out of actual skiing within a "compressed" day.

Quote:

If you want ski the hill all to yourself then Telluride wins hands down over JH.

Very true. It's the most un-crowded "well-known" resort I've ever skied.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 14-03-10 15:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Sweet pics.

What's bad for skiing (sunshine), is great for photograph. Cool

A lot of the time Telluride has both Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just came back from a 18-day trip to Colorado.

Don't think there is anything wrong with the snow in the 8 resorts (Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Aspen, Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Loveland) I skied and one I visited but not skied (winter Park). I think one Snowhead found excellent snow in Steamboat too.

Pretty strong sunshine too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is Dumping heavy here in T,Ride since lastnight. Epic Deep Powder allday.

Tomorrow should be another Awesome Powder Day!

UPDATE. Stopped dumping at 5:03pm local time , sun is out.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-03-10 1:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, nice pics and thanks for posting. As long as Jackson Hole has the reputation as the US answer to Chamonix it will remain on my must ski list. Snow cover is such a lottery. Shame you didn't get some fresh but you'll be lucky next time.
latest report
On the whole I find the north american nightlife very very dull. Some people say its noce to experience a service culture. My take on it is that they are cynical machines. The terrain and countryside are invariably lovely and snow conditions usually good though. The lack of true ski to door resorts and flight and transfer times mean that for me, Euriope is far the better option.
snow report
abc, I was in Jackson in mid-Feb and your TR mirrors the report that I'd have written if I'd had time. I arrived at the tail end of a storm that dropped 48" of fresh powder, but I was amazed by how quickly conditions deteriorated on the lower mountain. The temperature was consistently well below freezing all the way to the base, but the sunny aspect meant that low ungroomed runs were unpleasantly hard in the morning - not hard to ski but definitely hard to enjoy.

Having said that, most runs on the upper mountain were in great condition. The exceptions were the double blacks: all had bare patches of verying severity, and some were closed. I was particularly disappointed that Corbett's was only open for one day of my trip and I missed my opportunity - I'm sure I'd have made a mess of it but I definitely wanted to give it a go. The positive spin is that it gives me a good reason to return when the snow's better.
snow conditions
Both Telluride and Jackson Hole are on my re-visit list.

Snow being much of a gamble, I will plan my visit differently. I will hire a car and prepare to drive further away for sightseeing and to other destinations. Save my legs for the good snow days.

Both places have so much to offer both on and off slopes. I can see myself going back more than once. So many great places to ski, so little time.
ski holidays
OK, very very warm on this St Patty's day in Telluride.

New Storm approaching Thursday night & allday Friday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy